uk comedy is in a nadir

version

if that's the case then how the rass do you just get through the week living here? must wake up every morning fighting the urge to not pull your eyes out
I bury my head in books and films and stuff I find more interesting, but yeah, it does wear on me.

version

Yeah, the weather's a factor too, also just familiarity. There are people who live in places I think look exciting who are probably sick of them after spending their lives there.

forclosure

@version
I don't mind British media, old or otherwise, that's set outside of Britain. It's Britain itself I find depressing. The architecture, the culture, the landscape.
this sounds like a specific kind of existential purgatory you got going on

Its not like say mine or thirds dislike of Britian which is rooted from a anti colonial axis where we feel both part of the country and completly divorced from it if anything your of the soil but the roots are poisoned

forclosure

Yeah, the weather's a factor too, also just familiarity. There are people who live in places I think look exciting who are probably sick of them after spending their lives there.
you should check out that provincial/small town nihilism thread i did the familiarity is often a big reason for people feeling sick of where they live but for you it sounds like even if you were to move to a different part of Britian you'd have to fight yourself from driving the moving van off the side of the road

that's how much you want out

i'd be very interested to know exactly what places you find "exciting" aswell

version

@version

this sounds like a specific kind of existential purgatory you got going on

Its not like say mine or thirds dislike of Britian which is rooted from a anti colonial axis where we feel both part of the country and completly divorced from it if anything your of the soil but the roots are poisoned
Yeah, totally. I just find the place very dull and claustrophobic, Ballard's suburbia.

version

i'd be very interested to know exactly what places you find "exciting" aswell
It's currently big, open landscapes without people. That's part of the appeal of America. That there's such a variety, mountains, deserts and the rest and it's huge.

Britain can feel like living in a model or something when you see what the rest of the world looks like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I would have never described myself as someone who hates the UK... but fuck me I'm glad I got out when I did.

version

I can't remember where I read it, maybe on the Red Scare sub, but I recently read some people saying they'd never seen the same loathing for one's own country as they had from certain English people, particularly middle-class liberals.

forclosure

It's currently big, open landscapes without people. That's part of the appeal of America. That there's such a variety, mountains, deserts and the rest and it's huge.

Britain can feel like living in a model or something when you see what the rest of the world looks like.
i mean there's a variety of that landscape yes but it's also just that....without people there's literally nothing there, its the old frontiersman myth and fantasy sure but there's the part that they were puritan colonialists claiming a land that they thought was theirs was owned by somebody else

and maybe just MAYBE i could be wrong you don't exactly strike me as the live off the land type lol or the live in a compoud to get away from everybody type either

the fucking Mormons had to go in the middle of the desert in order establish a town for themselves

IdleRich

IdleRich

One thing that is interesting about that though.... Britain feels small and in some ways it is... but Portugal has about as many people as London and so do about half the countries in Europe. A lot of them have small populations, small areas, small cities with small neat houses arranged in small neat rows. So yeah of course compared to the US (or Russia where I've personally spent more time) the UK is small but I really love Europe and much of that is smaller, for me it's not the (perceived) smallness that's the problem.

forclosure

I can't remember where I read it, maybe on the Red Scare sub, but I recently read some people saying they'd never seen the same loathing for one's own country as they had from certain English people, particularly middle-class liberals.
i don't think it has to do with English middle class as it is middle class across the board and honestly as a black brit just like right now sometimes you lot go COMPLETLY overboard with the self loathing

reparations are due yes but walking through the middle of Seven sisters road flagellating yourself isn't gonna solve the problem

version

and maybe just MAYBE i could be wrong you don't exactly strike me as the live off the land type lol or the live in a compoud to get away from everybody type either
I'm not into that live off the land, trad twitter thing. You can do that in Britain if you really want anyway.

mixed_biscuits

That article mentions the following people by name - Mark Thomas, Richard E Grant, Brian Cox, Geoff Norcott, Nazar Mohammad... I'm guessing that the last two whom he mentions as, respectively, "representing non-left views" and being killed by the Taliban are not the wokeists who are destroying British comedy... so, I take it hat you're saying UK comedy is controlled by the fearsome triumvirate of Mark Thomas, Richard E Grant and Brian Cox (does he mean the physics professor here or the actor?) and you're asking whether things would be better if they were banned.

Well, let me just say that I had no idea these guys were so powerful - it truly is a hidden power that I knew nothing about.
I'm referring to the editors who hack at scripts and performances before they air

forclosure

So yeah of course compared to the US (or Russia where I've personally spent more time) the UK is small but I really love Europe and much of that is smaller, for me it's not the (perceived) smallness that's the problem.
so then i have to ask if it's not the smallness then what is the problem(s)?

version

The people I most envy atm are the people who hop around doing ecological surveys or archaeological digs.

Everything has its pros and cons and there are doubtless tedious and uncomfortable aspects to the work, but heading off for a few weeks or months to measure rainfall in the Mojave or study trees in a forest somewhere seems cool to me.

forclosure

The people I most envy atm are the people who hop around doing ecological surveys or archaeological digs.

Everything has its pros and cons and there are doubtless tedious and uncomfortable aspects to the work, but heading off for a few weeks or months to measure rainfall in the Mojave or study trees in a forest somewhere seems cool to me.
i think those people would mostly be confused by your envy if anything