DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

captain easychord

its always been a part of club music. most scenes the fans are not only punters but sometimes also djs. for every person that doesn't give a shit what the tune is called, theres others who will kill to find out, and yes, to possess it in their sweaty little hands. this mix of how people want to engage with the music is healthy and normal.

ephemeral consumption seems to be to be an unduly romantic view which doesn't work for everyone - and imo is a waste of fantastic music. it limits its spread, its potential - if its exclusive to the cliques that can get to the raves. and having a tune on a recorded mix is not the same as owning a piece of vinyl. if you want to bring the romance back to music, surely vinyl is the one.

yeah true stories

nomos

Administrator
I'm finding the newer Caspa stuff (not including Moments of Love Remix) is just a kind of gonzo dubstep, where it's all about how much bass you can endure, rather than a tune that makes you dance.
his stuff sounds ham-fisted to me. i don't understood all the praise those tracks have been getting. the basslines have been done done and done again. and that "the bitches fuckin love me" thing sounds like a 14 year old boy who just got a 4track. pass.

now to say something positive, watch for bruno belluomini's split 12" - i'm liking the brazilian inflections on 'taka fogo.'

Last edited:
C

cyst

Purely speculation but is Caspa anything to do with DJ Hazard of true playaz?

Rubber Chicken by caspa is so similar to Hazards track of the same name, and given the number of dnb heads crossing over it would make sense for a producer so adept in 170bpm wobble to just slow things down a bit. I dunno maybe i'm just chatting shit.

viktorvaughn

Rubber Chicken by caspa is so similar to Hazards track of the same name, and given the number of dnb heads crossing over it would make sense for a producer so adept in 170bpm wobble to just slow things down a bit. I dunno maybe i'm just chatting shit.
i saw caspa DJ and he looked pretty young, like 19/20, if that is relevent.

UFO over easy

online mahjong

Don't think so. His alter ego is Quiet Storm, who reps the breakier end of things on rinse and with Storming Productions.

Sort of relevant though - Roni Size has been playing out rubber chicken in drum and bass raves.

Caspa's proved with tunes like Cockney Flute that he's capable of producing wicked, if simple tunes and earlier this year, his ott tunes were a welcome change of pace from all the serious po-faced stuff that was coming out... but now the tone of dubstep seems to have changed slightly and his stuff feels unnecessary. The comedy tracks are fairly one-dimensional - the joke's starting to wear thin.

Last edited:

ramadanman

yeh sorry about the mix up on the deep medi

caspa's track cheesemonger is such a wicked parody of some aspects of dubstep. agree with ufo though, only so much you can do with a 'gimmick'

P

Parson

its hard to imagine caspa wearing thin when you see the whole venue explode with energy anytime somebody drops for the kids or rubber chicken or cockney whatever

elgato

I just dont know
its hard to imagine caspa wearing thin when you see the whole venue explode with energy anytime somebody drops for the kids or rubber chicken or cockney whatever

i wish i could agree man, then i wouldnt feel my head drop every time i hear his tunes dropped in a rave or mix. i just dont feel them, i can see why people might do, but i dont, at all. apart from homesick (which i just cant believe has passed by without any real remark) and cockney flute

i guess maybe i cant escape feeling where it might lead, seeing it in context. maybe out of context i'd respond differently i dunno

elgato

I just dont know
fraid so :/ it just doesnt get me. thats a different one though, i can see that its doing something different but i just dont feel it

bassnation

the abyss
i wish i could agree man, then i wouldnt feel my head drop every time i hear his tunes dropped in a rave or mix. i just dont feel them, i can see why people might do, but i dont, at all. apart from homesick (which i just cant believe has passed by without any real remark) and cockney flute

i guess maybe i cant escape feeling where it might lead, seeing it in context. maybe out of context i'd respond differently i dunno

so you guys, who go out regularly raving to dubstep - how many pill monsters go to these things? i find it hard to believe that people drop e to this music. surely they are all over the place wanting to dance fast but being stymied by the half step? i hear people moaning about it, but when i went to fwd it was mostly smoke and beer as far as i could tell. it seemed like the last place on earth that 'd want to do a e.

boomnoise

♫
up until this year is was exceptionally rare that you would see pill heads but this year at dmz you get people who are clearly mashed. i've heard some reports of people saying it was really great experience and others confirming what you would think.

more and more coke seems to be going round at fwd but that's probably mostly to do with it being on a friday night now. the fwd atmosphere is such that pills would be terrible for me. can't imagine it. which isn't to say there's not a bit of it.

