questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for the answers to the rasta/israel question.

new question:

maybe the most commonly used soundbite/sample in jungle/breaks and other styles -- that ring. you know what i'm talkin bout right? sounds kinda like an oldschool telephone ring? usually at the beginning of a track or sprinkled all over. where is that from and who used it first???

It's a dub/dancehall thing, djs would construct little sound boxes with effects, and that sound is just an easily manufactured and distinctive one...i always think of it as more like a ray gun blast or somethin (gunshots being probably the second most popular sound effect)

couldn't tell you which dj/system did it first though...anyone know for sure? usually several people make the claim in these situations...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
It's a dub/dancehall thing, djs would construct little sound boxes with effects, and that sound is just an easily manufactured and distinctive one...i always think of it as more like a ray gun blast or somethin (gunshots being probably the second most popular sound effect)

couldn't tell you which dj/system did it first though...anyone know for sure? usually several people make the claim in these situations...

Yah, it reminds me of War of the Worlds.

zhao

there are no accidents
hmmm weird, never heard it in dub or even 80s digital dancehall. always thought it was a jungle 'ting. my mental picture is always a fire engine for some reason

matt b

Indexing all opinion
hmmm weird, never heard it in dub or even 80s digital dancehall. always thought it was a jungle 'ting. my mental picture is always a fire engine for some reason

see 'african dub chapter 3' onwards

king tubby hi fi used the first effects boxes

shaka popularised the siren. probably

as 'clashing' sounds/mixes- fuck knows

hmmm weird, never heard it in dub or even 80s digital dancehall.

For the most part, it's something you'd hear in a dance rather than on a record, and i guess that's the atmosphere sampling it is supposed to conjure, bit like the popular "air horn" sound

on a fair few dubs tho

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
You know that sound on every samba record that kinda goes like "woo" or "eee" (if it's more high pitched)? Is that an instrument or do the musicians vocalise that?

zhao

there are no accidents
You know that sound on every samba record that kinda goes like "woo" or "eee" (if it's more high pitched)? Is that an instrument or do the musicians vocalise that?

it's an instrument. someone else will have to provide the name and pictures of it tho. at 4 AM Latif dropped the sweeeeeetest samba EVER last night... amazing.

nuther reggae question: what doe "rub-a-dub" mean? rubber dub? or is "rub" an expression which means something else? (thought i saw it used in an old english context or i may be imagining things. again.)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
it's an instrument. someone else will have to provide the name and pictures of it tho. at 4 AM Latif dropped the sweeeeeetest samba EVER last night... amazing.

nuther reggae question: what doe "rub-a-dub" mean? rubber dub? or is "rub" an expression which means something else? (thought i saw it used in an old english context or i may be imagining things. again.)

History of the rhyme 'rub-a-dub-dub' here

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5038237

which may or may not help.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah I think it involves pushing a piece of leather in and out of a wooden tube or drum base. I can't remember what it's called either.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
maybe the most commonly used soundbite/sample in jungle/breaks and other styles -- that ring. you know what i'm talkin bout right? sounds kinda like an oldschool telephone ring? usually at the beginning of a track or sprinkled all over. where is that from and who used it first???
Like a slow square lfo modulating a sine wave - two alternating tones?

http://www.kvraudio.com/developer_challenge_2007.php#dc0724
This is quite good for those sounds as well: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/430.html

Last edited:

muser

is another reggae/dancehall related one, what does it mean when they shout 'walllaaan' ? is it just like 'pull up', im sure ive heard it used in other contexts aswell?

zhao

there are no accidents
"walllaaan"? i dont think i know what youre talking about...

reminds me though, of the "WASSA WASSA" i hear all the time in african music. Tego Calderon also repeats it in that one tune off his debut. my african friend tells me that it has no specific meaning, but just like, something cool to say...

muser

ah yea, the rub a dub term mos likely comes from the nursery rhyme "rub a dub dub three maids in a tub etc.." I think alot of old english nursery rhymes were adopted into jamaican culture, for example eek a mouse's "george porgie pudding and pie" etc. so it probably has no real meaning behind it.

Last edited:

ripley

is another reggae/dancehall related one, what does it mean when they shout 'walllaaan' ? is it just like 'pull up', im sure ive heard it used in other contexts aswell?

I'm pretty sure it's "hold on"

in Patois you often drop the d at the end of a word (when its before a vowel), and the h at the beginning kinda shades towards w

so "hold" comes out something like: 'uohl'

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
"walllaaan"? i dont think i know what youre talking about...

reminds me though, of the "WASSA WASSA" i hear all the time in african music. Tego Calderon also repeats it in that one tune off his debut. my african friend tells me that it has no specific meaning, but just like, something cool to say...

Tego's saying guasa guasa... "Guasa" is a joke, but in this context it means someone who is talking shit... hence the name of his album "El Enemy de los guasabiri" = the enemy of the shit-talkers/haters.