GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

boy in da corner is in hip hop connection magazines best uk hip hop albums ever list at no. 25. first line: 'you can argue the toss on grimes genre status all day'. i know it doesnt help when you get artists barely repping the genre and making so many tracks that can sit in the hip hop side a little too comfortably, but if baile funk is genre, and getto tech is, why cant grime be?

mos dan

fact music
boy in da corner is in hip hop connection magazines best uk hip hop albums ever list at no. 25.

ROFLMAO

like there are even 24 uk hip-hop albums, let alone ones that deserve to be in any list, ever, let alone ones that deserve to be in any list above bidc.

what is it?

1) jehst
2) jehst
3) jehst
4) jehst
5) jehst
6) jehst

etc

good point about the 'grime as a genre' issue btw gumdrops. i make an effort to unapologetically treat it as an established genre in every (relevant) piece i write. not because i like it, but because it is an established genre.

gumdrops

but the prob is a lot of hip hop fans will just say 'ahh its just hip hop' and leave it at that. its like an affront to them to say it could possibly have its own name. the prob though is that a lot of grime can easily fall under hip hop too so its not like you can say not its not hip hop at all. me, i think its just rap music. rap music is ghetto tech, so is baile funk etc. it was much easier to say grime or garage was def totally its own thing when so solid and PAUG were out cos their stuff was more garage-sounding and very diff to anything in hip hop. but then i rememebr playing i luv u once in a club and people just thought it was garage (they said it with disgust though - it was a r&b/hip hop night, lol).

evergreen

i think it's also difficult for most people to separate grime completely from hip-hop simply because it's rap lyrics in English, and American hip-hop has been the source of that for 5x as long as grime. if crunk can be considered as both specifically "crunk" and fundamentally hip-hop, then i doubt grime will be any more separate in most people's eyes--at least until everyone agrees it's got its own unique lexicon, flow, criteria for quality, etc. (as one blogger put it a few years ago), like modern-day dancehall.

gumdrops

agreed.

the other albums they had in the chart by the way was london posse (and even if you hate ukhh, this album still reigns supreme IMO), blak twang, demon boyz, klashnekoff, caveman, hijack, etc etc. you can probably guess...

viktorvaughn

I like a broad interpretation of Rap - dancehall, hiphop, grime etc - but a narrower one of the individual genres. Rascal is definitely not hiphop.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
TRACKLISTINGS 02/07/07 NO GUEST

TINCHY STRYDER FT CHIPMUNK / SORRY, YOU ARE? / ADAMANTIUM
DIZZEE RASCAL FEAT UGK / WHERE'S DA G'S? / XL
TINIE TEMPAH / HOOD ECONOMICS / DUB
FLOWDAN / I WOULDN'T DO IT / ROLLDEEP
DVA FT FUMIN, FACTION G, BLACK THE RIPPER & LYKEZ / WHY YOU GOTTA ACT LIKE THAT? / DVA
DEVLIN / SUPER TRIGGER / OT
MARCIE PHONIX & HYPER FENN / WINE IT DOWN / DUB
DURRTY GOODZ / AXIOM / DUB
DIMPLES / GRIME AIN'T DEAD / G FAM
WILEY / CLASS OF 07 / ESKIBEAT
GHETTO FT DEVLIN / HERO / J.CLARKE
AFTERSHOCK / WARNING / AFTERSHOCK
P MONEY / PRINCE / DUB
DIZZEE RASCAL / U CAN'T TELL ME NOTHIN / XL
CHIPMUNK / CONSISTENT / DUB
SNOOPY / MY MENTALITY / DUB
FRISCO / U CAN'T TEST ME / NO HATS NO HOODS
PLASTICIAN / U CAN'T TEST ME / NO HATS NO HOODS
LETHAL BIZZLE / BIZZLE BIZZLE / V2
WILEY / SORRY SORRY PARDON WHAT / BIG DADA
RUFF SQWAD / XTRA / RUFF SQWAD
GHETTO / TOP 3 SELECTED / ADAMANTIUM/J.CLARKE
DIZZEE RASCAL / FLEX / XL
GHETTO / STAGESHOW DON / J.CLARKE
NASTY JACK / MY NAME IS / ADAMANTIUM
DURRTY GOODZ / KEEP UP / AXIOM
SCORCHER FT WILEY / RED LIGHT / M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.
JME / BOY BETTER KNOW / BOYBETTERKNOW
SKEPTA FT FLOWDAN & KILLA P / YOU DUN KNOW / BOYBETTERKNOW
JAMMER / HOLIDAY / AREUDUMB
DOCTOR FT ATL / DO IT (MANIAC REMIX) / GPP
WILEY / BOW E3 / BIG DADA
GRIMINAL / IT'S A LOT / N.A.S.T.Y.
FACTION G / BORN IN THE 80S / DUB

