questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

mos dan

fact music
i'm not sure people dancing to old garage tunes in clubs has that much to do with swingier patterns coming back into dubstep. the reverse of that could be argued just as easily. it's probably a bit of both though.

really? the two are separate but related trends imo. i remember being on the tube this time last year and overhearing a conversation:

shoho bloke 1: yknow gary's djing a lot again
shoho bloke 2: gary? really? how come? what's he playing?
shoho bloke 1: garage!!
shoho bloke 2: what the old stuff??
shoho bloke 1: everyone wants to hear garage again! every club you go into lately..

which seemed like a pretty accurate assessment. by 06/07 it had been long enough for people to feel a bit of nostalgia innit..

john eden

male pale and stale
[in relation to the above] - when did Goodz record "Switching Songs" - that must count as some kind of milestone in the garrige reappreciation, er, ting.

"percy" - in relation to a tune, is Percy Thrower, yes? I just got that this morning. :eek:

viktorvaughn

"percy" - in relation to a tune, is Percy Thrower, yes? I just got that this morning. :eek:

This topic has arisen before!

Percy - Percy Ingle (the cheapo baker) which is derived from personal [fave].

Someone was saying when it was asked before that back in the hardcore days Percy meant Percy Thrower; a 'grower' of a track.

benjybars

village elder.
i'm not sure people dancing to old garage tunes in clubs has that much to do with swingier patterns coming back into dubstep. the reverse of that could be argued just as easily. it's probably a bit of both though.

there's definitely a lot more 2 steppy stuff being played out now than 18 months ago... even Tempa are back on it (a little bit anyway)

Someone was saying when it was asked before that back in the hardcore days Percy meant Percy Thrower; a 'grower' of a track.

"This one's a, a personal.... a perceeingle"
I love DEE. GOAT, easy.

john eden

male pale and stale

Ah ok, great.

You crazy youngsters! ;)

straight

wings cru
earliest garage revival i remember is early 2007 at the scala at some indie disco do having a garage room. Always seemed like an excuse for ironic moschinos for the nu ravers. And also last years bassline blowup made a lot of people yearn for the old vocals

hint

party record with a siren
Yeah - I always saw it as an after-effect of the rise of Bassline.

Bassline gets big -> Records like Count & Sinden's "Beeper" getting a lot of play -> stuff like "RIP Groove" getting picked up again -> people become more open to other types of Garage.

Of course, Burial had a lot of people getting more vocal about their love of 2 Step too.

Don't think there's anything "ironic" about the revival though... that word gets thrown about too much on Dissensus in that snobbish way.

2step didn't get enough exposure outside London the first time around. I live in Belfast and all i was aware of was So Solid, Craig David and a few Ms.Dynamite tunes. I loved 21 seconds and a few tunes by Deekline and always was into swinging stuff from the likes of Tim Wright and Si Begg but didn't know of much proper underground garage..didn't have access to it. I got into it after Boxcutter played me MJ's Dubb 2000, that was a pure "wtf!" moment!

I've completely fell in love with it in the last 4/5 months with big help from that "Great 2step" thread and the start of Blackdown's rinse shows. Itchy, swinging drums over big subs and syncopated vocals is clearly the baddest sound there is. Dubstep wasn't necessarily a move forward.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
there's definitely a lot more 2 steppy stuff being played out now than 18 months ago... even Tempa are back on it (a little bit anyway)

yeah definitely not disputing that at all, i just mean i think the garage revival a bigger thing than this, and although it will certainly have had an impact, to say that it's just due to dubstep broadening its rhythmic horizons is a bit misleading. especially seeing as there have been so many crazy unexpected developments in dance music this year

mms

sometimes
Dubstep wasn't necessarily a move forward.

dubstep was 2 step but just a different take on it, if you listen to the roots of it, there isn't alot to divide the two things apart from a dubbed out slighty darker attitude, maybe less big vocal tunes, more of a cinematic feel.

i don't think 2 step is due a revival, just people who liked dubstep when it was more like 2 step and less like a slow version of 2 step aggy drum and bass will naturally reach back to reinforce it's roots when it seems that that whole drunk ironic cockney thug shouting bassline thing looks like it's gonna start to dominate.

I think for the real heads, those that moved with 2 step probably moved back to r and b and house and into funky.

Last edited:

claphands

Poorly-known member
My Portuguese language exchange didn't have a clue when I was talking about "by-ee-lee funk" the other day. Apparently it's "by-eel" as there's no accent on the last 'e'.

you're in Portugal not Brazil. Brazilian portuguese has upward and downward inflections insides words, while in Portgual they shorten words drastically.

"The Baile Funk" = O (u, like a latin u in the word universidade, neutral inflection) by (upward inflection) lee (more upward inflection) fun (deep UN with a downward inflection) keee (the e is subtle and more quietly spoken with a neutral inflection)

Five syllables in Brazil, like three and half maybe in Portugal.

In either case, the genre is only known as "baile funk" outside of Brazil. In Brazil, it's Funk Carioca (Fun (down) --kee (up) car (up)-ee(up)-oh (down)-ka (neutral)) or in Rio simply "Funk" (fun-kee)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i don't think 2 step is due a revival, just people who liked dubstep when it was more like 2 step and less like a slow version of 2 step aggy drum and bass will naturally reach back to reinforce it's roots when it seems that that whole drunk ironic cockney thug shouting bassline thing looks like it's gonna start to dominate.

a lot of the people making and playing swung dubstep now weren't there back then though (or if they were they were too young to go raving then), and quite a few of the old guard from 2 step days are making tunes now which reinforce the status quo

people in lots of different kinds of places are playing garage records again, not just to disillusioned dubstep heads

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
a lot of the people making and playing swung dubstep now weren't there back then though

i don't see how that makes any difference to what i've said though,
as for your second point i was answering a question about dubstep, but yeah people who liked two step are still playing two step alongside newer stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean a revival, it's probably in itself a reaction towards dubstep from people who were into 2 step's poppy elements.

Last edited:
Yeah i realise that mms. My point was just that I much prefer El-b, Horsepower, Zed Bias and Menta stuff to most newer dubstep.

mms

sometimes
Yeah i realise that mms. My point was just that I much prefer El-b, Horsepower, Zed Bias and Menta stuff to most newer dubstep.

yeah me too, or the stuff just after it on the whole. there wasn't enough that was just different enough from garage to make a real impact on me at the time, in a 'yes this is a different thing from garage way', even though i liked it, the real turning point hadn't quite come, while grime was way further on down the line sounding totally new.

STN

sou'wester