GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm playing FWD>> this Friday with Dusk, I'll see what I can do to mix it up :)

Shit, I totally would be down for that, but that is my girlfriend's last night in the country and I think she'd get a bit violent if I ran off to a dubstep rave. Record your set or something.

mos dan

fact music
big interview! nice. i don't have time to read it in full now but look forward to it!

blackdown aside (braps! will make it if i possible can!), the fwd line-ups are a fucking joke. i'd be down there every week (rather than every two months when plastic or kode9 is playing) if they just made a bit of an effort to mix it up, both stylistically and in terms of djs. anyway watch for another bit to add to the ammunition clippings file in this friday's new statesman, haha.

tom pr

Anyone see Stylus' review of Wiley the other day? It was terrible. I wrote a bit about it here but that doesn't cover the half of it...

msoes

just read it

this bit was my favourite

"He even manages to rehash the epic freestyle battle beef between himself and grime superstar Dizzee Rascal on “Letter to Dizzee”: “I tell you dude, it was hard to battle you / I still done it, overground, underground / I still run it, number one grime, I still run it.” "

The guys mishears a lyric and then creates a whole backstory around it.

viktorvaughn

Anyone see Stylus' review of Wiley the other day? It was terrible. I wrote a bit about it here but that doesn't cover the half of it...

The review was based very much on just PIO and as such i don't think his claim is that terrible. It was not a historical or retrospective article.

And Wiley for me has definitely got to a point now where he is a better MC than producer - the essential Wiley moments of the last year or so have all been lyrical. The war with the movement, Nan I Am London etc. I can't really think what the last really incredible meat he made was?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I liked this bit:

the donut who wrote that article said:
In the end though, Playtime Is Over is exactly what we’ve come to expect from the garage sound of grime.

The grime sound of garage, even?

I can't really think what the last really incredible meat he made was?

Come now let's not badmind man about his skills in the kitchen. That's just dirty. :)

Last edited:

tom pr

The review was based very much on just PIO and as such i don't think his claim is that terrible. It was not a historical or retrospective article.
What was he basing the idea that Wiley was the only grime artist left on though? I'm not trying to defend Playtime is over - I like it but it's not that great or anything - it's the general statements on grime's health based on hearing Wiley, Dizzee and Kano's LPs that got me. I just dont see the point in making them when he probably hasn't heard anything by Ruff Sqwad/Doogz/Aftershock/Skepta etc...

Come now let's not badmind man about his skills in the kitchen. That's just dirty
He's got the kebab shop he bigs up on Tunnel Vision 3 for that anyway..

mos dan

fact music
it's the general statements on grime's health based on hearing Wiley, Dizzee and Kano's LPs that got me. I just dont see the point in making them when he probably hasn't heard anything by Ruff Sqwad/Doogz/Aftershock/Skepta etc...

yeah but you see this narrow focus - the belief that grime exists and can only be judged in terms of the four MCs who've 'made it', rather than being an entire sub-culture in its own right - is not unique to american journalists who haven't done their research property.

right there you just defined the attitude of the majority of people i meet and mention grime to.

tom pr

yeah but you see this narrow focus - the belief that grime exists and can only be judged in terms of the four MCs who've 'made it', rather than being an entire sub-culture in its own right - is not unique to american journalists who haven't done their research property.

right there you just defined the attitude of the majority of people i meet and mention grime to.
Yeah but these people aren't working for a music magazine- if it's actually your job to talk about this music, there's a responsibility to either research on it or not make sweeping statements like the ones in the article. there's a primer's guide to grime w/ Ruff Sqwad, Davinche etc by Simon on the website he works for, and reviews of Run the Road and the Mark One Grime comp; it would've taken what, twenty minutes for him to search 'grime' on their archives and read those? It's just fucking lazy.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The mainstream music industry has gotten lazy shocker!

Next you will be bemoaning A&Rs who put absolutely no ground work in at all developing artists and wait for them to fall into their laps on a plate with 50,000 fans already buying their songs through myspace and gigs.

tom pr

Yeah but Logan, Stylus - which isn't part of the mainstream music industry - should be aiming higher than that. I already said I'd expect this of say, the Guardian's grime coverage...

gumdrops

logan sama in droll OTM shocker!

that wiley apocalypto beat has just reminded me how brilliant he can be. i would quite like an instrumental version of the PIO album.