vimothy

yurp
in times of crisis, ppl fall back to wanting to "do something", and aren't overly focused on whether what they propose to do is likely to bring about the ends they want, that's what I think. they also confuse the moral rightness of an outcome with its inevitability or likelihood. financial war with russia (and funnelling arms into the ukraine) is the "right thing to do", and bc it's the right thing to do it's going to lead to putin's defeat. it just has to.

craner

Beast of Burden
I haven't proposed anything, though, all I've said is that I think Putin is doomed.

For some reason, this has triggered Vimothy and Hands. Not that I am jumping to any conclusions here you understand...

craner

Beast of Burden
Mikhail Khodorkovsky — an exiled oligarch who was once the richest man in Russia — said on Friday that Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine has "significantly reduced" the longtime president's chances of remaining in power.

"I'm convinced that Putin hasn't got much time left. Maybe a year, maybe three," he told CNN during an interview, adding later, "Today we are no longer thinking in terms of him being around another decade as we thought a week ago."

Young wolf of the Yeltsin era

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I haven't proposed anything, though, all I've said is that I think Putin is doomed.

For some reason, this has triggered Vimothy and Hands. Not that I am jumping to any conclusions here you understand...

If we’re not looking at a post-Putin world we’re being exceedingly short sighted so agree with you (for different reasons). Events can move quickly, decades in days etc but to be fair you panicked and dropped your fave MC - Cyril Sneer. I can’t always do Twitter 140 character posts, it rots thought architecture

Of course Putin’s doomed, he’s 70 this year. Problem - Putin is a survivor. By any means goes a long way. That’s also part of the narrative. Is a messy end in sight for a leader like this too? Always, as is sticking round til we’re late into 2029/30. If we wake up in the morning or next week/month/season/year to find he’s been monster munched by the ghost of Warne/fsb bullet, retired or goes via natural causes, don’t get me wrong I may have an actual drink. Decade is fucked enough already (ta ‘19 too)

Toppling Vlad will take more pressure. Bloke is cosmically obstinate and you have to be wary of information depicting Russian forces as poorly equipped. A new generation was blooded in the inferno of Syria’s apocalypse. If he then offers peace terms, poor or generous from a position of mission completed, the western world is weak willed enough to say “oh alright then guv, got any spare gas? Here’s a special McVlad burger is your honour”. Then you poison the cunt

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Putin is doomed
To paraphrase a famous English guy, in the long run we're all doomed. The question is when.

Mugabe hung on into his 90s. Stalin died in power. And etc.

To be sure, there are plenty of counterexamples, and sometimes a dictatorship - any regime - seems quite secure until it suddenly isn't. But equally, dictators are surprisingly good at hanging onto power (or maybe not surprising, one assumes the skillset for taking and consolidating power is closely related to the one for retaining it) thru seemingly unsurvivable circumstances.

It certainly seems like Putin has lost his touch and catastrophically blundered, and it wouldn't hugely surprise me if this leads to his nearish future downfall but I also wouldn't yunno, bet the farm on it.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Also, what guarantee is there that what replaces him will be better, or more democratic?

A nation coming off - probably - a humiliating defeat, with its economy in shambles, doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for a thriving democracy. In fact we've been before with Russia, 30 years ago and it lead to...this. And I have exactly zero faith that Western (and this time, Chinese I guess) policymakers have learned anything from the last time around. We'll probably stick the boot in again and be shocked - shocked! - at the eventual results.

Let me unmistakably clear - fuck Putin, fuck this garbage war, the sooner he's gone the better. I'm just extremely skeptical that his removal will automatically lead to something substantively better.

craner

Beast of Burden
I am not really into this NFZ idea at all and it's precisely what I mean about waging war by Twitter. Very, very bad idea.