entertainment

I read White Noise for the first time this week. I think the satire must have lost some of the bite it had back then because it seemed a bit stale but I liked the writing a lot.

version

It's in its death throes, desultory. You can't have a conversation any more. It's just I like this, I don't like that, and dad jokes. Can't remember the last time it felt so moribund. I blame version.
I am more powerful and influential than you. It's true.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Slightly different complaint, or issue or whatever - I remember reading an Orhan Pamuk (probably My Name is Red) and struggling with the translation, at least partly cos it used words such as "gotten" which to me were non-neutral and so added an extra and unwelcome layer of translation between the original text and me. Although of course I do recognise that's subjective in itself... in my defence it was a clunky translation of what is already a confusingly written book (or is it?).
I read about a third of that book and realised I was struggling, and then realised that this was because it was quite pretentious and not very interesting.

version

I read White Noise for the first time this week. I think the satire must have lost some of the bite it had back then because it seemed a bit stale but I liked the writing a lot.
This is more or less how I felt, although I also thought the third section was much worse than the previous two. The whole Dylar plot. I also realised how much of a debt Wallace owed to DeLillo once I read WN. The tennis academy thread of Infinite Jest's basically White Noise with tennis.

entertainment

This is more or less how I felt, although I also thought the third section was much worse than the previous two. The whole Dylar plot. I also realised how much of a debt Wallace owed to DeLillo once I read WN. The tennis academy thread of Infinite Jest's basically White Noise with tennis.
haven't read any dfw.

delillos personality via the narrator reminded me a lot of luka. a similar ordering temperament of the weight and perspective of things.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I ran out of gas with Gravity's Rainbow, as well as Thousand Plateaus, as well as Journey to Ixtlan. Indefinite hiatus. Happening to anyone else? @version I recall you mentioning how reading has gotten more trying lately, but perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

edit: for GR, right where Tcitcherine is introduced

luka

I should just succumb to the manic attention singularity of the teaching machine?

Just stick with what you've been doing. Playing Metal gear Solid with a podcast on in the background. Maybe a Wikipedia check for background information every now and again. Books are for losers.