questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Perhaps this has come up elsewhere but what's with the reggae obsession with soundboys? Taken on face value it looks like there's some kind of fatwa against them.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Perhaps this has come up elsewhere but what's with the reggae obsession with soundboys? Taken on face value it looks like there's some kind of fatwa against them.
It's just a diminutive version of soundman isn't it? Soundman is the general job description, soundboy is someone who's not really big enough to do it properly. If postmen clashed they'd probably call each other 'postboy'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Other people could answer this better, but 'soundboy' here just means 'other soundboy', doesn't it? I.e. it's a clashing thing, a way of saying that you're the real top soundboy.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Actually, while we're on the subject of stuff in the JA tradition, here's another one -
The dancehall a capella that's been sampled on a few jungle and garage tunes, it goes something along the lines of 'special request to all the gyal dem from north, south, east and west, bruk wile, bruk a man's spine' (plus some other bits I forget) - where does it come from?
If I understand correctly, it's Top Cat that does it, but I don't know what the record it was originally on was called.

Edit: for reference, this tune seems to have the a capella in full at the start. Prob more helpful than my garbled paraphrase -

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Are there any bands that expose their music (which could easily be recorded) only at live events?

Might be a way to compensate for dwindling physical sales by supercharging personal appearances: 'X will be touring their new 'album' Y, whose songs will never be recorded nor released...'

I'd go.

there is that ultracult japanese band les rallizes denudes, who have never officially released an album, very reclusive, come from far left japanese art leanings.
http://noise.as/rallizes

woops

is not like other people
'postboy' can also double as a putdown for triflin' contributors to internet message boards.

swears

preppy-kei
What is the amazing synth-dub sounding tune (or riddim or whatever) starting properly at about 0:48 on this?

Can't embed, sorry.

Last edited: