What was the first song you remember dancing to?

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
First time dancing at a club (with my sister at Rags in Camberley at an indie night) to

Had danced to lots of songs before as a rubbish breakdancer but when I think of my first dance it's at that club for whatever reason

Last edited:

Leo

advancing the timeline from first dance to first dance club experience: teenage years were spent going to rock shows, so no dancing, but then college years in NYC were my first exposure to clubs with DJs. All the early post-punk/new wave stuff was coming out: Spandau's "chant no. 1", soft cell "memorabilia", "love will tear us apart", Go4 "at home he feels like a tourist", slits "typical girls", au pairs, delta 5, blondie, talking heads, etc.

shakahislop

What were you all like as children?

I once pissed myself in the school assembly – must have been 5 or 6.

That about sums me up.
i think i was probably quite an odd one. obsessed with maths apparently. and i distinctly remember getting in trouble for sticking my hands down my pants to keep them warm. which i think is fine really. but socially unacceptable. i mean it is probably good i didn't make a habit of it, or more accurately that i got out the habit of it, because i don't think i'd get away with doing that out and about as an adult

luka

Since tracksuits came back into fashion all the men keep their hands stuffed down their trousers at all times. It's quite disconcerting.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Pretty sure I didn't actually dance to it but I first heard this when I was 8 or 9 - Messiah, who knows why, was the one UK breakbeat hardcore/rave/etc act (besides The Prodigy, I guess) to get a major label deal and American release, and my friend's older brother had their CD. He was mostly into, I think, KMFDM and Wax Trax type stuff - this being Chicago - and I guess Messiah could kinda fit into that framework. Anyway I only heard it once, had no idea what it was, but it really stuck with me and ~20 years later when I was tracing nuum roots (before I'd even heard of "the hardcore continuum") back thru jungle to ardkore I at some point stumbled upon this and had a surprisingly powerful nostalgia/deja vu reaction. I can still clearly envision that moment first hearing it yunno, 30 odd years ago.

As far as what I first actually danced to, probably some mid-90s alt rock bullshit on the radio. The first dance music I knew was "dance music" was Daft Punk, whose first record got a lot of play on Q101, which otherwise was yr basic expansive grunge/post-grunge Pearl Jam, Green Day, Soundgarden, etc situation. Then I got into hardcore (the punk kind) and that doesn't really have dancing per se. The first thing I remember actually proactively dancing to was I believe Elkin + Nelson - Jibaro, when I was about 30.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
What were you all like as children
Basically like Leo, a nerd (albeit not quiet) who also happened to be decent at sports

Then when I was 13 I discovered drugs and things went kinda sideways

If I could go back and tell my tween self anything it would 100% be "don't worry about being cool, none of this will matter in a few years; otoh, fucking up school etc will impact the rest of yr life"

Gotta make mistakes to learn from em tho

Reactions: Leo

DLaurent

'Kung Fu Fighting' on a compilation CD at home, but at school discos in early 90s things like '2 Unlimited' were pretty big.