questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yep, it's definitely that riddim.

This one's got vaguely that sound, but maybe how blown out and munted it sounds in that clip is part of the appeal? Probably not going to get it with the "real" thing.

john eden

male pale and stale
the original clip is great because of the cross-fader madness, distortion in the dance and the knackered video tape it comes from.

Kind of like what The Bug does.

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Hey Ben!

Thanks for that.

There are some hilarious (and thorough!) definitions on that site. My UK slang muscles have obv atrophied - I hardly know anything on there. I guess ... that's a par?

mh

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Could explain the significance with the (Jungle/DnB/whatever) MCism of "Running the border"?
It appears with a few different versions: Running the border right about now. We run the border. etc etc
Is there some Jamaicanism that I'm not aware of?

D

droid

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'

Right, so what's the cultural significance here?
Jamaica is an island, so it can't be a physical thing. Gregory Isaacs is talking about leaving Babylon - is there some obscure reference there, or just the usual rejection of western society stuff?

D

droid

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
In roots reggae there's a whole load of songs about wanting to go back to Africa - why did these people not just get on a plane and go? Or am I being really culturally insensitive or something by even asking this?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In roots reggae there's a whole load of songs about wanting to go back to Africa - why did these people not just get on a plane and go? Or am I being really culturally insensitive or something by even asking this?
At a guess, the rasta concept of returning to 'Africa' is as much about returning to a pre-colonialism, pre-slavery, pre-capitalism, spiritually uncorrupted state of being as it is about upping sticks to Addis Ababa.

How historically accurate this is is kind of debatable - the pre-colonial african empires weren't all peace-loving hippies - but that's not really the point.

D

droid

Plus, most Jamaicans cant afford to fly anywhere (if they can even get a visa in the first place), let alone afford to emigrate, which is why the Black Star liners ares still referenced today.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
^ What Slothrop said.

Plus, JA was/is incredibly poor, so it wasn't realistic.

Garvey set up the Black Star Line in the 1920s to repatriate, but it went bust.

There is a Rasta camp in Ethiopia, which has, iirc ex-pat Jamaicans living there (can't remember if they set it up).

dd528

There is a Rasta camp in Ethiopia, which has, iirc ex-pat Jamaicans living there (can't remember if they set it up).

Shashamene is the place you're thinking of. It was set up by Haile Selassie as a place where rastas would be welcome to come and establish a new life. I think it got hit pretty hard by the junta in the late 80s but I saw a documentary (on the BBC I think) a while ago that said there were still two or three hundred families living there.