GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

that untold tune is o-k but it is a bit weedy isnt it? but then i think a lot of these new untold-affiliated guys sound a bit weedy.

big h is quite good on a set, at least he was on that logan set a few months back but that mix cd is pretty forgettable. dont think there was one stand out. gives great interview though.

mos dan

fact music

gumdrops

What exactly do you mean by 'weedy' here?
(Genuine question).

as in its a bit thin/reedy. quirky sure, but not a great deal of 'body' to it. maybe its cos i compare it to the eski stuff like ice rink which is what hes apparently going for - next to that stuff, its like a skinny knock-off. maybe im just looking at it through certain prejudices which i need to let pass, but it gets more credit IMO than it deserves really - a watery eski rehash and everyones all over it.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
as in its a bit thin/reedy. quirky sure, but not a great deal of 'body' to it. maybe its cos i compare it to the eski stuff like ice rink which is what hes apparently going for - next to that stuff, its like a skinny knock-off. maybe im just looking at it through certain prejudices which i need to let pass, but it gets more credit IMO than it deserves really - a watery eski rehash and everyones all over it.

Well fair enough, if that's your gut reaction to the sound then there's nothing much me or anyone else can do to argue you out of it, and it's not an unreasonable one anyway.
However, what I would say is that to me the original eski stuff by Wiley, Danny Weed etc does tend to sound quite 'thin' as well, in the sense of being kind of skeletal and only using a few musical elements and also in the sense of not always having a massive ammount of bass on it (although of course some of it does).
But in this case I don't see that as a problem - with both the new and the old eski, the thinness is a big part of what makes it interesting, it gives the arrangements that sort of stark, minimalistic focus and immediacy to them. Also with both the new and old stuff I think the rhythms are usually strong enough to make up for loss of energy or drive from the sonic thinness.

Is Untold getting too much credit? Perhaps; I think part of why he gets a lot of support - and this is certainly a factor in my case - is that people are looking for dubstep-orientated stuff that isn't wobble/brostep/whatever you want to call it, but still has a high-energy, ravey kind of vibe to it, and his output fits that bill to some extent. However, I also reckon that everyone that backs him does genuinely like his work.
Oh and I think everyone looks at music through their prejudices, it's unavoidable and not always a problem, but I guess the trick is to realise when your prejudices are stopping you from giving the fullest/richest account of the data at hand.

FairiesWearBoots

I agree Gumdrops, I think some of Untolds' stuff lacks punch, as does some of the Ramp/Berkane Sol/Nu Garagey bits -
I thought his remix of Seamonkey was one of his best bits so far, and it has guts/balls whatever you want to call it.
I guess its wanting some punch/energy in your dance music?

gumdrops

its not like i hate untold but yeah there is something common between him, shortstuff, brackles (though there is one tune of his that onemans played a lot which i fucking LOVE), ramadanman, and all those guys in that their stuff is very 'neatly' and nicely produced, all very well done, but its just... not polished per se, but just a bit too well produced or something. expensive? im not sure. or maybe its that theres not much being 'said' musically, its just very well done. so taste (drab taste at that, imo) at the expense of ideas perhaps. but then a lot of people prob just like all that stuff cos its so tasteful and kinda techno-y compared to some raw slightly cheap track that marcus nasty might be playing. again this is prob my own prejudices creeping in lol but all this 'oh but there are no boundaries anymore, dont you know?!' stuff i find is cool, but you need boundaries i think too. its not like jungle hurt itself by not letting squarepusher or afx in lol. :cool:

Last edited:

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I have some sympathy with what gumdrops is saying. On paper, I think I should love a lot of this stuff, but in practice it doesn't quite hit the spot - always feels like something is missing. Some of this stuff is really good though like the recent Untold double pack, but as I say some of the other stuff is a bit lacking in my opinon.

continuum

smugpolice
bbk "going in" on tim westwood
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Ory

warp drive
i feel that untold's more recent output is a bit too 'wacky'. too much post-modern irony or something...

aha cheers i missed this show.

btw just in case anyone's missed the sinogrime, the original post
http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/2009/11/london-orient-kode9-sinogrime-minimix.html

and weirdly simultaneous new follow-ups from me and kristian at threefold media
http://dan-hancox.blogspot.com/2009/12/to-my-east-side-crew-get-paper-more.html
http://welcometothefold.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/sinogrime/

So is there any signifance behind the fact that the opium reeking slums of Limehouse were once the heartland of London's Chinese community?

It was definitely in the minds of Victorian Londoners, or at least the scandalous opium smoking aspect of Limehouse was. It pops up in 'the portrait of dorian gray', the film version of From Hell, etc. The chinese community was based in the district because it grew from chinese sailors who lived in boarding houses there.

I'm surprised the West India Quay Docklands Museum doesnt have much more info about it. I know there was an exhibition of sorts about the community in one of the borough's libraries, but it could have been removed years ago. But seeing as the Grime lot are so keen on parochialism and roadness, they would do well to talk up the fact that Tower Hamlets was the centre of Jack the ripper, ratcliff highway murders, opium dens, seedy dockside hooker alleys... Wilehouse

continuum

smugpolice
yet another video stolen by me from joseph patterson's blog
this may of already been seen by those dissensians who read grimeforum?
this is epic and big h is a kingpin of the grime scene
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>