CorpseysEvilTwin

I'm referring to idealism/materialism...materialism merely concerns the subjectively predictably intractable bits of the fundamentally idealist existence.

Yes, if existence is fundamentally idealist, then one must logically accept God. It is impossible to an atheist or secularist and cling to the idea of a fundamentally idealist existence.

mixed_biscuits

Atheists normally mean some bloke with a beard tho

CorpseysEvilTwin

I guess if God = the all-encompassing consciousness, yes

Atheists normally mean some bloke with a beard tho

But this is different to the materialist assertion that there is something rather than nothing. And it is an assertion, let us be frank. But even materialism itself is itself a philosophy, a word. When materialism becomes a sensuous thing to be for us, then it shall cease to be a philosophy, and resultantly, philosophy as the highest culmination of religious thinking will be confined to the museum of history. The atheists you have in mind are fundamentally agnostics, and agnostics are worse than Stalinists. You must go beyond Spinoza.

mixed_biscuits

But this is different to the materialist assertion that there is something rather than nothing. And it is an assertion, let us be frank. But even materialism itself is itself a philosophy, a word. When materialism becomes a sensuous thing to be for us, then it shall cease to be a philosophy, and resultantly, philosophy as the highest culmination of religious thinking will be confined to the museum of history. The atheists you have in mind are fundamentally agnostics, and agnostics are worse than Stalinists. You must go beyond Spinoza.
'Something' needn't necessarily be material; it could just be an effect of consciousness

CorpseysEvilTwin

What I'm trying to get at is whether for you, one's sexual orientation is determined or partly directed by something deeper than choice ie. by part of the 'substructure' you mention

object orientated choice itself is an ideological phenomenon and hence imaginary. It does not exist autonomously. the ultimate fantasy still exists. this fantasy doesn't have to be exclusively male or female, just of the other.

There is no such thing as a non-ideological choice. Ideology allows us to parse the world in our day to day reproduction of immediate life.

CorpseysEvilTwin

There is no reason why in principle awareness couldn't be based on circuit boards as opposed to neurons. Of course, this would mean that the mechanical person would not be a machine, as the AI ideologists would have it. They would be conscious of death, and would have drives and desire.

mixed_biscuits

There is no reason why in principle awareness couldn't be based on circuit boards as opposed to neurons. Of course, this would mean that the mechanical person would not be a machine, as the AI ideologists would have it. They would be conscious of death, and would have drives and desire.
I guess that can't be ruled out but then again we can't rule that stones are conscious. But Penrose has shown that human consciousness includes non-computable thoughts; that means we're not digital and the universe isn't digital either.

Few societies haven't believed in souls and consciousness is primary over matter: there is no evidence that matter exists separate to consciousness and obviously consciousness can simulate matter and its properties convincingly.

CorpseysEvilTwin

I guess that can't be ruled out but then again we can't rule that stones are conscious. But Penrose has shown that human consciousness includes non-computable thoughts; that means we're not digital and the universe isn't digital either.

In Penrose's theory quantum computing would have to take place in the brain before decoherence kicked in. All right, it's interesting, but A) it's provisional and B) nothing suggests that humans can even remotely think that fast.

CorpseysEvilTwin

Profoundly wrong, reductionist 20th century thinking.

give me 20th century thinking over plastic imitation English God squad crew who can't even accept an organised religion. it's abject, really. It is redolent of people who read nonce crowley and listen to david tibet I took acid and had a religious experience to Noddy current 93. Rather than strong willed men who make a habit of studying classic asharite theology. Too whimsy.

CorpseysEvilTwin

Few societies haven't believed in souls and consciousness is primary over matter: there is no evidence that matter exists separate to consciousness and obviously consciousness can simulate matter and its properties convincingly.

This is just the use of consciousness as a suitcase word. jump in front of a moving train and tell it not to crash into you because your consciousness determines its motion. You can't, though the magikal I.Q thinker might, if he wasn't a pussy and actually left his room.

mixed_biscuits

In Penrose's theory quantum computing would have to take place in the brain before decoherence kicked in. All right, it's interesting, but A) it's provisional and B) nothing suggests that humans can even remotely think that fast.
I'm referring to his proof that humans can think non-computable thoughts rather than the microtubule stuff