questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I saw this book today and had a quick glance: It's about learning to draw by accessing the right hemisphere of your brain (the visual/spatial/non-verbal side... i think?). Apparently one of the things that people find hard about drawing is that they are prone to processing/interpreting what they see with language instead of just SEEING it... if you get my meaning. Sorry I'm typing like a retard I need some sugar...

Anyway, this might be an interesting thing to think about in relation to writing about music, or reading writing about music. Putting a verbal interpretation onto something which is fundamentally non-verbal... I think rap music is a lot easier to write about than instrumental dance music because it has that verbal aspect.

Mind you, there is some great writing about instrumental dance music that has made me listen to that music more attentively. It's just very hard.

stephenk

ah yeah i bring it up because you're talking about describing cadences. i agree it's a lot easier to review lyrical stuff, because you can focus on that in a somewhat normal literary analysis kind of way.

i started out writing a lot of hyperbole/boomkat-isms, but i've been trying not to go too crazy with it lately. a lot of people try to make these grand statements. i think reviews should be shorter...if some b-side is really formulaic, it should just be left at that - "this is a formulaic house track, whatever".

at the same time i hate when people's writing takes the same template for every review. the most effective stuff is somewhere in between, i think.

+ the right brain/left brain thing is interesting. the trick is probably not to let your fantasies get the better of you when describing the non-verbal. a track might sound like crockett and tubbs blasting mr. fingers on a vhs nightdrive, but how does that actually sound? like what does it feel like? it's tricky.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wavey

1. Outrightly drunk or high, out of one's mind, and the polar opposite of sober.
"Break out that bottle of vodka so we can all get wavey."

2. Lookin Fly, Swaggarific And Cool
Person 1: Jheeze!!... Ur Lookin Wavey Cuz

Person 2: Dun Kno.. U Kno Hw I Du... Gotta Look Wavey Allday Everyday.... Jheezzuuss!!

3. to be high as shit
yo, u tryin to get wavey??

Wow, I wish I'd consulted this before I wrote that thing in my Max B review about not knowing what the fuck it means.

I think in the case of Max it has a slightly different, more elaborate meaning, connected to his pseudonym 'The Silver Surfer' and also (it seems to me) to catching a 'wave' of popularity/hype by releasing a load of mixtapes. Also I thought it might be like a heat-wave/crime-wave thing... And finally I decided when ASAP Rocky (for example) is described as 'Wavey' it just means he sounds a bit like Max B.

Then again, Max B more often than not sounds drunk/high, so perhaps it just means that.

connect_icut

Okay, here's a new one. My copy of Seventeen Seconds by The Cure has "A Forest" on it twice and no "Play for Today" (it's listed but "A Forest" is there instead, as well as being where it should be!) Does this make my copy of this album a rarity?

connect_icut

Sorry, that was a boring question. Perhaps a more interesting question would be "How does such a thing happen?" So, how does an LP get mastered with one of the tracks missing and another repeated? Also, was this sort of thing more common with old-school analogue mastering or could it conceivably happen today?

connect_icut

Someone makes a mistake

Seems to be a pretty major mistake though. I can see how someone might drop the wrong song in on an iTunes playlist but to do so when mastering an LP on magnetic tape seems massively negligent. The fact that nobody noticed until this particular record was out in the marketplace also suggests extreme carelessness, particularly as this particular mispress appears to be pretty common. One of these recently sold for 20 quid, which seems like very little for a mispress, so there must be plenty of them out there.

Leo

does the itunes store auto-suggest new releases based on what songs are currently in your itunes (sort of the way gmail posts text ads related to words it finds in your emails)?

i just went to the 'electronica" home page in the itunes store and noticed a new single from the fairly obscure group called hess is more, and i happen to have a couple of their older tracks in my itunes library. considering the millions of tracks in the itunes store, the chances of them popping up on the itunes genre home page seems incredibly slim. i've noticed other coincidences like this in the past, just wondering.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wavey

1. Outrightly drunk or high, out of one's mind, and the polar opposite of sober.
"Break out that bottle of vodka so we can all get wavey."

2. Lookin Fly, Swaggarific And Cool
Person 1: Jheeze!!... Ur Lookin Wavey Cuz

Person 2: Dun Kno.. U Kno Hw I Du... Gotta Look Wavey Allday Everyday.... Jheezzuuss!!

3. to be high as shit
yo, u tryin to get wavey??

Wow, I wish I'd consulted this before I wrote that thing in my Max B review about not knowing what the fuck it means.

I think in the case of Max it has a slightly different, more elaborate meaning, connected to his pseudonym 'The Silver Surfer' and also (it seems to me) to catching a 'wave' of popularity/hype by releasing a load of mixtapes. Also I thought it might be like a heat-wave/crime-wave thing... And finally I decided when ASAP Rocky (for example) is described as 'Wavey' it just means he sounds a bit like Max B.

Then again, Max B more often than not sounds drunk/high, so perhaps it just means that.

Just saw this, cheers mate. That urban dictionary stuff all makes sense. I guess what was confusing was that I'd seen it used to refer to an activity someone might get up to - 'getting wavey' which as per the above definitions obv just means getting fucked up - but also seen it used a few times in reference to tunes - 'this one's wavey' and so forth. I suppose that could just mean that the tune would sound good when you're fucked up or just generally sounds a bit effed, but maybe it fits with the second definition of wavey as fly, i.e something that sounds a bit stylish, has a swagger to it? Dunno.

Client Eastwood

This has been bugging me for ages. At the end of the boomkat email it often says
"Peace! nekkers...xx "

what's/who nekkers ?

apols if this is a dumbass question.