linebaugh

I've never heard Dostoyevsky wrote badly, or badly on purpose.
Karamovoz is full of useless qualifiers, 'and then maybe perhaps the tree was big and tall, if I can so myself.' The intentionally poor narration is something that is genuinely accepted by scholarship on the book.

linebaugh

Dostoyevsky’s roughness, despite the rush and the pressure, was all deliberate. No matter what the deadline, if he didn’t like what he had, he would throw it all out and start again. So this so-called clumsiness is seen in his drafts, the way he works on it. It’s deliberate. His narrator is not him; it’s always a bad provincial writer who has an unpolished quality but is deeply expressive. In the beginning of ‘The Brothers Karamazov,’ in the note to the reader, there is the passage about ‘being at a loss to resolve these questions, I am resolved to leave them without any resolution.’ He stumbles. It’s all over the place

linebaugh

The style of The Brothers Karamazov is based on the spoken, not the written, word. Dostoevsky composed in voices. We know from his notebooks and letters how he gathered the phrases, mannerisms, verbal tics from which a Fyodor Pavlovich or a Smerdyakov would emerge, and how he would try out these voices....The publication of his notebooks in the 1930s finally dispelled the old prejudice that Dostoevsky was a careless and indifferent stylist. All the oddities of his prose are deliberate; they are a sort of "learned ignorance," a willed imperfection of artistic means, that is essential to his vision.

linebaugh

and not that I think Karamazov is/was bad, but the style wasn't what I was in the mood for at the time. Ill probably return

version

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Catcher in the Rye sounds like Trump,

" ... he was about fifty times as intelligent. He was terrifically intelligent.... But it wasn't just that he was the most intelligent member in the family. He was also the nicest, in lots of ways. He never got mad at anybody. People with red hair are supposed to get mad very easily, but Allie never did, and he had very red hair. I'll tell you what kind of red hair he had. I started playing golf when I was only ten years old... "

IdleRich

IdleRich
fiuappp1qc061.jpg
It's like one of those holiday review things "Saw the pyramids, not that great really" - "Walked by Grand Canyon, overrated".
My girlfriend is obsessed with the one-size-fits-all universality of the Amazon (is it?) reviews... it's like hmmm, what shall I do today, could check out the Himalayas, looks as though they have an overall 3.6 rating which is not bad, or possibly I'll go to Dave's cafe in Stockport which apparently does a great full English and has scored 3.8 off 27 reviews.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can't believe you're reading that rural rubbish instead of finishing Gravity's Rainbow.
I wish I could distil all the really good bits of GR into a book about half or two-thirds as long, and leave out all the bits where he's trying to be funny, sexy, or - god help us - "zany". Not to mention all the terrible bloody songs.

catalog

i've had demons/possessed on the shelf for at least 2 months, will get to it soon, after the spare and morrison. we should. have a fyodor thread

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought C&P was fantastic. I have a constant nagging feeling that I should read more Dosto. Maybe when I've finished the current set of books I'm reading (or re-reading, or intending to re-read).