**LOGAN IN THE INSTRUMENTAL MIX**
MANIAC / DEVIL / ADAMANTIUM
J SWEET / FLOPPY DISC / MIXING
MARSTA / FACE OFF / DUB
J SWEET / DIGITAL / MIXING
RAPID / TOP 3 SELECTED REMIX / DUB
BLESS BEATS / 16 BAR RALLY (MANIAC REMIX) / ESKIBEAT
Y DOT / REAL TALK 2 / DUB
SKEPTA / DEAD (LOGANSAMA KILLASOUNDBWOY VIP MIX) / DUB
MANIAC / GENERAL / ADAMANTIUM
PLASTICIAN / REAL THINGS / TERRORHYTHM
MANIAC / SORRY YOU ARE? / ADAMANTIUM
WAFA / GUNMAN SKANK / SLU DEM
DEXPLICIT / STEAM TRAIN / ADAMANTIUM
SCRATCHA / KEEP UP / DVA
FIREWORX / UNTITLED / DUB
DEXPLICIT / WAKADOOSA / ADAMANTIUM
MR SLASH / JUMP / SLASH

www.whatson.com/kiss100

For internationals, it will be up on http://hosted.filefront.com/adamantiummusic

ROFLMAO

like there are even 24 uk hip-hop albums, let alone ones that deserve to be in any list, ever, let alone ones that deserve to be in any list above bidc.

come now, thats harsh, theres Bare good ukhh out there - some of it (some would say most) better than a lot of grime

gumdrops

yeah the quality control in ukhh is better than in grime on the whole... and the artists actually do MAKE albums and put them out. and a lot of them are from 'road' just like the grime artists (mr tibs, klashnekoff, terra firma, skinnyman etc) so that idea that all ukhh artists are all middle class and pandering to ageing white retro-rap obsessed snobs doesnt really hold water (whether it matters that they are 'from road' or not is another thing, but id wager that it does matter, given that so much of grime/hip hop's rep rests on the 'authenticity' of the artsts).

viktorvaughn

Does anyone know of an all Wiley mix, esp. of the earlier Wiley Kat stuff?

If that does not exist i think someone with better mixing ability than me needs to step up!

viktorvaughn

Check this 2002 debate about Slimzee and 8-Bar. Time-capsule business.
http://www.ukmusic.com/forum/urban-music/slimzees-bootlegs-21459.html

Well interesting debate about 8-bar/fwd/grime/dubstep.
http://www.ukmusic.com/forum/urban-music/newstep-doc-on-radio1-26471.html?highlight=roll+deep

Check this!

FWD
Thursday 4th September 2003

MARTIN LARNER
BENNY ILL
HATCHA
KODE 9
J DA FLEX
LANDSLIDE
ORIS JAY
SLAUGHTER MOB
YOUNGSTA

>> MC CRAZY D

+ SPECIAL GUEST MC >> RODNEY P

There is so much hate on those threads for all the stuff that turned into grime. These are the best bits if you don't want to read it all! -

"fuk eskimo and wyile with his farmer jiles accent wyile makes crap tunes truth be known their ok to ride but if my aunt or uncle said lets hear the music u listen to:- i wouldent be playing fuc...k...ing

eskimo, freeze, slush, puppie , jack frost or that fuking del bwoy trotter tune he made besides that he's a pedophile so l;ets not talk about him no more . the git"

"IT HAS BEEN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN THAT ANYONE WHO LIKES DJ SLIMZEE IS AN ASSHOLE."

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Alex Bok Bok did one when he "retired".

http://dot-alt.blogspot.com/search/label/podcast - it's the first one of our podcast!

btw john, can you please now refer to him by his full name, The Dazed Digital 50-Nominated Alex Bok Bok ;)

**fascinating history lesson vv! if you want to hear the 'newstep' docu that's also on our podcast

**re: ukhh - yeah, i'm completely prejudiced i know - not about the class thing, i don't give a f*ck about that (esp as a white m/c guy myself, i wouldn't have a leg to stand on). i've just never ever heard a ukhh record i really like. american hh, french stuff.. all good. i'm just prejudiced against ukhh, i don't see a place for it, sorry. prob best just to ignore me.

[sorry to go o/t]

not being funny but

ROFLMAO

what is it?

1) jehst
2) jehst
3) jehst
4) jehst
5) jehst
6) jehst

you have made yourself look just at little silly...shows that you don't much...I like Diz and whatever this is called but...lets not go mad lol

come now, thats harsh, theres Bare good ukhh out there - some of it (some would say most) better than a lot of grime

yes and

yeah the quality control in ukhh is better than in grime on the whole... and the artists actually do MAKE albums and put them out. and a lot of them are from 'road' just like the grime artists (mr tibs, klashnekoff, terra firma, skinnyman etc) so that idea that all ukhh artists are all middle class and pandering to ageing white retro-rap obsessed snobs doesnt really hold water

yep...and as you said not like it matters...Temps is a road man but apart from 'swiiing...' and that - what else has man gotta say to fill up a disc? maybe he'll prove me wrong - I hope so...but you get what I mean

much probs to Sama on the instrumental mix. no new D.O.K?

mos dan

fact music
you have made yourself look just at little silly...

i was being a little silly, but whatever.. i freely admit my bias (and was just having some fun with it, christ..), and that i don't know a great deal about ukhh.

but sure, if you want to have a debate: if you can tell me there's a ukhh album out there that's better than boy in da corner i will eat my hat, pan fried with shallots and wild mushrooms. i won't believe you, but i'd be happy to do it anyway.

viktorvaughn

I just picked up a few records, among them two ones supposedly by Wiley with the Cat#s DRL001 (single sided press)and DRL002.

Anyone have any ideas what that might be? One has 'Cold as Ice' written on it, but i don't recall any tune called that?

Also DW002 which i guess is maybe Danny Weed / Wiley - Blue Rizla and Thai Weed? Not sure.

My Eskibeat collection grows! Gets a bit addictive though.