apparently there was some crack smoking going on at fwd the other week. didn't see it though but the very idea makes me feel a little bit uneasy. so removed from the dubstep vibe it's untrue.

it's still mainly weed and beer as the dubstep drugs of choice though.

daddek

go down fabric and watch the whole venue go mental to pendulum, subfocus, or some bullshit. Put people on pills in front of a soundsystem playing bass heavy music with big drops and they'll dance. Making people dance is nothing. This is why dance music gets so old, so quick. Dubstep could be, was, so much more than rave. Put the snare on the 3, easing back on the bpm.. other that that go ahead and do mostly what you would do if you was building a breaks/dnb tune? If that mentality takes over then it's just same shit different name. Maybe that's enough for you but kode9, burial, loefah, benny ill.. they opened up doors to places beyond that, and thats the reason i started listening.

P

Parson

good tunes are good tunes though and caspa makes good tunes

its all about variety though. nobody wants to hear the same shit over and over

benjybars

village elder.
so you guys, who go out regularly raving to dubstep - how many pill monsters go to these things? i find it hard to believe that people drop e to this music. surely they are all over the place wanting to dance fast but being stymied by the half step? i hear people moaning about it, but when i went to fwd it was mostly smoke and beer as far as i could tell. it seemed like the last place on earth that 'd want to do a e.

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10652&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=drugs

some good pics in there if nothing else... :)

boomnoise - where you hear the thing about crack??!! that's mad..:slanted: crackstep for 2007 anyone?

re Caspa ... personally can't see how anyone can dislike his stuff.. being forced to skank out extremely hard is no bad thing in my book!

C

cyst

re: drugs and dubstep - i've always seen drugs as a way to compensate for lack of vibe or decent tunes in a dance, almost a power-up cheat that means you'll have a goodtime whatever. OBviously with more people on class a's at dubstep nights they'll be heads skanking out to pretty much everything. If everyone was just stoned or had had a few tinny's then their reaction is going to be more reflective of the actual value of the tune. Fealt this at leeds DMZ, had a few "wtf, everyones going mad for this track?" moments. Guess dsf hype has alot to do with that too.

No one wants to go to - or play at - a night were everyone just stands still or sways, but i'm worried that more and more tunes are becoming shallower and the easier to "get" elements like midrange wobble and obvious hooks are taking over. Its making dubstep more accesible, and taking it out of the weird stoner music bracket, but at the same time making it increasingly similar to breaks and dnb. Like Daddek said the originators opened doors, it'd be a shame to disgard those innovations in order to become popular.

Tubby's Tigerstyle is finally out on TP, with a full release within a few weeks. Smashes the shit out of anyone saying dubsteps better than grime or vice versa. Serious tune.

Any word on whether Loefahs remix of Nasty Krew will ever see vinyl?

elgato

I just dont know
I do agree about the impact on the music, and it is a worry. But these things aren’t universal, by any means, so I think its worth steering clear of too easily associating pills with vacuous party music. If anything I would probably link that to cuff more than any other drug, which also worries me given what I hear.

But I know that when I’m buzzing I still infinitely prefer a deeper tune to an empty banger, perhaps even more so than usual… I usually find myself desirous of more immersive or emotive sounds rather than energetic, and I think that might apply to a surprising number of people. But unfortunately not so much the people who come from a dnb background (obviously a generalisation but I reckon its (borderline?) acceptable for the purposes of discussion), who seem to make up an increasing proportion of dubstep raves, especially outside of london. And if that is the case, it may start going in the direction of lowest common denominator, as you say cyst. But in some senses I welcome the influence of E on dubstep, I think it could do with some of the escapist euphoria and brightness to bring contrast to the tone of the majority of material knocking about.

--------------

Agreed about tigerstyle, ive been waiting for that tune for ages, so incredibly good, cant wait to get my paws on it

viktorvaughn

I have been to night sober, drunk and on other afore-mentioned substances and they have all been great!

Like elgato stated the rushy e sound is not necesserily a bad thing in moderation, it might bring a healthy shift towards more a more dancy upbeat vibe (or perhaps we are midway through this shift already?). IT really will be fascinating to see where dubstep is in three years won't it!?

P

Parson

dnb and trance are the two primary genres where you'll find people into "deep" tunes who are looking to get lost in the music

really not liking the stereotype

ASC and Blame are just as dnb as Noisia and Evol Intent

Status
Not open for further replies.