Explain to an american how lizz truss resigning can happen

linebaugh

I think I understand the crux of it now.

A second question would be- is americas position as global super power preventing a similar type of fluidity? If america wanst placed in the center of the global economy do you think mundane policy differences would uproot the goverment in a similar way?

Last edited:

shakahislop

I think I understand the crux of it now.

A second question would be- is americas position as global super power preventing a similar type of fluidity? If america wanst placed in the center of the global economy do you think bad tax law would uproot the goverment in a similar way?

i don't think so myself, although i don't know that much about US politics. I think it's more about the US constitution than its superpower status.

wild greens

I would add to all this that basically all England really does is take the piss, and she has become such a comical useless figure so quickly that she had no choice but to go

Once the tabloids are comparing you to a fucking lettuce it's game over

linebaugh

I fear you're missing the point
Rich as Ive said before there is absolutely no way an american president is resigning over what liz truss did, which is ultimatley boring polictical mintuae. Whats not boring political minutae is bill clinton getting a blow job. Do you see what Im getting at here?

I understand now in broad strokes why ousting truss can happen so the second question is, do you think the general institutions of the UK would harden, lose flexibility, if the uk suddenly became the worlds super power?

linebaugh

Can the rigidity of the americn system be ascribed primarily to its constitional make up or is rigidity thrust upon it by being the center of the global economy, bolstering it from the effects of all but massive change?

IdleRich

IdleRich
The ousting of Truss was cos she had lost all authority, partly due to the tax and other u-turns. I think that any leader that couldn't lead would be likely to step down, regardless of how they reached that point, that's the main thing here.

craner

Beast of Burden
I understand now in broad strokes why ousting truss can happen so the second question is, do you think the general institutions of the UK would harden, lose flexibility, if the uk suddenly became the worlds super power?

Well, we were, and we still had a parliamentary system. In fact, it was less rigid in those days: more coalitions, brittle parliaments, returning PMs. The most 'Presidential' we ever got was during the two decades of Thatcher and Blair.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Can the rigidity of the americn system be ascribed primarily to its constitional make up or is rigidity thrust upon it by being the center of the global economy, bolstering it from the effects of all but massive change?
I think the constitutional make-up is the main difference, certainly the immediate one.

craner

Beast of Burden
The fact that the American president has very circumscribed powers surely has something to do with it. I don't know what the shelf life of state governors usually is.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Foreign leaders and correspondents are saying the same things as me

After a succession of “implausible scenes” in parliament and No 10, “who will be Liz Truss’s successor? That’s the really big question. Because Brexit, and its chief architect Boris Johnson, have drained the Conservative party of all substance and competence.”

Le Monde also saw the decision to leave the EU as the ultimate origin of the UK’s current crisis. “Since the referendum, British governments have demonstrated, with ever greater talent, that Brexit only takes the UK further away from the promised land of recovered sovereignty and untrammelled freedom,” wrote Sylvain Kahn.

“‘Take back control!’, they all said. But the British are a very long way from doing that. No other EU member is in such a state … Since Brexit, Britain’s Conservative leaders have worked tirelessly to prove that EU membership was very far from the problem.”

Annette Dittert, the London correspondent for the German public broadcaster ARD, was another who trained her sights unerringly on the decision to leave. Truss was “now the third Conservative leader, after Theresa May and Boris Johnson, to fail to deliver on Brexit promises”, she noted.

When they look, future historians would find the roots of British politics’ “current insanity” in 2016, Dittert said. “Firstly, because Brexit has damaged the UK economy so lastingly that any extra market uncertainty leads to far greater turbulence than ever before.

“Secondly, because Brexit and the inherent magical thinking of a sovereign UK that can go its own way in the globalised 21st-century world, detached from international developments, marked the beginning of the end of rational thinking on the island.”