GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

you could see it happening for a while though. its like the only three routes a lot of artists are looking at now is commercial pop-grime, funky or dubstep. bit sad when one of the biggest tracks is streetfighter, by an MC whos been around a loooong time, and over a beat that sounds like a mid rangey wobble tune (not really a match for dizzees old SF2 beat).

all that said, maxstas east london is back is alright.
and i like quite a bit of jammers album even though overall i dont think its quite as good as it could have been.
and best of all, riko has a new mix cd which sounds decent.
http://www.grimeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61768
weird that that second beat is so dubsteppy but is produced by wiley.

i totally forgot about that jme instrumentals album thats out. surprised no ones mentioned it.

mos dan

fact music
is it tho? i'm no 'grime is dead' advocate but i think the instrumental stuff pioneered by Elijah and Skilliam is healthy but loads of the a-list mcs are putting out mersh rubbish and when i listen to the other grime DJs, they're playing loads of wobble, late. back in 2005 dubstep was either gay or deadout to grime guys, now they're begging it.... i prefer "grime MCs + wobble" to just "wobble" but it's just a bit embarrassing tbh.

turn on your sarcasm radar martin! :D or at least re-read my post, heh

but yep, agree completely. without elijah and skilliam there would be virtually nothing left.

totally agree about streetfighter vs streetfighter as a riddim (tho who cares how long dee has been around for? he's still top 3 selected, still firing - just wish he had better beats to ride)

maxsta's east london is back is alright. it's not exactly new anymore. sigh.

the normally expansive stomping ground where the british mc treads has been reduced to a small patch of arid grass, it's really depressing.

i blame funky djs for blocking mcs from 'ruining it like they ruined grime'. that precious attitude is total bullshit, really annoys me. yeah you, marcus nasty.

i haven't mentioned jme's instros cd because i don't like jme's instros ;)

i like jammer's album too - except 'murkle mode', a dreadful, monotone lateral of 'skengman mode'. what's with big dada compelling mcs to put at least one utterly shocking song on an album? cf wiley 'my mistakes', what the fuck was that about?

gumdrops

totally agree about streetfighter vs streetfighter as a riddim (tho who cares how long dee has been around for? he's still top 3 selected, still firing - just wish he had better beats to ride)

nothing against DEE, its more that by now there should be a clear wave of new MCs taking his place. or maybe im just not listening hard enough.

i blame funky djs for blocking mcs from 'ruining it like they ruined grime'. that precious attitude is total bullshit, really annoys me. yeah you, marcus nasty.

he does a lot for MCs though, and has featured jme, frisco and co on his sets. besides, hes not the only one out there, other DJs could get grime MCs on their sets. if grime Djs really wanted, they could start playing a load of dark funky, get grime MCs on their sets, and maybe wed see some interesting new productions as a result, and MCs riding beats differently.

re: jammer, murkle mode is one of the best/grimiest songs on there. would have liked more like that and better than personally.

Simon78

Just listen to the new lot coming through instead. There does need to be some more MC's but I guess most new MC's are doing Road Rap?

DJ's: Score 5, Spooky, Elijah & Skilliam, Meshak Nasty

Producers: Mr Mitch, Spooky, Teeza, Rude Kid, Royal T, Moony, Swindle, Exo Remedy, Geo, J Beatz, Sketch'E, Deset, Splurt, Z Dot, S-X, SRC, NuKlea, Gully Floss edit: I forgot to put Jack Daniels, Darktonesound & Bleath

MC's: Merky Ace, Kozzie, Scrufizzer, Blacks, P Money, MIK, Terminator, Desperado, TKO, Ego

There are some massive tunes about at the minute as well: Spartan, Missing, Tarzan, Gully Goon Estate, Dutty, Murderer, Lemsip, Wooo, Goomba VIP, Final Lap Remix, Top 3 Selected Remix, Hot Ones Remix, E10, Airmiles, Riot, Air Bubble, Secret Level, Jack Daniels, Emergency

They are all either out to buy now or released in the next month.

edit: download this
Spooky & Family Tree on Urban FM
Merky Ace, MIK, Ego & TKO on the mic
http://www.mediafire.com/?kytdojhtywm

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Producers: Mr Mitch, Spooky, Teeza, Rude Kid, Royal T, Moony, Swindle, Exo Remedy, Geo, J Beatz, Sketch'E, Deset, Splurt, Z Dot, S-X, SRC, NuKlea, Gully Floss

MC's: Merky Ace, Kozzie, Scrufizzer, Blacks, P Money, MIK, Terminator, Desperado, TKO, Ego

yeah most of these producers i put under the Elijah & Skilliam. but of those MCs to me only P Money can test... i look forward to being happy surprised!

gumdrops

dont know what it is but the beat on the newham gens/cameo set at 5.30 mins before ruff sqwad gets mixed in is serious.

Simon78

Yeah, Elijah & Skilliam play most of those producers.

