What should version watch next - Tenet ot Oppenheimer?

Tenet or Oppenheimer

• Tenet

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Oppenheimer

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

mixed_biscuits

View attachment 18401
There's a right way to watch a movie? This is just more grist to my mill: you want to change the people until they satisfactorily interpret something whose value is somehow independent. The idea that there is a competent viewer and an incompetent viewer is one that can only have been sold to you by the same person who received your film school fees.

P.S. a movie is not a 'text'.

kid charlemagne

There's a right way to watch a movie? This is just more grist to my mill: you want to change the people until they satisfactorily interpret something whose value is somehow independent. The idea that there is a competent viewer and an incompetent viewer is one that can only have been sold to you by the same person who received your film school fees.

dont be dense. it is a text as in a form of art that is analysed, just like a song, book, or painting. are you blatantly misreading him on purpose? hes not telling anyone how to watch a film or what anyone is supposed to think, hes saying that are projecting their own feelings and gripes and missing what the film is, rather than what they want it to be. your spiel sounds like something an incompetent viewer would say

Ian Scuffling

Agree with kc wholeheartedly and also take issue with "interpretation." I am not arguing for "correct interpretation" (I am in fact "against" it in Sontag's sense) as I think that argument degrades art into text in the literal sense and grist for the content mill. There are subjective, affective responses which are the whole reason we engage with art, BUT art is also an object, one which can be misunderstood or selectively "interpreted." We are allowed and encouraged our emotional responses, but we mustn't let those emotions override our ability to understand, to connect with the artist as they wish to be seen, the text they which to express. Certainly an artist can fail to connect in a way that is on them and certainly this is more difficult in cinema of all mediums. But when we engage in this way, attuned to our subjectivity and the artist's, with the best artists we are transported or reborn, as is intended by the masters of the medium and laid out by the best critics. There may not be a correct way to watch a film, but generally agreed upon are the most rewarding ways to watch a film.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

@OnlyVRBabe

2 weeks ago
This film is overrated., Ridden with shoddy slurred dialogue and over reliant on artsy farty cinematography.But it gets far worse.The editing is absolutely diabolical and amateurish .Nolan is best suited directing Science Fiction..His attempts at historical work's are laughable.Nolan is teetering on the brink of being a bum filmmaker about to be found out and exposed (The First two Batman films were great)

version

al-pacino-christopher-nolan.gif

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

@baby_joe

6 months ago
My record with nolan's films:
Momento - I followed it, and it was pretty good
Inception - I fell asleep in the cinema. That's not a joke, I fell asleep for quite a while.
Dunkirk - pretty good, but throughout I was waiting to be really blown away and it never happened.
Tenent - 3 mins in and I had no idea what was happening. One of the worst films ever.
Oppenheimer - pretty simple story stretched to 3 hours. Pretty crap overall.
Show less

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@viviandarkbloom8847

@viviandarkbloom8847

4 months ago
Rather unimpressed. Something like Imitation Game, but with wider lenses and a couple of tits. I wish the director had started doing coke in pre-production so at least he would've pumped up the story rather than the soundtrack, thus perhaps putting together a technical reboot of JFK, another imperfect and overlong period piece but at least far from being anemic. Enjoyed the fedora, tho.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@Ukedc259

@Ukedc259

7 months ago
Interesting movie and the close up acting was impressive and provocative. But I didn’t get drawn in emotionally at all. Not one bit. Downey Jr sounded like a scooby doo thwarted villain at the end. Yet the final scene, visually, was arresting. A real curate’s egg.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@davidjukebox

@davidjukebox

7 months ago
I hated it. The sound was unbearable and the I think although the film said a hell of a lot - it had nothing to say. I think the subject matter was significant and it tried very hard to do a great many things, but I really did not like it or think anything it did was noteworthy or interesting or conveyed any depth to any decision made - and there were many. A 3h film that felt 10hs long. And despite the budget and array of actors and locations, it possessed little energy or feeling that anything they did really mattered (purely within the world the movie created). Without the absurd use of sound - it had no pulse. The whole thing about the sheets being taken in was just so pathetically executed. It's horrible to see a director try and do so much and achieve so little - not even a miss, because it seems he got exactly what he wanted and rather just lacking in anything to say or convey. The cast were very good tho and acting was excellent. RDJ was great. And Murphy was in virtually every scene - unbelievable commitment to a film. Buuut the directing stunk and as I said really had nothing to say - under the questions it raised, were frankly childish and lacking any philosophical POV - confused and try hard.