questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao empty yer inbox!

done. sorry just saw message now.

ok question: (i'm sure everyone knows except me)

in that ubiquitous funk carioca track, what does "kulos" mean? did i spell it right? i found myself hollering it at the club the other night but realized that i didnt even know what it means :eek:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

in that ubiquitous funk carioca track, what does "kulos" mean? did i spell it right? i found myself hollering it at the club the other night but realized that i didnt even know what it means :eek:

s'ok, sent yer summat, a culo is an posterior, especially a female one, no? And if I'm right, I'd be careful how and where one shouts it lol.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

In Spanish slang, culo means ass. Probably the same in Portuguese?

K-Fed tells us that PopoZao means "shake your ass." Popozuda means someone (female) with a big ass. There's a funk carioca group called Gaiola de Popozudas, which has to mean something along the lines of Jail of Big Booty Hoes.

Edit: somehow missed mr. sloane's post

bruno

est malade
you are both wrong, actually. in contemporary usage culo is the equivalent of cool. so zhao, if you want to say you are cool, say soy culo. and if you want to complement someone on their coolness, say eres culo, te admiro.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
you are both wrong, actually. in contemporary usage culo is the equivalent of cool. so zhao, if you want to say you are cool, say soy culo. and if you want to complement someone on their coolness, say eres culo, te admiro.

Many thanks for the knowledge!

lololol

On a different note... Why does DJ Cameo in the flesh sound nothing like he does on the radio. Tune into 1Xtra and he sounds like an over excited kid on mountain dew. I would never in a million years have connected him with the grumpy bastard who used to work in Uptown Records.

He was in Dubplate Drama the other day, non speaking role of course.

zhao

there are no accidents

wait a minute... Edward's laugh is maybe just a little too enthusiastic... i do hope bruno ain't messin wid us -- so that next time we are trying to impress some Latin hottie we proudly announce "I am an ass!" or "nice ass, I like!" :slanted:

mistersloane

wait a minute... Edward's laugh is maybe just a little too enthusiastic... i do hope bruno ain't messin wid us -- so that next time we are trying to impress some Latin hottie we proudly announce "I am an ass!" or "nice ass, I like!" :slanted:

Lol I was just thinking that

zhao

there are no accidents
Lol I was just thinking that

yeah the dude hardly looks trustworthy

bruno_wideweb__470x329,0.jpg

mistersloane

and what the hell does THAT mean? (book does look wicked)

i thought it mighta coulda come from "word sound 'ave power" - Prince Far i

'my word is my bond', oral culture thing that means you'll do what you say...the guy that wrote that book is the same one who did the book on Islamic punks, he's well on the money, best thing I've read in years and years.

zhao

there are no accidents
so rastas are down with Israel because it's the holy land. but are they down with jews? or Zionism? the Zion they speak of is a mythical place in Africa, correct? is there anti-semitism in Rastafarianism? and what about the "conquering lion of Judah"? what the hell is THAT supposed to reference or mean??? :confused:

mms

sometimes
so rastas are down with Israel because it's the holy land. but are they down with jews? or Zionism? the Zion they speak of is a mythical place in Africa, correct? is there anti-semitism in Rastafarianism? and what about the "conquering lion of Judah"? what the hell is THAT supposed to reference or mean??? :confused:

hmm there is a place called church of put lady zion where the ark is mean't to be buried

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Our_Lady_Mary_of_Zion

not sure if rastas are down with israel, they see themselves as israelites in the biblical sense

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israelite

12 tribes etc

although rasta diet and eating sometimes close to Hasidic jews.

conquering lion etc was haille sellasie's name .

STN

sou'wester
The star of David is a fairly common motif in Rastafari (see Pablo Gad, Reggae On Top label etc), the thing is there's such a hugely varying set of beliefs that it's impossible to pin down what 'they' believe. I have heard a couple of anti-semetic remarks from people purporting to be rastas though.