shit in art galleries

IdleRich

IdleRich
This what I'm talking about - though technically not in an art gallery I guess

LouiseB1.jpeg

LouiseB2.jpeg

She also had some stuff in the gallery which was also worth checking (well, some of it, of course)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Speaking of Louise Bourgeois makes me think of Nicki de Saint Phalle, I guess cos they both did those huge sculpture things at times. Anyway, I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of NdSP but I went somewhere in South London to see one of her films once along with another film by another artists which was about a cult waiting to go to meet god on a spaceship or something. That was a cool double-header though I don't remember the title of either film sadly. Hers may have been Un rêve plus long que la nuit which is a wicked title so I hope it was.

Leo

yeah its such a hit or miss thing. with you on the cool/good/fun stuff. everyone loves it, exactly like what you're saying, and it's also something that really feels like it's happening right now rather than some movement from the 70s or whatever that you're looking back on

a result of social media: art as the instagramable moment.

Leo

something i know the name of and can find a picture of, this is a thing i saw in some little town in mass called north adams which for some reason despite being in the middle of nowhere has a fucking huge warehouse full of contemporary stuff. america kicks the shit out of the UK for this kind of thing. this is by louise bourgois, i mean everything about how she's presented is a bit annoying, she's literally called bourgois, she's in all these big collections, she feels like the kind of thing that you're supposed to like, and mostly her stuff is boring i think. this sculpture though looks like some random boring thing at first but again gets at something i've never seen expressed so well elsewhere, that thing of being in bed and wrapped around someone else's body. this is the best photo i could find but it doesn't do it justice in the slightest

View attachment 13937

went to MassMOCA for the first time in 2021, great way to spend a weekend. the sprawl of buildings takes an entire day to view, then strolled around North Adams, visited the Clark Institute in neighboring Williamstown (even smaller than North Adams, dominated by Williams College), ate BBQ outdoors at the Freight Yard Pub, spent the night at the Porches.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Speaking of Louise Bourgeois makes me think of Nicki de Saint Phalle, I guess cos they both did those huge sculpture things at times. Anyway, I wouldn't say I was a huge fan of NdSP but I went somewhere in South London to see one of her films once along with another film by another artists which was about a cult waiting to go to meet god on a spaceship or something. That was a cool double-header though I don't remember the title of either film sadly. Hers may have been Un rêve plus long que la nuit which is a wicked title so I hope it was.
If anyone knows what that was (particularly the other film) I'd really like to find out/remember.

IdleRich

IdleRich
One of my favourite things in art gallery was Richard Wilson's 20:50 which I would always make a point of seeing whenever I went to the Saatchi (until they finally got rid of it a few years ago). Doesn't look so good in the pics but basically it's just a room filled with oil and walking into it was quite amazing.

RichradWillson.jpeg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of my favourite things in art gallery was Richard Wilson's 20:50 which I would always make a point of seeing whenever I went to the Saatchi (until they finally got rid of it a few years ago). Doesn't look so good in the pics but basically it's just a room filled with oil and walking into it was quite amazing.

View attachment 13941
Pretty sure I saw that at one point. Was it part of the Apocalypse exhibition ca. 2000?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno where it was originally displayed but he made it in like 83 or something I think, Saatchi bought it and it was in the cellar of his gallery in Kings Road for years, it was the only permanent piece, the other floors were all given over to temporary shows but that one was there for a long time. I've read that the room isn't really filled with oil, in fact it's got a raised floor and it's really only an inch or two deep but if that is the case it's impossible to tell.

Last edited:

catalog

I remember seeing that. You walk in and it's like a swimming pool filled with oil?

Very reflective and you're quite close to it, trying to figure out what it is.

Was in the saatchi gallery when it was somewhere like St John's Wood.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember seeing that. You walk in and it's like a swimming pool filled with oil?

Very reflective and you're quite close to it, trying to figure out what it is.

Yeah that's definitely it. Of course it's different every time it's moved to a different room. Did you like it?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just out of interest, would Charles Saatchi (who is, by all accounts, a total prick) legally be able to touch you if you were to found a gallery called the Saaatchi Gallery?

Leo

Maybe it was St John's Wood first.

yeah, I first saw it there, then later at the current Saatchi location.

that st john's wood location was cool, a converted old paint factory, in a really residential area about a 20 minute walk from the closest underground stop. it was me and maybe one to two other people any time I went. also remember walking by abbey road studio on the way back.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You saw the Richard Wilson piece? What did you think of it? To me it's one that has always stood out and stuck with me.

catalog

Yeah I thought it was really good.

Sort of a weird experience, cos you're wondering what it is for a bit.

I remember my friend taking me in there (he had seen it first) to see my reaction.

And the oil was close enough to touch.

Same place as tracey emins bed, which I think is the reason we went, but by the time we got to it, felt a bit underwhelming.

Not sure if it was same exhibition, but I also remember around that time seeing Sarah lucas' cigarette sculptures, like 5000 cigarettes stuck together into a Jeff koons type dog. That was good, strong smell of tobacco.

I'm trying to think what sort of time it was, probably 2000 or thereabouts. Uni time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I thought it was really good.

Sort of a weird experience, cos you're wondering what it is for a bit.

I remember my friend taking me in there (he had seen it first) to see my reaction.

And the oil was close enough to touch.
They used to have loads of signs saying "Don't touch it will stain your clothes"

catalog

Very dark room and very reflective. I can see it now. The whole trick of it was wondering what the fuck it was, what the container was etc

catalog

yeah, I first saw it there, then later at the current Saatchi location.

that st john's wood location was cool, a converted old paint factory, in a really residential area about a 20 minute walk from the closest underground stop. it was me and maybe one to two other people any time I went. also remember walking by abbey road studio on the way back.
Yes that must've been it