questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i've got a question: how is it that appx ten years after it finished, i still remember the theme tune and title sequence to this in considerable detail?

i have another question, which is at least moderately serious: what do people get out of listening to breakbeat?

it doesn't make you (by which i mean 'me') want to dance, smash things, lie down and relax, have sex, or walk along a beach at dusk with the one you love.

and surely all music should do one or more of the above, right? can anyone think of a record that makes them want to do ALL of the above? now i'm just being silly, apologies.

cos of the medium in which you watched it, tv does shit between your left and right brains, reference
Jerry Mander's 'Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television'

what d'yer mean by breakbeat?

viktorvaughn

I guess he means nu-skool breaks like plump DJs play?

I think its basically a bit rubbish, but have danced many a time, especially when on drugs and enjoyed myself. But then you can dance to nearly anything! I went to a psy trance/techno night last Friday, man some of that was dire.

viktorvaughn

*deep reverb voice* noooooooo viiiiiiiikkkkkkkktorrrrrrr ccoooooooooooommmmmme baaaaaaaaaaack

Hehe!

There were BARE 30/40 yr old proper jaded-ravers with multi coloured dreads etc, and a guy on stilts dancing with mini light bulbs strapped to his hands. The more techy/industrial stuff i could handle but some of the rest was really bad.

The DJ would build it up, the music would drop out for a few seconds, he'd start geeing up the crowd and then......the beat dropped and it was EXACTLY the same as it was before.

I'm just ticking of a few Steel City nights i have never been to as it's likely i'll be leaving it in the medium-term.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Hehe!

There were BARE 30/40 yr old proper jaded-ravers with multi coloured dreads etc, and a guy on stilts dancing with mini light bulbs strapped to his hands. The more techy/industrial stuff i could handle but some of the rest was really bad.

The DJ would build it up, the music would drop out for a few seconds, he'd start geeing up the crowd and then......the beat dropped and it was EXACTLY the same as it was before.

I'm just ticking of a few Steel City nights i have never been to as it's likely i'll be leaving it in the medium-term.

Be careful! Psy-trance is like mice, or Christianity, once you let it in it never quite goes away.

zhao

there are no accidents
Be careful! Psy-trance is like mice, or Christianity, once you let it in it never quite goes away.

and this will your reality for the rest of eternity:

t_16415.jpg

*deep reverb voice* noooooooo viiiiiiiikkkkkkkktorrrrrrr ccoooooooooooommmmmme baaaaaaaaaaack

psy trance is massive in brazil (at least amongst the middle/upper classes) for some reason, i got dragged to a brazilian psy trance dj playing in London on new years day and that was horrendously bad. feels like such decadent music

Alfons

Way of the future
In a lot of south american music, brazillian especially, there's this instrument that really sonds like a bird of some sort, I've always wondered what instrument it is?:slanted:

dHarry

the cuica? a pole/stick that's sort of, er, stroked with a damp cloth I think to produce a squeaky/howly sound, always slightly different relative to the speed/strength of the, er, stroke... oh, ok - it's a wank-strument

Immryr

the cuica? a pole/stick that's sort of, er, stroked with a damp cloth I think to produce a squeaky/howly sound, always slightly different relative to the speed/strength of the, er, stroke... oh, ok - it's a wank-strument

yeah, its like a drum with a head only on one side, and a stick coming from the centre of that on the inside. the pitch of the sound can be altered by lots of things, tension of the head, length of stick etc

Chris

fractured oscillations
yeah, its like a drum with a head only on one side, and a stick coming from the centre of that on the inside. the pitch of the sound can be altered by lots of things, tension of the head, length of stick etc

Hmm, I actually saw folk bands in Slovakia use something just like that too... I wonder if the Slovaks imported the idea at some point (seems unlikely that there would be much of a connection there with Brazilian culture) or came up with it on their own. My mom and I were actually kind of amused at the primitive simplicity of it, thinking, awww what a cute little Eastern European instrument...

Alfons

Way of the future

Yay! Thats it, the cuica, thanks for the info. Now I just need to buy one

Leo

Have I missed out by never listening to Captain Beefheart?

i'm not so much into the avant end of his/their discog...everyone should own "clear spot," the track "too much time" is a soul classic, believe it or not. "safe as milk" rocks in a wack-psych manner.

zhao

there are no accidents
i no so into the "weird" Mothers-ish side of the good Cap'n either. i just love the 30 minute jam songs. and the mean, short numbers about under-aged women.

zhao

there are no accidents
the hand signal rastas do:

dbplha2.jpg

you see sizzla and all them do it all the time. what exactly does it mean? where does it originate?

they do realize that in many other parts of the world it means Punany? or is that part of the meaning? me thinks unlikely because it's such a chauvinist religion, and femail genitalia is not likely have anything to do with divinity?