questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

petergunn

plywood violin
what's the significance of popping the trunk in hip hop car parlance?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

STN

sou'wester
Is it just me or do Thrashers by Neil Young and Candle in the Wind by Elton John, sound almost exactly the same?

mos dan

fact music
Is it just me or do Thrashers by Neil Young and Candle in the Wind by Elton John, sound almost exactly the same?

Hmm. I just listened to 'Thrasher' on Yootoob (which album is it from? I'm a bit of a fan of his, up to a point..) - it sounds more like his own 'Campaigner' to me! Though I do see what you mean.

STN

sou'wester
It's on Live Rust which is a wicked album - there may be a studio version too, I'm not sure.

Shonx

Shallow House
why do people say present day d&B is shit?

It's midrangey and moronic if it's jump up, try hard evil and too busy if it's techstep, and too blandly jazzy if it's liquid. Oh and it's too fast now if you're an old junglist, and it's not black enough any more if you're a sociologically inclined music journo.

I think people at dnb raves might reckon it's alright though, not much point going out to nights if they're shit (although I've been out to a fair few shit nights in my time).

Elijah

Butterz
It's midrangey and moronic if it's jump up, try hard evil and too busy if it's techstep, and too blandly jazzy if it's liquid. Oh and it's too fast now if you're an old junglist, and it's not black enough any more if you're a sociologically inclined music journo.

I think people at dnb raves might reckon it's alright though, not much point going out to nights if they're shit (although I've been out to a fair few shit nights in my time).

that was a pretty complicated answer. Thanks though.

Shonx

Shallow House
No worries. Just to add that all the people that say it's shit will love it if it sounds like mid-90's Photek.

There's loads of threads about it on DOA. As I pretty much lost interest in dnb around the late 90's, I prefer the earlier stuff, but then it's more popular and widespread now and it seems that most of the newer heads love how it sounds nowadays (apparently the older stuff was really badly produced and too slow). A lot of it sounds like shit ringtones to me, but each to their own.

I think it's also got a lot to do with being loved by the folks who are mostly referred to as "chavs", so I think there's rather a lot of snobbery involved. I don't mind them so much, far better than students ruining evenings by filling up the dancefloor posing for their facebook pics;)

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
It's a wonder students still have time for a punishing regime of tea drinking and neighbours-watching what with all the musical genres we have to ruin. Thankfully with the 50% of the population in higher education goal we'll soon have enough people to do it in shifts.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a wonder students still have time for a punishing regime of tea drinking and neighbours-watching what with all the musical genres we have to ruin. Thankfully with the 50% of the population in higher education goal we'll soon have enough people to do it in shifts.

Ahahahahaha

mos dan

fact music

brilliant :)

STN

sou'wester
I like the new Coldplay record, I told my two best friends this and they pelted me with cashew nuts. Was this fair?

I'd say almost certainly.

mos dan

fact music
I like the new Coldplay record, I told my two best friends this and they pelted me with cashew nuts. Was this fair?

it was a waste of good cashew nuts. you don't deserve to have them bouncing off your culturally-leprous body :)

4linehaiku

Repetitive

Are your friends in fact monkeys? I think higher primates throwing 7.3 cashew nuts at passersby is actually the pitchfork review for that album.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
It's less painful than being pelted with Bombay Mix anyway, that really bloody hurts.

Shonx

Shallow House

Can you put the traffic cones back too?