Slang Help Thread (like an updated Underground Dictionary)

sus

but then, i don't hang out with the kind of people who would know or say a word like that. actually there's a lot of similar friends that over the past five years or so people have started telling me off for saying, and i've stopped. even ironically 'slut' doesn't pass without comment. maybe rightly so, i never know with these things
Yeah "thot" is a bit softer, as "slut" has become cruel and harsh, "thot" is more playful and casual. Part of usage treadmills.

shakahislop

'Andy C' is london ghetto slang for 'Andrew C', think the american contingent would need that explanation, i asked about it when i was there. at the big train station. they call it london paddington coz they're quite pretentious in that city, really it should be called London West Station

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i had to look up the word sassy the other day, a lot of people describe theirselves that way on dating apps

version

Why would you type the extra letter when you can write "Londy" instead
john-thaw.gif

Leo

Sassy used to have a monthly "Cute Band Alert" where they would feature pix and Q&A with some indie band like the Lemonheads and Das Damen. It was like that generation's Tiger Beat.

Street slang does fascinate me. As probably the most fluid and influential pressure on language evolution. But How does it evolve, is it trickle down from the hardest man? Are there singular sources or collective misinterpretations?
It especially makes me very sensitive and uncomfortable when it comes to the linguistic dynamics of class. I come from a working class background and have become middle class, and feel like I can empathise with the performativity and restrictions at play from both directions. This might sound strange but I spend a lot of time listening to people and feeling like they sound trapped. Does anyone else feel that? Maybe people read or listen to me and feel that way!

I realise that post sounds arrogant and also
Very basic but you can add something clever to it and teach me something

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Trapped

Synonyms & Near Synonyms for trapped
Antonyms & Near Antonyms for trapped

trapped
verb
past tense of trap
Synonyms & Antonyms of trapped (Entry 2 of 2)
1to catch or hold as if in a net
  • an ambitious young man who was now trapped in a series of shady business deals
Synonyms for trapped
Words Related to trapped
Near Antonyms for trapped
Antonyms for trapped
2to take physical control or possession of (something) suddenly or forcibly
  • finally trapped the annoying fly in the palm of his hand
Synonyms for trapped
Words Related to trapped
Phrases Synonymous with trapped

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thou
Street slang does fascinate me. As probably the most fluid and influential pressure on language evolution. But How does it evolve, is it trickle down from the hardest man? Are there singular sources or collective misinterpretations?
It especially makes me very sensitive and uncomfortable when it comes to the linguistic dynamics of class. I come from a working class background and have become middle class, and feel like I can empathise with the performativity and restrictions at play from both directions. This might sound strange but I spend a lot of time listening to people and feeling like they sound trapped. Does anyone else feel that? Maybe people read or listen to me and feel that way!
Well as a very middle-class person from Oxfordshire I certainly find myself at times unable to avoid code-switching - I think that's what you call it right? Though that may be more to do with the way I pronounce words than the words I use... but it's all related of course.

I do like the idea of a guy - Eugene Landy - who I suppose sort of straddled two worlds (or at least certainly saw himself as doing so) in that he was an academic but also had some sort of background in show business and knocked around with Brian Wilson and other celebrities, writing a book for straights dealing with the underground. I think that most of us read this stuff for the sake of learning, seeing how much we already know... what's changed and what has stayed the same and basically cos we are all interested in and in some cases part of subcultures - that's what dissensus is, a load of people who are fascinated by that kind of thing. But just imagine a lawyer trying to represent a biker gang and he's negotiating with them with the book in one hand so he can translate or a doctor trying to revive a collapsed hippy desperately clutching this book as he does so... I strongly suspect however that it would have been unwise to rely on such a book in a true life and death situation....