Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Remember that contemporary poet we found on here who wrote about fair maidens/the lady of shallot etc. ?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Here it is
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/po...for-the-disused-nonconformist-chapel-wildhern

Please read and annotate this luka lol you will love it

''I met her. The gray, lavish eyes. A ruthless stare softened
by an accent. She was gracious, even to my callow posturing — 
called one windy effort that ended O Lord thou draggest me out
a most faithful homage to Eliot, grave with kindly mockery.''

Don't want to hop on a bandwagon but I can't help but read this through the lens of a teary wank over the lady of shallot now and I picture him using the phrase 'm'lady' when acourting he does go.

luka

this is why i am the inventor of modern poetry the only human of the modern age to have found a way to write a poem. everyone says so.

luka

you have to make the language come alive you have to make it sing and dance you have to be able to make it spare and lovely you have to be able to make it dense and rebarbative

Reactions: sus

mixed_biscuits

luka

you have to channel voices from outside yourself. you have to be alert to the forces that act upon you.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The archaic forms seem to induce many poets into using archaic language (perhaps because those forms were initially evolved in an era of "whereto"s etc.).

I can see the appeal, too, since a huge chunk of the best poetry written was written in those forms. But the forms are exhausted.

Also it's very hard to write formally structured verse, especially spreading sentences out over stanzas, that don't use filler words/redundancies/clunky rhymes/convoluted grammar, etc.

English is rhyme poor, which is one of the factors that probably made free verse inevitable.

I wonder if something like this applies in the case of rap music, too, where the constriction of rhyming Line A with Line B meant rap had to evolve out of that straightforward "bars" mode?