DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yer that probably doubles my respect for the man instantly. Would incidentally love to hear some Billy Mackenzie-esque vox on top of some brutalist dubstep...

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Surely he just meant snares like the early 2step dubstep producer Ghost used with large amounts of compression used to give a maximal attack, minimal decay which creates a sound like a "pop".

Ghost trax cru yeah - thats pretty much what I meant...quite a dry sound. Compression then resample the snare (I always find resampling adds that extra something).

elgato

I just dont know
LOL at the title of Skull Disco 006! quite jokes given the stylistic move. so good to see them keeping the fire burning after all, wouldve been rubbish to see them stop. does anyone know that Shackleton track?

the Appleblim track sounds awesome, really really very interesting

viktorvaughn

LOL at the title of Skull Disco 006! quite jokes given the stylistic move. so good to see them keeping the fire burning after all, wouldve been rubbish to see them stop. does anyone know that Shackleton track?

the Appleblim track sounds awesome, really really very interesting
I love the quirky approach of Skull Disco gang. Yeah those bits on Appleblims myspace sound deep for sure.

dHarry

Blackdown said:
aaah the trademark El-B woodblock sound... mmm, a happy place
gek-opel said:
Surely he just meant snares like the early 2step dubstep producer Ghost used with large amounts of compression used to give a maximal attack, minimal decay which creates a sound like a "pop".
Ghost trax cru yeah - thats pretty much what I meant...quite a dry sound. Compression then resample the snare (I always find resampling adds that extra something).

Hang on, are we talking about the woody side-stick (hitting the metal rim of the snare drum with the middle of the stick while holding the base of the stick on the snare-skin) that El-B used on e.g. Lyrical Tempo and revived verbatim by Burial (not to mention Al Green's I'm Glad You're Mine, MAssive Attack's Teardrop, Black Sabbath's Hand Of Doom etc.):
images

or a compressed snare hit?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I was talking specifically about hyper-compressed, hyper-discrete snare "pop", rather than the elongated woodblock hits used earlier by Burial...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Hang on, are we talking about the woody side-stick (hitting the metal rim of the snare drum with the middle of the stick while holding the base of the stick on the snare-skin) that El-B used on e.g. Lyrical Tempo and revived verbatim by Burial (not to mention Al Green's I'm Glad You're Mine, MAssive Attack's Teardrop, Black Sabbath's Hand Of Doom etc.):
images

or a compressed snare hit?

i always thought it was a woodblock. and compressed or not compressed is kinda immaterial, it doesnt affect the tonal qualities of the hit, only the impact.

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
images

isn't that called a rimshot?
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.