questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
the thing about sweetening (at least in the 60's/70's sense) was that you really couldn't perceive the strings and horns as such...they were placed so faintly in the mix that what they added was a certain undefinable/undeniable presence...(in fact, LP's used to only credit the sweetening arranger, not the actual musicians involved)...hence the warmth of sound that was so appealing back in those days...

mos dan

fact music

that thread looks fascinating! i need educating n all.

i have a question:

the widespread trend of putting 'for promotional use only' on mixtapes (esp grime mixtapes) is, i believe, designed as some kind of protection against getting sued for uncleared samples etc...

if this is the case, does this phrase have ANY legal power to protect the artists? i would imagine not, since they're clearly *not* just for promo use only.

they're probably just to piss the listener off into not bothering to share it on p2p or whatever, or to stop people downloading music then playing it out in a club or in a mix? (that would be a bit embarrasing). same with dvd screeners isnt it? i thought the artist work was copyrighted already if they put "promo use only" on it - in which case it'd just be more of a warning not to distribute it

mos dan

fact music
they're probably just to piss the listener off into not bothering to share it on p2p or whatever

SORRY! i should've been clearer. i meant putting 'promotional use only' in writing on the cover or sleeve of a mix cd, not audio-tagging or anything.. e.g.:

product_image.php

mixed_biscuits

You're just unlucky you haven't inherited your mum's taste in music. HARGH HARGH HARGH

*high fives*

Last edited:
Not so much a question, more an observation. Why do people on radio shows give big ups to everyone in their respective scene, despite the fact that few of these people will actually be listening to the show to hear their name getting shouted and even less will have texted in. Crazy D's show is very guilty of doing this, he might as well be reading names off a list (perhaps he is). Could there be an attempt to give you the impression that the show is listened by everyone in the dubstep scene.

viktorvaughn

Not so much a question, more an observation. Why do people on radio shows give big ups to everyone in their respective scene, despite the fact that few of these people will actually be listening to the show to hear their name getting shouted and even less will have texted in. Crazy D's show is very guilty of doing this, he might as well be reading names off a list (perhaps he is). Could there be an attempt to give you the impression that the show is listened by everyone in the dubstep scene.

Good question. I have thought about this and sometimes wonder if it's not just a legitimate chance in a pretty masculine and sometimes homophobic world to offer serious praise of others. It's the one chance that people have to big up or offer formal respect to each other in a public way.

nomos

Administrator
i know we've been over this, but i'm still confused. how can i know for sure that i'm listening to funky house?

it seems so amorphous and chameleonic.

give me a checklist of things to look for :D

nomos

Administrator
no no not generalizations about who listens to it. i can't see a handbag over the rinse stream anyway. i mean hallmarks of the style. what unique collection of things will i be hearing when i'm hearing it.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
anybody know of any good podcasts/blogspots for good music? not quite sure what I mean by that, generally just the kind of stuff Dissensians are in tune with, you know, GOOD music. for some reason Can keep coming to mind when I am trying to be a musical elitist, it's about all I can think of as a pointer at the moment, but bear in mind I also own 'Breakfast In America' by Supertramp.

(excepting grime and dubstep, i have shitloads of podcasts for them)

D84

OK to continue on the techno tip, I've got the relatively recentish Pungtang EP/reissue from Carl Craig; I'm trying to enjoy it but the record seems to be skipping all over the place.

Questions:

- is this some clever release with two tracks running parallel etc like some (one?) of the Jeff Mills records?

- is my copy just poorly pressed?

- OR is it just that my record player is shit?