sus

i mean i don't know where the term comes from, and i've got no evidence for this, but i feel pretty sure that the 'marxism' bit is just in there (or has been transmitted in a memetic sense) because it sounds like communism to a lot of people
Even our own Blissblogger in 2001 called academia "dominated by neo-Marxists"

sus

It's obviously much more true of humanities departments at liberal studies programs, than it is of all academics everywhere, but it's not a crazy thing to say, is my point. Give Big Bro some credit... Maybe he has a point!

forclosure

in power rangers terms, i feel like k punk was Zordon. @luka is that little robot that runs around saying ai ai aii
naah maybe its cause i wasn't here when he was on and i know some people feel odd about his "legacy" but comparing Fisher to Zordon seems a bit much (and some would say insulting)

forclosure

@linebaugh @luka you two need to get me in on these white people jobs the shit that i see certain people make legit money from and meanwhile i get chastised that i need to look proper job to make money

nah its not fair lol

forclosure

also here's another story @luka about the way i get people to listen on music here one time in some old facebook group i was in i listened to this horrible and i mean HORRIBLE Mars Volta album and went in exactly on why i thought it was shit mainly to do with how excessive it was and how every idea fell flat on its face one guy must've perked up and said how my description of it made him want to listen to it so he went and took a break from whatever discography he was going through i forget now and he felt the opposite of what i did

said it was a nice detour and break from the band he was listening to but he wanted to get back to it and thanked me

shakahislop

naah maybe its cause i wasn't here when he was on and i know some people feel odd about his "legacy" but comparing Fisher to Zordon seems a bit much (and some would say insulting)
if it's insulting i take it back; i wasn't here and i don't know anything about it

forclosure

I guess it's because Indian people are stereotyped as being nerdy.
i think it's also this weird thing where like if you "pass enough" in terms of doing enough that is considered cool in a certain kind of ways that and well the obvious pigment sense then you get claimed as such

i've seen more than a few white guys say "we've got Keanu Reeves" when talking about which racial group got the best action movie heros...even though he clearly ain't white

shakahislop

Even our own Blissblogger in 2001 called academia "dominated by neo-Marxists"
thinking about the academics i know, which are broadly in the social science field, i don't think i know many who would call themselves marxist. i mean they know what it is obviously but i don't think they'd identify with it particularly. am working with a couple now, one of whom is really very senior and at a very fancy university, and i don't think marxism is really on their radar all things considered. thinking back to university, i think for undergrad there were some people around who would have, but also others who would say that they belong to totally different academic traditions (eg, one i can remember, who said that other people called him a weberian).

that's anecdotal and i don't want to give the wrong impression, i'm not totally on top of these debates. i haven't studied it myself for more than a decade and i was a terrible student anyway. but there is something weird to me about a load of people using the term 'cultural marxism' about a loose selection of things and ideas which i'm personally not that sure are particularly marxist, at least insofar as i understand it, and which i i don't think many people use to describe themselves. like i said, i think one reason its a popular term on that bit of the internet is because it makes people think of communism. i can't prove it though, it's just what i reckon.

sus

thinking about the academics i know, which are broadly in the social science field, i don't think i know many who would call themselves marxist. i mean they know what it is obviously but i don't think they'd identify with it particularly. am working with a couple now, one of whom is really very senior and at a very fancy university, and i don't think marxism is really on their radar all things considered. thinking back to university, i think for undergrad there were some people around who would have, but also others who would say that they belong to totally different academic traditions (eg, one i can remember, who said that other people called him a weberian).

that's anecdotal and i don't want to give the wrong impression, i'm not totally on top of these debates. i haven't studied it myself for more than a decade and i was a terrible student anyway. but there is something weird to me about a load of people using the term 'cultural marxism' about a loose selection of things and ideas which i'm personally not that sure are particularly marxist, at least insofar as i understand it, and which i i don't think many people use to describe themselves. like i said, i think one reason its a popular term on that bit of the internet is because it makes people think of communism. i can't prove it though, it's just what i reckon.
I agree.

I just don't think the right's misunderstanding of the left is any more egregious than vice-versa. They're both sorta right and grasping at something but it's out of their frame of reference. To be fair members of each side would also struggle to identify their own fault and battlelines. I think grouping people is hard, you need to both be a somewhat insider (or at least lurker) AND need to be analytically inclined and alienated enough to actually do live sociology on your own tribe. It's a hard thing and I don't wanna nitpick or dunk on people because it's too easy to. And there is something important they're grasping at with these terms, on all sides. There's some real thing and everyone who adopts it sorta understands what it is, which is why they adopt it in the first place, they finally have a way to talk about something that previously had no name. Betty Friedan, of all people, speaks quite a bit on this in Feminine Mystique, what a breakthrough it is just to be able to put a word on your adversary. This is why Ghostbusters is a better metaphor than the Matrix.

luka

Learn to code.
as we all know it's impossible to do anything. no one chooses anything. i do what i do cos woops told me to do it. he does it cos someone told him to do it. it was the path of least resistance. no one has the slightest bit of control over what happens to them.