I left my kindle downstairs, so checking througj my wife's classics shelf. Also picked out Mimesis by Erich Auerbach. Looks significant. The representation of reality in western literature. ok Erich, what you got?

john eden

male pale and stale
2020. Best ones are highlighted.

Simon Morris - Watching The Wheels
Dickhead Bidge - Bakunin Brand Vodka: Anarchism In Early Punk 1976-1980
Mark Hayes - The Trouble With National Action
Daniel Sonabend - We Fight Fascists: The 43 Group and Their Forgotten Battle for Post-War Britain
Nanni Balestrini - We Want Everything: The novel of Italy’s hot autumn

Bill Drummond and Mark Manning - Bad Wisdom
Ian Glasper - The Day The Country Died: A History of Anarcho Punk 1980-1984
Franklin Rosemont - Joe Hill: The IWW & The Making of a Revolutionary Workingclass Counterculture
Emmanuel Litvinoff - A Death Out Of Season: A Novel Of The Siege Of Sidney Street

Mark Leier - Bakunin: The Creative Passion
Andrea Dworkin - Heartbreak: The Political Memoir of a Feminist Militant
Michael “Bommi” Baumann - How It All Began: The Personal Account of a West German Urban Guerilla
Steve Lake - Zounds Demystified
Johanna Fateman & Amy Scholder - Last Days At Hot Slit: The Radical Feminism of Andrea Dworkin
Angry Workers Of The World - Class Power On Zero Hours
Aaron Cometbus - Add Toner: A Cometbus Collection
Dhanveer Singh Brar - Beefy's Tune: Dean Blunt Edit
John Stoltenberg - Refusing To Be A Man: Essays on Sex and Justice
Spitzenprodukte - CHUBZ: The Demonisation of My Working Arse
Ted Curtis - The Darkening Light
Endnotes #5 - The Passions and the Interests
D Hunter - Chav Solidarity
Sam Selvon - The Lonely Londoners
The Rio Tape Slide Archive: Radical Community Photography in Hackney in the 80s
Fred Vermorel - Dead Fashion Girl: A Situationist Detective Story
James Curran, Ivor Gaber and Julian Petley - Culture Wars: The Media and the British Left The Left = the Labour Party.
Joy White - Terraformed: Young Black Lives In The Inner City
Nigel Todd - In Excited Times: The People Against The Blackshirts

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Reading "1606 The Year of Lear" after Jenks shouted at me. It's really good. It also reminds me of the Beckett biography I read, in that any quotation from Shakespeare sticks out a mile from the surrounding prose and therefore functions as a prompt to make you go and read the original stuff.

Been struggling reading this week, even though I'm on holiday and there's nothing else to do. Considering Moby Dick, now considering Shakespeare.

jenks

thread death
Reading "1606 The Year of Lear" after Jenks shouted at me. It's really good. It also reminds me of the Beckett biography I read, in that any quotation from Shakespeare sticks out a mile from the surrounding prose and therefore functions as a prompt to make you go and read the original stuff.

Been struggling reading this week, even though I'm on holiday and there's nothing else to do. Considering Moby Dick, now considering Shakespeare.
He’s really good - there’s a lot of mileage to be got out of the new historicism approach. Great stuff on equivocation, priest holes, and all that religious stuff. Lucky to meet him in once, he was genuinely funny and very generous with his time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Found Moravagine by Blaise Cendrars on the shelf and realised I'd started reading it a few years back but got interrupted. Dunno why cos it's an interesting book... as I remember it's kinda like Maldoror in that it's early 20th century French literature written under a pseudonym and that the protagonist is a crazed madman. Although the writing style is far less... florid.
Moravagine is the last of his line of some European nobility and has been locked in a lunatic asylum for most of his life. The narrator springs him from jail - whence he immediately murders a small child - and then they set off round Europe on a spree of international crimes and murder.
Actually now I'm reading this again properly I dunno why I said it was less florid, it's completely over the top, if precise in its way at the same time.

Attachments

• 20201223_160917.jpg
    20201223_160917.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20201223_160929.jpg
    20201223_160929.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 2

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's like being button-holed by an extremely intense maniac who shouts in your face a load of incredibly verbose but actually surprisingly interesting stuff.