What was the first song you remember dancing to?

shakahislop

i'm joking but maybe there is a kind of lineage between queen and ed sheeran, both of whom use aspects of hiphop or at least rapping in their tunes. its a bad lineage. an evil lineage.

Leo

really talking about queen phase II (the more popular version). they were glammy hard rockers with all the operatic nonsense for half their career.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Round a favourite auntie’s house in Belfast, she had stacks of records but she’d do a kind of jig with me stood on feet mimicking steps to

shakahislop

These are all better than the real answer, which I think unfortunately was probably The Conga, the Macarana, or Saturday Night at a school disco.

@WebEschatology if you want to know about the cultural poverty of the towns, the fact that this the only event most people would have danced at until they were like 15. there was nothing else. i think apart from that the first dance i would have done was moshing at a Raging Speedhorn gig

IdleRich

IdleRich
These are all better than the real answer, which I think unfortunately was probably The Conga, the Macarana, or Saturday Night at a school disco.

@WebEschatology if you want to know about the cultural poverty of the towns, the fact that this the only event most people would have danced at until they were like 15. there was nothing else. i think apart from that the first dance i would have done was moshing at a Raging Speedhorn gig
Yeah was probably the Birdie Dance or that one where it goes "Superman" or whatever that they played at kiddie discos.

The only cultural event for "adults" in my village was the so-called Yip-Yip where they dressed up as cowboys and tried to sing country tunes about being a plumber from Faringdon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What were you all like as children?

I once pissed myself in the school assembly – must have been 5 or 6.

That about sums me up.

Leo

I was a skinny, quiet nerd. not much has changed.

but being halfway decent at sports offset some of the anxiety.

boxedjoy

not self-conscious and preening about their taste like adults is.

I suppose taste is never wholly perfect, or innocent, except in the case of luka.

this really gets to the heart of why I think the role of the critic is so vital when it's performed well - to engage with the culture around us, we have to examine our own aesthetics and biases, why do we like the things we do and dislike the things we don't? I don't believe there's such a thing as context-free listening or consumption and being able to understand that context can illuminate so much.

Benny Bunter

Dunno if it's the first music I danced to, but I remember bopping around to the Jive Bunny megamix album at the local youth club when I was about 8 years old. Probably why I still love old 50s and 60s rock n roll music to this day.
Jive bunny was MASSIVE back then, I think they were number 1 in the charts and everything. Anyone else remember it?

forclosure

Raging Speedhorn sound like one of those metal bands i know i've heard of at least but always appear on festival bills in one of the smaller tents

also look you might think its "cultural poverty" but at least its honest i'd rather take that than you trying to lie like it was some hard to find Todd Mancuso edit

• Love
Reactions: Leo

forclosure

What were you all like as children?

I once pissed myself in the school assembly – must have been 5 or 6.

That about sums me up.
i don't know why you felt the need to share this with people but....ok

@Corpsey for all the rap you've listened to and written about this is the single biggest example of T.C.B. i've seen from you

T.C.B. = Typical Cracker Behaviour

Benny Bunter

Dunno if it's the first music I danced to, but I remember bopping around to the Jive Bunny megamix album at the local youth club when I was about 8 years old. Probably why I still love old 50s and 60s rock n roll music to this day.
Jive bunny was MASSIVE back then, I think they were number 1 in the charts and everything. Anyone else remember it?

You'll all probably laugh but there's actually tons of great music in there, brilliant to dance to.

Track 1: "In the Mood", "Pennsylvania 6-5000", "Little Brown Jug", "Let's Twist Again", "Rock Around the Clock", "Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie", "Tutti Frutti", "Wake Up Little Susie", "C'mon Everybody", "Hound Dog", "Shake, Rattle and Roll", "All Shook Up", "Jailhouse Rock", "At the Hop".
Track 2: "Tutti Frutti", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Ooh! My Soul", "Keep A-Knockin'". Chubby Checker samples: "Tutti Frutti", "Shout! Shout! (Knock Yourself Out)".
Track 3: "All I Have to Do Is Dream", "Silence Is Golden", "Rhythm of the Rain", "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", "Diana".
Track 4: "Do You Wanna Dance", "Do You Wanna Touch Me", "Get It On", "Teenage Rampage". Samples: "Hot Love", "Devil Gate Drive", "I'm the Leader of the Gang".
Track 5: "Hawaii 5-0", "Let's Twist Again", "Let's Dance", "Wipe Out", "Great Balls of Fire", "Johnny B. Goode" riff, "Good Golly, Miss Molly", "The Twist", "Summertime Blues" riff, "Razzle Dazzle", "Runaround Sue", "Chantilly Lace".
Track 6: "In the Mood", "Little Brown Jug", "American Patrol", "Pennsylvania 6-5000".
Track 7: "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (with Anyone Else but Me)", "Hold Tight", "The Coffee Song", "Lullaby of Broadway", "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "A String of Pearls", "Saint Louis Blues", "Chattanooga Choo Choo".
Track 8: "Shout", "March of the Mods", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Come Back My Love", "Runaway", "Poetry in Motion", "Lucille", "I'm into Something Good", "Help Me, Rhonda".

forclosure

i look forward to your "awkward" indie comedy where all the jokes are built around situations like this but cause its Britian its gonna have that same kind of miserable grubby vibe as a football stadium toilet

Benny Bunter

I remember all the kids skidding around on their knees on the youth club dancefloor to jive bunny. A couple of years later on it was hardcore - the Prodigy at the school disco, which gave me a similar feeling as a kid. Childish, energetic, sugar rush music