questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Kuma

The Konspirator
i have a question, which is in a way kind of important, but also sort of taboo for obvious reasons, but...

how much do djs get paid? at different clubs, at different stages of their careers, etc.

say it's none of my business if you like, but i'm interested.

Seeing as I'm a booking agent and a promoter, I suffer from a unique perspective.

Cole's notes version: everything from nothing to thousands of pounds.

In the end, context is everything as its related to venue, crows, excess hype behind DJ, how much the ageent is demanding, how much you can negotiate...

3 Body No Problem

Probably depends where you play, and who your agency is. I doubt that you can get much playing out in London, because there's such a flood of good DJs/musicians. If you get booked by a good agency and get regular gigs in DUbai, Bejing, Singapore, Moscow ... you can probably live on your DJing income.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Probably depends where you play, and who your agency is. I doubt that you can get much playing out in London, because there's such a flood of good DJs/musicians. If you get booked by a good agency and get regular gigs in DUbai, Bejing, Singapore, Moscow ... you can probably live on your DJing income.

(in London) I know from friends that the money is absurdly geared towards how 'cool' you are perceived as being, rather than how good you are/how you hype the crowd...ie, as a name 'DJ' who can't even mix, you will earn around ten times as much as people who do it for a living and are rather good at it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
No worries.

I should start a Peter Cook rarities thread - I have most of the main published books of sketches, but I'm sure there's some obscure transcripts/youtube vids out there somewhere.

So, what equipment were we talking about, jungle days?
I ask because I'm rinsing some stuff now and it's hard to figure out man. i couldn't do that now.

but then that might say more about my own limitations lol

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
When did UKG come back into fashion?

from a distance, as outsider, i would say sometime last year 2007. so in reality it was probablly around 2 years ago (as i seem to be consistantly 2-3 years behind the whipersnappers - like with funky for instance)

BareBones

wheezy
from a distance, as outsider, i would say sometime last year 2007. so in reality it was probablly around 2 years ago (as i seem to be consistantly 2-3 years behind the whipersnappers - like with funky for instance)

i think it was when dubstep went really plodding and boring for a while

also i think you can chalk a lot of it up to 'the burial effect'

Jonesy

Wild Horses
if you are thinking in terms of "baile funk" it's by-lee funky

My Portuguese language exchange didn't have a clue when I was talking about "by-ee-lee funk" the other day. Apparently it's "by-eel" as there's no accent on the last 'e'.

hint

party record with a siren
So, what equipment were we talking about, jungle days?
I ask because I'm rinsing some stuff now and it's hard to figure out man. i couldn't do that now.

but then that might say more about my own limitations lol

The classic setup seemed to centre around an Akai S2000 and a Mackie desk (upgrading to the S3000 or the EMU samplers later on).

Atari ST with Cubase or Notator for sequencing :)

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music

the likes of whistla were complaining vehemently that 'the swing has gone' in early 2006.. and responded by bringing it back :D

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i'm not sure people dancing to old garage tunes in clubs has that much to do with swingier patterns coming back into dubstep. the reverse of that could be argued just as easily. it's probably a bit of both though.