Its not Conflict but they are good. Blacks is quality these days as well.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Not sure if this was posted here before but this guy is only 14 and is good. This is the only thing I have seen him on though.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

+ there are two nights on tonight Big H, 9 Milli Major, J Beatz, Dexplicit, G-Fam & Random Impulse and you can watch it online http://dontwatchthat.tv/channel/just-jam

and then over at The Den Badness, P Money, D Power, Shizzle, Killa P, Magic, Rudekid Cotti & Complex & Skeamer

I don't mean to sound patronising or anything here but what grime DJs are you lot listening to apart from Butterz. Anyone?

Doesn't seem like you are, otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to lament the alleged dearth of new talent and beats.

Instrumental grime radio is a lot right now.

Speaking of, catch us on sub.fm this sunday 11-1 with special guests-
Slackk B2B Oil Gang B2B Geo B2B Mr Mitch

mos dan

fact music
I don't mean to sound patronising or anything here but what grime DJs are you lot listening to apart from Butterz. Anyone?

Doesn't seem like you are, otherwise you wouldn't be so quick to lament the alleged dearth of new talent and beats.

Instrumental grime radio is a lot right now.

Speaking of, catch us on sub.fm this sunday 11-1 with special guests-
Slackk B2B Oil Gang B2B Geo B2B Mr Mitch

score5 has been very very good when i've heard him lately (tho fuck knows who he's been playing). i saw he was on rinse last night, going to have to catch the podcast though as i couldn't listen in (wd recommend the same to anyone else, sick dj).

i'm lamenting the lack of mcs rather than beats - or more specifically, i'm lamenting the lack of mcs on sets. but yeah i shd be less lazy and follow some of those new names up beyond the few freestyles i've heard.

simon ikr, it's mad there are two grime nights on tonight! can't believe it. though of course i can fully believe that i've got plans and can't go to either :(

Blackdown

nexKeysound

i listen to E&S, JJ, Logan and Roll Deep (usually Karnage)... re beats: i think there's a lot of new talent but its all very much in the Terror mould. at least Mr Mitch has some cheeky 12/8 swing to his sound.

Simon78

There are loads of Grime instrumentals out at the moment. Producers are starting to sell EP's on Bandcamp and there are a few labels now so that is looking healthy.

I'm pretty sure Grime Forum are going to organise some studio sets pretty soon and No Hats No Hoods are sorting a studio and have got some quality releases lined up.

I think the DJ's are up for having MC's on their sets but after organising it the MC's sometimes fail to show. Family Tree got a really positive response from the set they did on Urban FM and then they were there again the week after.

This EP is out on the 19th and all 4 tunes are quality

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the dark tone sound remix of air bubble was pretty different, but maybe not grimey enough to be grime... too organic. sick tho.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal

Okay, I don't follow grime nearly closely enough to get involved in the general debate that's going on here - but, I think you need to let this one go Dan.
Yes of course over the years DJs and other people in the scene have talked a fair ammount of bullshit, just like they do in any scene. But if you actually look at where Funky is at right now, I'd said it's the most MC-focussed it's ever been, and all the healthier for it.

You keep sending for Marcus, but a couple of weeks back he did a set specifically showcasing Dream, who is probably the most clearly post-grime of the major MCs in the scene after Topsee. And the week before that him and Funk Butcher had Mighty Mo going in for an hour and a half. (Yes, you could say Mo isn't strictly a grime-style MC. That doesn't matter to me, the point is that he was totally the centre of attention, spraying bars rather than just hosting.). And that's before you even get to the fact that he's played a big part in bringing through Rankin, Shantie and Majestic, who are three of the biggest MCs in the scene full-stop.

The only point I could really grant is that MCs are more of a presence on radio sets (and prob in raves too, that I don't get to go to many of them) than they are on record. But I think that will change over the course of the year. And also I think you could def say that many of grime's greatest MCing moments have occured in the context of radio sets.

You also need to acknowledge that when it comes to the specific question of grime or ex-grime MCs going over funky beats, the pressure for them not to do this comes as much from within the grime community as from within the funky community.
(Could say more but this is long enough already :slanted: ).

Elijah

Butterz
Instrumentals is where it is at the moment, there is no MC talent really coming through, when I tend to draw for vocal cuts it is normally the same MCs I have been listening to as I was growing up, apart from Maxsta

All Wiley needs to do is cosign a few more kids, put them on some good beats and it could get interesting again... until then.. enjoy the beats

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i listen to E&S, JJ, Logan and Roll Deep (usually Karnage)... re beats: i think there's a lot of new talent but its all very much in the Terror mould. at least Mr Mitch has some cheeky 12/8 swing to his sound.

This is your problem right here. Elijah and Skilliam who do their own thing, Logan who does his own thing, and JJ and Roll Deep who don't really offer much that Logan and E&S don't. Or, if that's too contentious a claim for you, then they don't offer anything that you aren't expecting.

If you want to talk about the state of new grime producers and you aren't listening to at least Spooky on top of that list, then you are missing a big piece of the full picture. You can't really comment on new school grime by referencing two of the biggest "old-school" DJs.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I will generally agree that Terror Danjah and Joker seem to be influencing a considerable chunk of new grime productions though. You can't really argue with that.