The Depopulation Agenda

shakahislop

Do any of you have any sources you consider authoritative re: population growth and resources? It seems like A) a logistical nightmare to quantify this stuff and B) almost always without precedent.
from what I understand of that 'space', the predictions that people take most seriously are the UN ones, though i'm sure there's a load of people who know a lot who disagree with them. i vaguely remember that a few years ago those predictions started to say that globally speaking population growth was slowing down, would plateau in 2050, at about 10 billion people or something. i'm probably wrong on the numbers but i think that was the gist of it

sus

The degrowth movement, with its youth centers in Berlin and New York, is related to this I think. But less misanthropic. The focus is still on carrying capacity, but more on cutting down consumption than number of people. Which is better I think.

Of course the problem with degrowth is any national culture that follows it shoots itself in the foot w/r/t the global arms race.

shakahislop

i guess the obvious thing to say here is that its just basic that the issue, if there is one, is about consumption and not necessarily people. and that is not something that the world has been able to get a handle on or figure out. the most pressing aspect obviously being carbon emissions.

shakahislop

it is pretty interesting when you end up somewhere which has been depopulated. bits of baltimore are like that. all these empty houses. detroit where by this point half the houses have been torn down coz there's no-one to live in them. all these empty fields where the city should be.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I
Fancy ignoring the mention of nuclear fusion in the very first line.

I agree such a world is sub-ideal, but the question is, "Does the Earth, practically speaking, have a finite carrying capacity that we should be concerned about?" and the evidence overwhelmingly points to "No."

And the picture I painted was a world with hundreds of trillions of people. Even our great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren will live in a world with, at most, a thousandth of that number. There's no reason we can't have a hundred billion humans and still leave 80% of the planet as a nature reserve given the technology of circa 2200 AD. It would take coordination, we'd have to really care about that sorta goal, but that's not the question at hand, the question is what's possible.
I appreciate that blithe optimism and faith in Progress is kind of your thing, but come on. There was jubilation the other day when the JET team managed to recover 1% of the power they were putting into the machine. For five minutes.

That is not a solution to the problems we face right now.

shakahislop

its not like that any more, but i vaugely get the impression that overall bits of brooklyn were quite depopulated in the 70s, as well as puerto ricans and african americans moving in. not sure though.

shakahislop

i suppose a lot of the really rural bits of england would have had a lot more people around on a daily basis. its the interesting thing about walking through fields in england, i'm sure this isn't a new idea to anyone, that there are so few people about despite still being places of agricultural production. quite a depopulated landscape all things considered, compared to how many people would have been out and about doing things in the fields in like 1950

luka

yes its a desert basically. very depressing walking through fields, utterly miserable.

luka

i remember losing the path in Essex once and trudging through fields for what felt like miles and there was a middle aged man in front of me talking on his phone, probably to some woman whod scorned him, divorced him, cheated on him whatever, pissed out his nut, couldnt walk in a straight line,
this bleak landscape, totally desolate, sky just all greyed out stratus opacus, winter, misery, he ended up passing out in a hawthorne hedge, i just left him there obviously

shakahislop

i remember losing the path in Essex once and trudging through fields for what felt like miles and there was a middle aged man in front of me talking on his phone, probably to some woman whod scorned him, divorced him, cheated on him whatever, pissed out his nut, couldnt walk in a straight line,
this bleak landscape, totally desolate, sky just all greyed out stratus opacus, winter, misery, he ended up passing out in a hawthorne hedge, i just left him there obviously
i always loved getting smashed in fields, it's a great place to be drunk, better than a pub, way better walking home drunk through fields and darkness than down some arterial road. the english countryside and our collective alcohol issue evolved together, they complement one another, like white wine and fish, that bird that stands on the back of zebras

shakahislop

me and my mate got smashed with his speaker on a footpath once, it was march and absolutely freezing, and unfortunately we were listening to amon tobin, it wasn't a great experience i have to say

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
me and my mate got smashed with his speaker on a footpath once, it was march and absolutely freezing, and unfortunately we were listening to amon tobin, it wasn't a great experience i have to say
Sounds like a memory you'll treasure forever, potentially tell grandchildren about, etc.

shakahislop

he built the speaker out of wood, it was powered by a motorbike battery we had to carry around, he's very clever, he used to make flutes out of carrots