GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

well thats cool if its gonna be mainly instrumental... maybe it will make people concentrate more on the beats-side of things. sometimes when you have MCs you can barely hear the beats under the vocals.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I think it will be a really good show and help showcase the music in a new light to that which it is currently being presented in current legal shows.

boomnoise

♫
i really think that this is another hugely significant step forward for the scene - as was your move to kiss, logan - radio1 has always been a showcase of newmusic and since the death of peel it has lacked a certain potentcy but with the recent dubstep breezeblock and now this, big things are happening -grime and dubstep on major broadcast media! pushing through from the underground, gaining exposure to new audiences - big things!

1xtra sounds crossing over to that station's parent chanel is indicative of where this music is going. it's not just 'black' music anymore; it's music with cross appeal, it's not marginalised it's popularised.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
I actually pulled them up about the "black music" thing at an interview I had to work there when they first started. I didn't get the job, LOL.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Paul Hotflush said:
I actually pulled them up about the "black music" thing at an interview I had to work there when they first started. I didn't get the job, LOL.

I bet you were super shocked.

The other one would be to ask them about the English Hip Hop and Reggae Roots & Culture shows or perhaps the Jazz shows they surely must have, being all about British Black Music. ;)

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Does anyone actually want to hear te counter argument about 'black music', even for fun? Cos I'm happy to play devil's advocate and endorse it for the sake of discussion...

gumdrops

why isnt it black music? someone please explain this one to me. im not totally sure about labelling any music by its race (why doesnt anyone call rock 'white music'?) but we label food by its nationality dont we, so why is saying black music all that different? does it make people more comfortable with it if they dont call it black music?

re: plasticman on radio 1, according to vice, hes only on once every six weeks, and the program might end after 36 weeks!

Le Bob

The roar of the masses...
Race music?

gumdrops said:
why isnt it black music? someone please explain this one to me. im not totally sure about labelling any music by its race (why doesnt anyone call rock 'white music'?) but we label food by its nationality dont we, so why is saying black music all that different? does it make people more comfortable with it if they dont call it black music?...

For one, mate, rock isn't white music in any other sense than that the majotity of the performers are white (although, are they really? What about e.g. Asia?). Rock is, if anything, a creole music, much like anything in America; a mix of Black R'n'B traditions and White Country/folk traditions. And I'm not too sure about comparing music and food...

here we go...

its amazing...ahh forget it - I'll probably get swamped with hate if I respond.....gumdrops is on the right line though...Logan...do you really get into talks like actual debates with some of the African/Black British mc's you work with?

Last edited:

gumdrops

i hope no one says urban music is a better term than black music cos that is even more inaccurate and restrictive.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
No it isn't.

It is an accurate description of the demographic the music played by 1xtra and in so called "Urban" events appeals to. They predominantly live in the UK's densely populated Urban areas.

I double dog dare you to tell me Grime or Garage is "Black" music when there isn't a single black person who has a regular grime focussed show on legal radio.

zhao

there are no accidents
once and for all:

rock'n'roll is more black than anything else. because it comes from blues, r'n'b, gospel, and funk -- Afro American traditions. end of discussion.

gumdrops

Logan Sama said:
I double dog dare you to tell me Grime or Garage is "Black" music when there isn't a single black person who has a regular grime focussed show on legal radio.

lol (im guessing/hoping that was meant to be a joke)

confucius said:
once and for all:

rock'n'roll is more black than anything else. because it comes from blues, r'n'b, gospel, and funk -- Afro American traditions. end of discussion.

but black musicians as a whole havent had anything to do with changes in rock n roll for about 45 years. its not like all the millions of rock artists in the world have slavishly held on to what it sounded like in the hands of black musicians or keep its blues/R&B roots intact. and yeah the roots lie in blues and R&B but at some point the end result stopped sounding directly like those antecedents.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:

The point is that it's music that is part of a continuum that originates with black music. Hip hop is black music even if eminem is it's best selling artist (if he is, it's a rhetorical point).

And similarly, Westwood being one of the primary hip hop DJs in the UK doesn't stop hip hop from being black music.

But this really is a thread derailment surely? Let's keep this thread about grime gossip etc and we can start another 'what is "black music" thread if we want to.

boomnoise

♫
Melchior said:
But this really is a thread derailment surely? Let's keep this thread about grime gossip etc and we can start another 'what is "black music" thread if we want to.

Aim High 3 - in shops now. Haven't had a chance to watch the dvd yet, just checked the cd. It's good, a lot more freestyles than 2 but it somehow lacks the urgency of the previous volume. not quite so many hard hitting tunes. still need to digest it really.

bassnation

the abyss
big satan said:
why do people even give a shit about whether it's "black"?

how would we know whats cool and whats not otherwise? i'd like to see a rule book drawn up so we can accurately assess the assigned skin colour of a given piece of music.