uk comedy is in a nadir

forclosure

yeah exactly and you hit the nail on the head that they're not going to the Mojave or various forest JUST to take in the atmosphere there's a specific reason and especially with all the climate change talk their role has gotten more important over time

version

I think it basically amounts to me just needing a change of scene, so any job that forces you to move around like that seeming appealing. I'd probably look more favourably on this place with some time away from it.

forclosure

I think it basically amounts to me just needing a change of scene, so any job that forces you to move around like that seeming appealing. I'd probably look more favourably on this place with some time away from it.
you would right now you might think i'm lyin but you definitly would

IdleRich

IdleRich
so then i have to ask if it's not the smallness then what is the problem(s)?
Well maybe I'm kinda jumping in a bit here and the answer for me is different from that for Version. For me I didn't so much move AWAY from the UK, as TO Portugal... I don't really have a problem with the way Britain looks or its size or the national psyche or whatever. I possibly did when i was little and saw films from US (mainly) but as I grew up my perspective changed I suppose - I didn't think that bigger roads with bigger cars next to bigger tower blocks was better. In fact I had what I want to call a realisation - but which is really just a change of opinion - that a lot of the reasons I had for disliking the UK compared to US were suddenly reasons for preferring it.

But now I just hate the political culture. The constant lying, the debasement of government, Brexit etc I mean I've said it many times before I'm sure, but the problem is that people in power realised that a lot of the rules they were supposed to follow were effectively no more than guidelines as they had way of being enforced. So things that people resigned for in the past cos they were awful, they now just go "fuck it I'm staying" and no-one can do anything. Right now this minute our PM is the first sitting leader to be convicted of a crime, he's mislead parliament countless times, being fined for breaking his own laws and... etc etc well we all know all this. Each one of these would have been a certain career ending offence not that long ago, but now they ignore it and you have Nadine "Really Fucking Particularly Fucvking Thick Even By The Standards of These Thick Cunts" Dorries on twitter calling Starmer a liar as she shares a picture of him eating a curry with a man who died in 2019 to prove that he broke lockdown laws. This fucking idiot is the culture secretary and she went on telly talking about the privatisation of Channel 5 the other day. The whole political class is not up to the job - they are thick as fuck, lying, grasping bastards and they are spiteful. They won a huge majority of seats with a minority of votes and they use it to line their pockets, bully immigrants and make the country worse. And it makes me really angry and really sad and really ashamed and I'm glad I don't share an island with them any more and I live in a place that is sunny and Boris Fucking Johnson isn't in charge oit.

TLDR; there is a load of stuff that I hate about the UK, but I get the impression that it's not at all the same stuff that Version hates, in fact there may not even be that much overlap (I mean I'm sure he hates Dorries, Johnon, Mogg etc like any right thinking person but I think his main issues with the country are different and arguably run deeper).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm referring to the editors who hack at scripts and performances before they air
So they're not mentioned by name in the article after all. OK. It's just this kinda amorphous vague thing that is probably out there but we don't really know who these people are?

version

I get the impression that it's not at all the same stuff that Version hates, in fact there may not even be that much overlap (I mean I'm sure he hates Dorries, Johnon, Mogg etc like any right thinking person but I think his main issues with the country are different and arguably run deeper).
I do hate that stuff, but you're right. It does run deeper. If it were a political thing then America obviously wouldn't be appealing either.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If Luke were here, he'd probably just say I need a holiday.
He's be bigging up England as the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

version

He's be bigging up England as the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
True, but he'd probably tell me to go on holiday too so I can appreciate just how great it is.

version

To be clear, I'm not arguing living anywhere outside Britain would be preferable. I wouldn't suddenly be over the moon if I were whisked away to a dying town in the American Rust Belt or a Russian village or something. I'm just envious of some of the landscapes out there. We've got some great stuff here, but dunno that it can really compare to proper mountain ranges, deserts and the like.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I do hate that stuff, but you're right. It does run deeper. If it were a political thing then America obviously wouldn't be appealing either.
Cos for me, if Boris Johnson was driving a bus with the whole Tory party in it and it accidentally went over a cliff and they all very unfortunately died screaming in terror, then that would almost fix the country for me. Except it wouldn't cos I feel that lately it has become a more spiteful place, i dunno if this leadership has encouraged it or revealed something that was there or if there was some kind of push-pull effect, but it seems that hatred of foreigners has increased, all these people demanding that lifeboats leave people to drown and so on. A vanishing of compassion, a tolerance of lying and stealing as long as it's your guys doing it., I dunno. But I do feel that the current leadership is really adding to that. Fish rots from the head down etc

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To be clear, I'm not arguing living anywhere outside Britain would be preferable. I wouldn't suddenly be over the moon if I were whisked away to a dying town in the American Rust Belt or a Russian village or something. I'm just envious of some of the landscapes out there. We've got some great stuff here, but dunno that it can really compare to proper mountain ranges, deserts and the like.
There are lovely bits here and there but you go there and what do you find? A car park that's already full, a fucking visitor centre with a gift shop, litter, dog shit, and hordes and hordes and hordes of other people.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah that's where we differ. To me it can. In its own way, but there really are beautiful bits of nature, great villages, fantastic old pubs and so on. And at the right time they are the best place in the world to be - as is some amazing bar or Portuguese beach at another time.

shakahislop

for me the uk is nicer than america. i'd take the uk (in general) over america (in general) i think, on that kind of objective level where you don't have to consider your individual situation, who you know in each place, all of that

think the uk suffers a bit from being right next to the rest of western europe, which i think is pretty much the best corner of the whole planet. more or less everywhere pales in comparison. i guess i'd draw the line somewhere around poland down to slovenia. a truly unique and lucky place all things considered

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are lovely bits here and there but you go there and what do you find? A car park that's already full, a fucking visitor centre with a gift shop, litter, dog shit, and hordes and hordes and hordes of other people.
The ancient Wistman's Wood on Dartmoor is now closed to visitors until further notice because selfish fucking bellends have been going there, lighting fires, leaving tons of litter all over the place, and breaking off bits of tree, no doubt to make imbecilic "crafts" with.

I do try to avoid sinking too far into misanthropy, but I can't avoid the feeling that a very large proportion of people in this country are total shitheads.
There's too many of us crammed in here for there to be any really 'wild' spaces except maybe for the north of Scotland, and so many of us just don't know how to behave.

forclosure

also @IdleRich i love reminding people that our culture secretary appeared on I'm a celebrity get me out here as a way of "connecting" with the british public

the more i think about it she's honestly our closest figure to Trump in as far as celebrity & politics/ entertainment and policy crossing and intermingling in ways they probably shouldn't its just she chooses to be very very vocal and loyal about her alleigance

she's like one of those 3rd string weed carriers in a rap crew who gets alot of attention and noteriety before getting locked away for 35 years cause of conspiracy and gun charges