GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This is your problem right here. Elijah and Skilliam who do their own thing, Logan who does his own thing, and JJ and Roll Deep who don't really offer much that Logan and E&S don't. Or, if that's too contentious a claim for you, then they don't offer anything that you aren't expecting.

If you want to talk about the state of new grime producers and you aren't listening to at least Spooky on top of that list, then you are missing a big piece of the full picture. You can't really comment on new school grime by referencing two of the biggest "old-school" DJs.

well, I listen to Logan and E&S to hear the new school, I think i hear a lot of it there - E&S made their name playing them. E&S are the new school and we've been playing loads of new grime producers on our show thanks to them! Spooky I havent checked for because - and I'm sorry since one of the people who put his EP out posts here - but it was too wobbly for me.

But if the big name grime DJs - Logan & E&S aside - arent playing the new school grime producers, then something's wrong...

There's plenty of new talent MC/producerwise that are just simmering one tune away from breaking through

Mc wise Kozzie, Lil Nasty, Maxsta and Scrufizzer are the next generation that are going to come through but it takes time. I remember thinking that there wasn't any new talent coming through a couple of years ago and then Chipmunk, Ice Kid, Little Dee and Maveric all appeared alongside Griminal and suddenly everything wasn't all doom and gloom.

well, I listen to Logan and E&S to hear the new school, I think i hear a lot of it there - E&S made their name playing them. E&S are the new school and we've been playing loads of new grime producers on our show thanks to them! Spooky I havent checked for because - and I'm sorry since one of the people who put his EP out posts here - but it was too wobbly for me.

But if the big name grime DJs - Logan & E&S aside - arent playing the new school grime producers, then something's wrong...

I don't really think you should discount spooky as being "wobble". I know i'm affiliated but he's making incredible, tough grime right now. Someone post that House Party remix he gave away, jesus christ.

Just don't follow him on twitter.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I sent you that. There are no wobble tunes on that EP though, its Grime.

this is the track I was talking about. ...

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...spooky-slew-dem-the-devil-within-oil-gang-001"></param> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player...spooky-slew-dem-the-devil-within-oil-gang-001" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href="">Spooky (Slew Dem) - The Devil Within (Oil Gang 001)</a> by <a href="http://soundcloud.com/oil-gang">Oil Gang (Sub FM)</a></span>

I'm all ears for his sets tho if someone can up them.

Simon78

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
yeah ok sorry maybe i overstated marcus's role. but don't understate how influential he is - very, very influential

and mcs in raves are not common at all, most sets aren't even hosted.

and yeah i feel topsee and shantie and majestic - but they're not jumping on tracks, and the mc-ification of funky is slow as fuck - even the dissensus funky thread is three years old!

i don't get the idea of pressure from the grime scene not to jump on funky, no evidence of that, unless you count purple self-righteously banging on about "bun dat funky house" about four years ago.

sorry this is all a bit off-topic. glad, as ever, that whingeing has revived the thread and given us all some new leads to follow up ;) big ups everyone tipping/posting links :)

Both over 50% tunes not made/released in 2010

:slanted:

and yeah i feel topsee and shantie and majestic - but they're not jumping on tracks, and the mc-ification of funky is slow as fuck - even the dissensus funky thread is three years old!
you need to listen to Dream's vocal of Crazy Cousins "Always Be Mine", hypest track I heard in a long time! he gave it away on his facebook, with a few other tunes vocalled by him. Looks like it's exactly what you're looking for.

PS- sorry to keep derailing...

I don't feel that 50% figure is fully reflective of Score5's sets actually. He's been playing unknown producers since Pyro days and continues to do so.

Painting a false picture of him that.

gumdrops

funky isnt totally mc-phobic. marcus rarely ever does a set without mcs, and theres mcs hosting at nights - its just not mc-centered. which is not a bad thing. and i dont really see why grime mcs should just be welcomed openly to funky anyway. the point of grime is that they have their own thing. they shouldnt need funky. and anyway, if grime mcs want to vocal funky (ghetto doing seasons etc) its not like anyones stopping them. if skepta or wiley or someone did a proper indisputable funky vocal on par with something like crackish then i dont doubt djs would play it. they would have to.

i would still like to hear tempz ripping some funky apart though lol.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
funky isnt totally mc-phobic. marcus rarely ever does a set without mcs, and theres mcs hosting at nights - its just not mc-centered. which is not a bad thing. and i dont really see why grime mcs should just be welcomed openly to funky anyway. the point of grime is that they have their own thing. they shouldnt need funky. and anyway, if grime mcs want to vocal funky (ghetto doing seasons etc) its not like anyones stopping them. if skepta or wiley or someone did a proper indisputable funky vocal on par with something like crackish then i dont doubt djs would play it. they would have to.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

wise

bare BARE BONES
you need to listen to Dream's vocal of Crazy Cousins "Always Be Mine", hypest track I heard in a long time! he gave it away on his facebook, with a few other tunes vocalled by him. Looks like it's exactly what you're looking for.

PS- sorry to keep derailing...

Can you post that Crazy Cousinz vocal?
and a link to his facebook please

Ta :)