DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
isn't that called a rimshot?
:)

Sidesticking is a technique used by Reggae drummers.The drummer rests his hand on the head of the snare drums skin to prevent the snare resonating,then taps on the snares rim with the drumstick.The drumstick is held 'the wrong way round' to accent the 'click'.A rimshot is made when the rim of the snare and the skin are hit simultaneously without damping the snare.

childrentalking

it's not dubby no. it's more the floating, decaying chords that are BC-ish... Basic Channel via Detroit. like you say, it's very lush, and that's not something I associate with minimal (although the definition of it is so nebulous, and if you include DJ Koze, yours is somewhat more catholic than mine...)

anyway, knit picking. yes, it sounds like a techno record. but I'll take techno worship over Coki worship any day of the week.

dHarry

i always thought it was a woodblock. and compressed or not compressed is kinda immaterial, it doesnt affect the tonal qualities of the hit, only the impact.
A woodblock is a similar-ish sounding but lighter 'tock' sound,(all over the Rapture, an interlude in LCD SS's Daft Punk..., an old-school funk break the Chemical Brothers used on their debut - Birdies Down Beats?) usually used as percussion, not as a main snare sound.

The side-stick snare is the El-B Lyrical Tempo snare, Burial, Al Green's I'm Glad You're Mine (sampled by Massive Attack on Five Man Army, all over Missy Elliot's Sup Dupa Fly), most reggae, etc.

And as noted by Tyro, a rimshot is a snare hit where the stick clangs off the snare's metal rim simultaneously (The Meters, can't think of examples off the top of my head).

Gek-opel mentioned compression it in relation to the Ghost snare sound; I wasn't sure if he was referring to a side-stick or a snare hit.

- sorry for the transmission interruption! :)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
After some experimentation, it basically doesn't matter- with heavy (unsubtle) enough compression the snare hit becomes massively "attack" driven, without much decay, leaving the sound to "pop", denaturing it of much of its timbral qualities...

I'll take techno worship over Coki worship any day of the week.

Amen to that...

C

cyst

All this talk of rimshots, wood blocks or side sticks is fucking long. Even If burial had hit a milk bottle with a spoon and and reversed the sound it wouldn't change the appeal of the track, its the tune that counts, not its constituent parts.

For the record, if you compress something subtly or not it does not give it an attack, if you have a long attack setting on your compressors envelope it gives it a long attack. How boring was that :)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
For the record, if you compress something subtly or not it does not give it an attack, if you have a long attack setting on your compressors envelope it gives it a long attack. How boring was that :)

Really boring, but not quite right ;) The attack setting on a compressor determines how long the signal has to go over the threshold level before compression kicks in. This will tend to preserve initial peaks on drum hits. You can also use a very short attack on a compressor to emphasise the start of a drum hit in relation to the rest of the sound.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
You can also use a very short attack on a compressor to emphasise the start of a drum hit in relation to the rest of the sound.

but a short attack would kick the compressor in almost as soon as the hit started - thus bringing down the level of the start of the hit and bringing it into line with the tail, no?

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Sidesticking is a technique used by Reggae drummers.The drummer rests his hand on the head of the snare drums skin to prevent the snare resonating,then taps on the snares rim with the drumstick.The drumstick is held 'the wrong way round' to accent the 'click'.A rimshot is made when the rim of the snare and the skin are hit simultaneously without damping the snare.

thank you for the clarification.

borderpolice

More precisely, compressing always reduces the attack, because compression reduces the height of attacks while leaving the time it takes to get to the peak unchanged, i.e. compression squeezes the y-axis (volume) but leaves the x-axis (time) unchanged. in other words, compression decreases the speed with which a dynamic peak is reached.

to increase attack, you can use gating.

What compression allows the musician to do is to increase the overall energy level of an acoustic signal. This is why one may think that compression increases attack: a drum hit tails off less rapidly because of the reduction in dynamics compression facilitates.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
deep medi oo4
punch drunk oo2
9's 'find my way'
burial jamie woon refix
dub assembly 001
dmz 11
skull disco oo6

007 is starting out way better than i expected

nomos

Administrator
yup it's on it's way. villalobos remix of 'blood on my hands' if i'm not mistaken.

i'm excited about this. the time i think heard a bit of it in a mix i didn't quite go for it, but i've really come around to the minimal thing since then and i've heard some villalobos stuff that i quite like.

Status
Not open for further replies.