maxi

"Ooh all of a sudden you care about Arabs in Palestine but not in any other context like when they're killed in Syria. Your real motivation must be antisemitism"

"Ooh all of a sudden you care about women's and children's rights but not in any other context. Your real motivation must be transphobia"

When you have no argument attack the motive it's a good tactic

maxi

"'Zionists' is just code for 'Jews', who they hate. They're not simply referring to a political movement"

"By 'trans activists' they just mean 'trans people', who they hate. They're not simply referring to a political movement"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@maxi Does it not give you pause for thought that you're siding with this forum's two most notably reactionary members on this issue?

Guys who are into eugenics, Great Replacement theory, that sort of thing? Guys who are quite sincerely cheering on Israel as it commits atrocities on a daily basis?

maxi

@maxi Does it not give you pause for thought that you're siding with this forum's two most notably reactionary members on this issue?

Guys who are into eugenics, Great Replacement theory, that sort of thing? Guys who are quite sincerely cheering on Israel as it commits atrocities on a daily basis?
Im not aware of everything theyve said. But to take your wider point about people on the right generally or transphobic people, that's not who I'm siding with anyway.

Just like how there are genuine antisemites all over social media saying "free palestine" but that's not who I'm siding with on Palestinian rights.

Even if they might use the same points sometimes, its opportunistic and done for different reasons.

Plus I know plenty of people on the left who agree with me on this. Most people dont say so publicly because of the fear and intimidation tactics. From what Ive been told this also applies to some of the people here.

Israel was once a left-wing darling too. That's the way the whole issue was presented, as support of a marginalised group, something the left can get behind. And with some justice. But they also suppressed information about the harmful effects on others. Reminds me of something.

Your question speaks to the tribal mentality that pervades politics. Adopt the view of the tribe on every issue, because that's what our tribe says and we're the good guys. The bad tribe says something else so they must be wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Your question speaks to the tribal mentality that pervades politics. Adopt the view of the tribe on every issue, because that's what our tribe says and we're the good guys. The bad tribe says something else so they must be wrong.

I don't know whether you've ignored anything I've ever said about anything, or are just striking a pose here, but I am absolutely not part of a 'tribe'. I consider myself progressive in a very non-denominational, Labour-voting, free-range-egg-buying kind of way. I'm to the left of Starmer on every issue but I also take a pretty dim view of Corbyn for several reasons. I find Israel's government repellent but I also think Roger Waters is a racist wanker. And so on and so on.

With regards to the issues in this thread, I think you're so far to one extreme that, from your vantage point, everyone looks like they're at the opposite extreme. Which is just not true at all. For instance I think there's a very good case for keeping women's competitive sports for cis women only, and there are parts of the internet where that will earn you opprobrium of the Literally Worse That Hitler variety.

With the therapy issue, I think S47 is correct to identify 'concern trolling' as what's going on here. It's all "Won't somebody think of the children?!", but what you're refusing to do is listen to trans people themselves, who are after all the people being affected by all this. And the regret rate for sex-reassignment surgery is remarkably low, about 1% - much lower than the regret rate for other, less controversial surgeries, such as elective mastectomies for women at high risk of breast cancer. Never mind the fact that most forms of gender therapy are much less drastic than full surgery, and usually consist of hormone therapy, which is to a large extent reversible if the subject changes their mind.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Any trans person who expresses an opinion is a de facto "trans activist" and can be rightly dismissed as an extremist (y)
By the same token, black people who say "Racism is bad and there should be less of it" can be ignored because they probably belong to Nation Of Islam and have KILL WHITEY tattoos.

mixed_biscuits

You're not actually arguing for the procedures now considered harmful, though, are you? So you're on our side too.

mixed_biscuits

Firstly, most children desist if allowed to proceed into puberty and, secondly, how on earth do you think that statistic is not massaged seeing as sex reassignment surgery is imperfect and incomplete given today's technology, and tends to leave people with major dysfunction and various dependencies.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

casscritique.png

Some objectivity, please.

mixed_biscuits

What's happening is that the regulators are finally getting a grip on the situation and the cowboy operators are circling the wagons. Refusal to share their data sends a strong signal of malpractice and the government should carry out a surprise unannounced inspection of every provider. If you hate this you're against regulation and perhaps even worse than some fly-by-night libertarian.

mixed_biscuits