Suggest an album to listen to and i'll give it a cursory once over

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
this one's good too, the wrong sounding drums, it's raw and unpolished

craner is this your favourite wu solo album? (or wu album)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'll revisit Heavy Mental – I'm cycling back through some of it now and it's growing on me like a psychedelic fungus.

I'll maybe do these like this, for as long as i do them - updating as i go and come back because let's face it listening to a whole album in one go is the sort of thing lord byron had to do because they didn't have spotify back then
Aphex Twin, Classics.
1. digeridoo: for the most part i find this quite unexceptional but when the digiridoo appears about 4 minutes in it becomes weirder and more intense. it doesn't sound crisp enough (on my speakers) to bang like, say, 'acid traks' still does. 6/10
2. flaphead: the flinty percussion here directly reminds me of something off 85-92 – i've youtubed it, it's 'actium'. (m33LLS, 9 years ago, sounds like actiums evil twin!) obviously there's none of the harmonic lushness of an 85-92 tune, it's more abrasive, dissonant sounds, layered and building. but as those types of tracks go this is excellent. 8.5/10
3. floam. okay, i'm seeing the vibe of this compilation now. distortion. acid. mania. nice to hear a bit of breakbeat. (this reminds me of the jilted generation or even fat of the land era prodigy sound. or maybe i'm thinking chemical brothers, block rockin beats.) and now a melody has snuck in, a bit of a boring one that goes nowhere and might as well not be there. definitely interesting to hear him operating in this minimal industrial space (compared to the aphex sound i usually seek out). i'd rate this as inessential though. clearly this is mood music and i'm unlikely to be in the mood sat on my sofa with the sun still up. 6/10
4. isoprophlex. electro sound, i've no sense of history and thirdform will shatter my knuckles with a ruler cos i didn't know this sort of sound existed in 92. typical sinister aphex refrain, a bit dreary. and again, its a sense of accretion of loops and sounds, of something significant emerging, growing from bare bones. this one really goes somewhere around 3 minutes and becomes something else, but not something entirely captivating. aphex as 'outsider' artist, mimicking joey beltram et al but its all a bit too thick and reverby to convince as rave music. having slated that riff as dreary it does communicate a powerful mood. you can see the foundations for his drill n bass shit here too, the drums becoming wilder and more flailing. 6.5/10
5. polynomial-c. promisingly/refreshingly opens with melodic shit, trance-y and therefore a bit cheesy and dated. the breakbeats again, practically jungle but rendered weightless in the mix. i can imagine this fitting on 85-92 as one of the less interesting tracks. oh hang about 3.10ish he's added another melody on top and it's become that little bit more haunting. this one's a bit more memorable than the rest of the tracks, for obvious reasons. maybe this could grow on me. decent. 7/10
6. tamphex. i'm going to stay on my tedious shit and relate the snare pattern here to dancehall/funky. up until 1min in when it goes all abrasive again. we're back in the territory of track 1-4 here. but this feels a bit more unhinged, certainly faster and more furious. i like the distorted voices. AGAIN the signature 2-3 note aphex riff that adds a bit of haunted atmosphere to things. the structure's nice and disjointed too, it stops and starts in unexpected ways. this is a bit too messy and mad for me to get into on the sofa but it's also messy and mad enough to stick out from what i've heard so far 7/10

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
is it only really entertaining reading somebody's opinions about music if they love it or hate it?

i think this thread has proven yes

martin

----
I can't find this on youtube – is that the joke?

I like this kind of thing, anyway, dark ambient, desolation – although I could happily, rapturously never hear it again

Nah, wasn’t meant as a joke – didn’t know it wasn’t on YT, or whether you were SLSKing these (originally requested ‘Head Over Heels’ by Cocteau Twins, then swapped it). Though admittedly going for one of the bleakest releases of that obscurist UK ‘80s industrial scene could be seen as a bit of a troll move after Prince.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A big problem is I keep thinking oh I'd much rather read Luka or Martin or Craner or anyone really doing this instead of me

A problem you all share

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Stop being a pussy and do Kirk tomorrow, we can finally bond over the genius of Kirk and get you out from the influence of these complete sadists who claim you’ll never love. You are love, maan