The Depopulation Agenda

mixed_biscuits

I don't understand opposition to the concept that the Earth is a finite system and that all population growth is unsustainable in the long run. We're already testing the limits of the ecosystem to support the population we have.

What's the alternative proposition? Unlimited growth forever, or rather, until ecosystem collapse forces a natural correction?
Unlimited population growth won't happen because mouse utopia

john eden

male pale and stale
"
Human beings are not fruit flies (the species of choice that the neo-Malthusians love to cite). Their reproductive behavior is profoundly conditioned by cultural values, standards of living, social traditions, the status of women, religious beliefs, socio-political conflicts, and various socio-political expectations.

Smash up a stable precapitalist culture and throw its people off the land into city slums, and due ironically to demoralization, population may soar rather than decline. As Gandhi told the British, imperialism left India's wretched poor and homeless with little more in life than the immediate gratification provided by sex and an understandably numbed sense of personal, much less social, responsibility. Reduce women to mere reproductive factories, and population rates will explode."

john eden

male pale and stale
"Conversely, provide people with decent lives, education, a sense of creative meaning in life, and above all free women from their roles as mere bearers of children---and population growth begins to stabilize and population rates even reverse their direction. Indeed, population growth and attitudes toward population vary from society to society according to the way people live, the ideas they hold, and the socio-economic relationships they establish."

luka

i cant hack any of that libcom stuff, even when it's unquestionably right it gives off a bad odour. thirdform has left me with a hatred of communists so intense i genuinely think we should incinerate them all.

john eden

male pale and stale
i cant hack any of that libcom stuff, even when it's unquestionably right it gives off a bad odour. thirdform has left me with a hatred of communists so intense i genuinely think we should incinerate them all.
That's a shame. :)

john eden

male pale and stale
I think I read something somewhere about millennials having less sex because they are So Online and that is now taking over as a way to relieve boredom.

An older public health colleague recalls doing a contraception talk to some young adults in the 1950s. He asked them why people had sex and someone at the back shouted "cos it's cheaper than going to the cinema mate!".

john eden

male pale and stale
The population thing cuts across a lot of other stuff - the great replacement theory, anxiety about kids becoming sexless blobs, anxiety about not having enough (white) people to care for us when we are old, a way to blame poor people for climate change, a way to blame career women for being annoying, islamophobia, it's all in there.

john eden

male pale and stale
Also that whole noughties "benefit street" reality show stuff was a rerun of the Malthusian "poor people breed too quickly, they spend their money on bad things" schtick. This is basically middle class anxiety about poor people having more fun than them generally and better and more frequent sex specifically.

shakahislop

one thing i end up thinking about quite a lot when i travel around the world is how rapid 20th C population growth is one of the key things that has shaped wherever I am. its pretty visible everywhere. even england. but also you know. kathmandu. some village in kenya. wherever.

not saying its a bad thing. just that its an important thing if you're trying to work out what's going on.

luka

these soft jobs in the NGO sector are rotting your brain you need to get back in the Real World, can't spend your entire life on holiday