luka

It's possible that he is trying to emulate an American conversational casualness, and failing, but that seems unlikely.

Benny Bunter

Or maybe not so much cheeky, but trailing off when he can't quite remember something he wants to quote (obviously not having access to his books in the prison camp)

luka

Yes, and it's interesting how the same device in two different poets can register in quite different ways, just the tone of voice, the attitude towards the reader and the world

Benny Bunter

Related, I was actually getting really annoyed reading something from the New American poetry anthology, can't remember what, where they used 'etc'. I know it's supposed to be like casual, deliberately vague, but it just seems like a cop out.

version

Cities of the Red Night. Strange reading Burroughs writing like this after being so familiar with Naked Lunch and the cut ups. Reads a bit like Ballard's Crystal World atm and doesn't feel as fresh and exciting as something like Nova Express.

jenks

thread death
After rr-reading Morretti’s Atlas of the European Novel, I have started Old Goriot. Already hooked, not quite Lost Illusions brilliant but certainly feel like I’m in the hands of a master. @craner weren’t you going to do something on him?
Also got the Tin Drum on the go, somehow I’ve managed to miss out on this up til now.
And The Promise - don’t usually bother with Booker winners but it’s very good - like a South African Faulkner. Reckon a few on here would like it.