questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Where is luka, anyway?

My music nerd cred might take a beating for this one, I'm aware.

I'd like for him to have been on a week long pub binge from which he comes in and gets straight on dissensus.

ifp

reggae/dancehall nerds: what does 'mascot' mean specifically?
'him a fool, him a mickey mouse, him a mascot'

zhao

there are no accidents
reggae/dancehall nerds: what does 'mascot' mean specifically?
'him a fool, him a mickey mouse, him a mascot'

somewhere along the lines of a tool of the establishment, a sell out, a clown, i would imagine

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
always wondered why most flyers are so ambiguous as to what genres to expect from the night they're promoting. esp with todays sea of unheard of djs

and does it do a night any favors when the location is kept a secret?

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
always wondered why most flyers are so ambiguous as to what genres to expect from the night they're promoting. esp with todays sea of unheard of djs

and does it do a night any favors when the location is kept a secret?

Ambiguity - I think if you are promoting a night that will stick to one style then it inevitably does appear on the flyer, usually with extraneous adjectives, e.g. "funky sexy groovy house" (for which read: David Guetta and whatever's on the latest Hed Kandi CD) or "filthy dirty mum-raping dubstep!!!". I see your point in that if the night consists entirely of no-name DJs then there needs to be some sort of descriptor, but if each DJ is playing a different style (or plays multiple styles in their set) then fitting them all on the flyer is tricky, and to be honest, when I do see flyers that say "House/R&B/Dubstep/Indie/Party" I immediately become suspicious. I have a sneaking fondness for flyers that list all the artists whose music is likely to be played, checklist-style - if you like all these artists, come to this night! There'll be no unpleasant surprises or, heaven forbid, anything new or interesting.

Secret Location - I think this is largely an attempt to channel the essence of the early rave scene, the anticipation and in-crowdiness. There's no harm in it, though if you live in London it's inevitably Hearn St Car Park. I don't think it benefits or harms the night particularly, though it's harder to pull off unless you're booking name DJs or the night is already well-established.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
agree with the fun of the unknown and am all for being surprised. but sometimes it just seems like it would help the night to draw more punters if it at least gave a hint.

re: channeling the rave scene, fair enough, i guess. seems a bit forced though.[/grandad]

while i'm at it, why do some artists release a single with someone elses remix of their song on it? wouldn't it be better to put 2 of your own tunes on there? surely that's better self promotion?

aaaaand, why call something a remix if there's no discernable similarity to the original track?

that one is the one question i've always wondered but never bothered because of the nerd cred thing

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
agree with the fun of the unknown and am all for being surprised. but sometimes it just seems like it would help the night to draw more punters if it at least gave a hint.
There's a difference between being surprised by hearing all sorts of crazy new stuff that you hadn't heard of before, and being surprised because they rinse fairly predictable dubstep tunes all night...

the idiot

Secret Location - I think this is largely an attempt to channel the essence of the early rave scene, the anticipation and in-crowdiness. There's no harm in it, though if you live in London it's inevitably Hearn St Car Park. I don't think it benefits or harms the night particularly, though it's harder to pull off unless you're booking name DJs or the night is already well-established.

When the venue is 'TBA' you do tend to expect it to be a venue that isn't a nightclub. recently i've had a ticket to something that was listed as TBA and the venue turned out to be a proper 'only way is essex' type of fully licensed nightclub. was pissed off to say the least.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Anyone know that tune when they show prizes or items on a conveyor belt?
Played on a xylophone I think.

I know what you mean but I don't know what it is. Read this post earlier and I've had the tune in my head all day, I'm holding you personally responsible

hint

party record with a siren
while i'm at it, why do some artists release a single with someone elses remix of their song on it? wouldn't it be better to put 2 of your own tunes on there? surely that's better self promotion?

Getting a known name's remix on a release is just a form of advertising through association, usually. An "if you like artist X... maybe you'll like Y" kind of thing. Especially in the underground / independent music scene.

A good remix can help sell a release to people who might otherwise ignore it.
A bad / average remix can make the original look better.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
There's a difference between being surprised by hearing all sorts of crazy new stuff that you hadn't heard of before, and being surprised because they rinse fairly predictable dubstep tunes all night...

no shit! :D

Getting a known name's remix on a release is just a form of advertising through association, usually. An "if you like artist X... maybe you'll like Y" kind of thing. Especially in the underground / independent music scene.

A good remix can help sell a release to people who might otherwise ignore it.
A bad / average remix can make the original look better.

riiiiight. gotcha.

that only leaves the unrecognizable remix question.

hint

party record with a siren
that only leaves the unrecognizable remix question.

Well, usually it'll be a case of a label paying for a remix from A Name™ and feeling obliged to use it no matter what.

Totally unrecognizable remixes come about through laziness, lack of musical ability, mischief... loads of reasons.

trza

I always associated the no-name boring remixes on b-sides or dance music 12"s to be made for dj's who want something to mix, no matter how boring or uninspired it sounds. Just the tiniest changing of the drum pattern or a big long intro of just thumping noises so any idiot can match it to another record.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I always associated the no-name boring remixes on b-sides or dance music 12"s to be made for dj's who want something to mix, no matter how boring or uninspired it sounds. Just the tiniest changing of the drum pattern or a big long intro of just thumping noises so any idiot can match it to another record.
Yeah, well with pop and chartbound dance it seems to be about getting as much exposure as possible by getting it into as many clubs as possible.

With stuff that sells mainly to DJs it seems to happen a bit when they know it's a must-have tune anyway so there's no point sticking something in the same genre on from a sales point of view - you might as well stick another style on, and hopefully get a whole other lot of DJs to buy it too. This seems to be the case for a lot of early funky releases - you'll get a UK funky mix, a straight house mix, a bassline mix and so on.

Unrecognisable remixes - who cares really, if it's any good?