GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

is it just me or does anyone else here wince slightly when dissensians use grime slang? makes me wrinkle my face up a bit. sorry guys lol
:p

ive no idea whats going on in grime the past few weeks but that spooky show blackdown was talking about wasnt bad. not quite as mental as i hoped it would be but its good. i wish more grime beats had lots of energy though and were at faster speeds - somewhere between the hip hop and dubstep influence, that seems to have got lost.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
is it just me or does anyone else here wince slightly when dissensians use grime slang? makes me wrinkle my face up a bit. sorry guys lol

Not half as much as I can't stand North American dubstep heads saying 'innit' after EVERY SINGLE PHRASE - even if it doesn't make sense.

Or just answering your question, phrase, statement, thought, joke, musing, or conjecture with 'innit' on its own.

I'm sure not all dissensians are sweater-vest wearing, 2-inch thick glasses wearing, herbal tea drinking trust fund babies either.

Last edited:

gumdrops

north americans saying innit is just... weird.

but using grime slang is okay if its sort of in jest (not like snide guardian writer/reader jest though), but when its guys in their 30s/20s saying/typing 'blud' or 'get me' or other slang, it just sounds (or reads) ridiculous. youre not 16 anymore. use some old slang or something. or cockney rhyming slang. anything else.

get me.

also, not that im on the tempa payroll or anything but that dumpvalve allstars double pack is brilliant and very underrated.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

north americans saying innit is just... weird.

but using grime slang is okay if its sort of in jest (not like snide guardian writer/reader jest though), but when its guys in their 30s/20s saying/typing 'blud' or 'get me' or other slang, it just sounds (or reads) ridiculous. youre not 16 anymore. use some old slang or something. or cockney rhyming slang. anything else.

get me.

Do you class 'sick' as Grime slang? Cos that pre-dated the point at which i started listening to Grime properly (Which was late 2005, what an idiot for ignoring it all those years!)

I do enjoy using the words wasteman and swag in talking to people though, which i have 100% learned from grime but i agree it can get a bit gringey in excess (i wouldn't dream of saying Blud for instance).

I often think about things like this and i reckon it's best to wear your influences respectfully and honestly but proudly. Guess age does come into it too - i'm early 20s, might look a bit seem a bit weirder if i was 10 yrs older.

gumdrops

how about

'that beat was shit you piece of turnip paste'

(crag - turnip paste = waste etc)

ok, im crap at cockney rhyming slang
lol

petergunn

plywood violin
Do you class 'sick' as Grime slang? Cos that pre-dated the point at which i started listening to Grime properly (Which was late 2005, what an idiot for ignoring it all those years!)

yeah i was wondering that... "sick" is def not "grime slang"... alot of stuff people call "grime slang" either predates grime itself or is standard jamaican or us hip hop slang....

that fact that people on dubstep forum somehow think that adding "-izzle" to words is "dubstep slang" (as opposed to "E-40 slang") annoys me, too...

S

simon silverdollar

might be my mistake, but geeneus gestured to a white board in his office with all the forthcoming bingo beats releases mapped out, when talking about the businesses that he runs, so i assumed that he was running that too, but i'll check.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I like how Geeneus is all bleeding-heart about how he doesn't want to make loads of money by going legal from advertising sales etc. because all he really cares about is pushing the music forward when him and Sarah are clearly raking in cash from a club night that is supposed to be committed to the same ideals but is actually just maximizing profit by cashing in on the most popular no-risk dubstep artists of the moment.

FWD is so stylistically unvaried and stagnant it baffles the mind. It is amazing to me he doesn't think some people might be on to him.

its a shame about slimzee. i presumed that he'd just got bored of radio and that was why he wasnt on anymore.

rinse going legal is not a good move for the music imo. isnt it 3 years off air or something a pirate has to go. and then theres constraints on what they could play, cost of the license - ensuing adverts, nah, keep it simple, keep it pirate.

viktorvaughn

I would absolutely love it if fwd started booking house djs

Geeneus himself has played there right, as 'Moonshine' his house alias?

Best thing ever would be some Bassline! Some of the Niche guys would rip it up.

And I would DEARLY love to see the faces of the dnb-techno-nerdcore dubstep fans at all the cheesy RnB voxs and the cheap whiney synths.

And much as I admire their 'ever fwd' momentum some 2step sets there would be great.