The Heavy

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
btw I've never been a big Sunn O))) fan but I'll defend them against this "they're too knowing, too art, too bourgeois gatekeeper-approved" line

they're definitely more art dudes than yr Sleep and Electric Wizard types but they've never pretended otherwise

Southern Lord has put out or reissued a ton of cool, relatively obscure stuff over the years

which you might say is just another art thing - curation - but they've used their cachet to put a lot of people on, which you can't argue against

and I respect the commitment to an aesthetic vision in their own work, even if I have basically zero interest in listening to any of it

padraig (u.s.)

Could Laughing Hyena's count here?
I'd put them more in the proto-noise rock post-hardcore lineage - No Trend, Scratch Acid, etc

but since that is also basically an offshoot of Flipper, yes

the singer was also in one of the 3 or 4 greatest hardcore bands ever, Negative Approach

shakahislop

i wish the guy would stop intoning incantations or whatever he's up to but Bong take the doom thing a step further in their emphasis on guitar drones.

padraig (u.s.)

its why sabbath is still pretty heavy despite sounding tame comparatively to all its successors
quite a fair bit of 70s hard rock bizness still sounds heavy as a ton of bricks

case in point

stuff like this is why 70s hard rock, proto-doom, is still so heavily mythologized by long-bearded Electric Wizard types

pretty silly/awesome proto-metal cover art as well

version

What I think is interesting about the heavy is how immediate it is; immediate in the same way the emotional impact of a pop song is but typically left out of pop music. I think the bassline of this kate bush song is traditionally heavy but I cant think of many examples

blissblogger

There's heavy as in a set of musical techniques creating a feeling and heavy as thematics articulating that feeling.

This one has both - the singer singing as the personification of Depression, taunting the listener

version

I guess the heaviness that comes with dropping the tempo is to do with what Linebaugh's saying about movement, restricted or sluggish movement implying some sort of weight acting upon it.

shakahislop

I guess the heaviness that comes with dropping the tempo is to do with what Linebaugh's saying about movement, restricted or sluggish movement implying some sort of weight acting upon it.

amapiano kind of has that sluggishness and heaviness i think, not exactly to the same extent as electric wizard but certainly that's one of the things that sets it apart from other things in the same space

version

Garage heaviness.

It almost doesn't work due to the drums sitting on top of these big slabs of bass and the tune not being able to bounce and skip, but it somehow just about does.

version

The slower grime stuff's interesting. There's so much energy in the music and vocals then you get these plodding, lurching things like 'What', 'Morgue' and 'Fire Hydrant' and it still works.