Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Pretty intoxicated by this point - I still don’t quite buy the Bogart/Bergman romance, think the Paris flashback is rather flimsy, but damn do I love this film. The whole world of screenwriting involves a breaching of one’s own general suspension of disbelief, a very systematic coming-to-terms with the fact that many of cinema’s leading stories were orchestrated to have a certain affective impact on viewers - that stories can be told even after acknowledging that this disbelief can be suspended, and that pathos can overcome this suspension nonetheless. Casablanca is a great example of this for me - on a rational level, I totally don’t buy it, but on a level of pathos direction, it still works quite well. Our pathos is being directed via an erected system of goal posts and backboards, and it results in a quite marvelous feat of human craftsmanship and emphatic conveyance.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. Excellent film, and one of the best war films I've seen, on par with any of David Lean's epic and romantic ones (Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago - all of which I admire).

I actually suspect Colonel Blimp was a major influence on the Grand Budapest Hotel, one of my favorite films. At least, Roger Livesey's titular character seemed to be an influence on Ralph Fiennes' Monsieur Gustave.

Roger Livesey - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) greenhouse.jpg

67ec33888d32cfa61e90bbb2e0b7d3bf.jpg

rubberdingyrapids

how to have sex. one of the best british films of recent times. better than after sun. better than joanna hogs recent biographical bore fests about being at film school (how did these get funded?). better than old powell and pressberger. also one of the best performances by any actress so far this decade. somehow steers clear of arthouse cliche (no dead space or longeurs) or trying to milk any kind of gratuitous sad vibes, which i was very thankful for. i saw it at shithole cineworld in a screen which lacked bass response which made it a bit weird but it didnt ruin it for me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
how to have sex. one of the best british films of recent times. better than after sun. better than joanna hogs recent biographical bore fests about being at film school (how did these get funded?). better than old powell and pressberger. also one of the best performances by any actress so far this decade. somehow steers clear of arthouse cliche (no dead space or longeurs) or trying to milk any kind of gratuitous sad vibes, which i was very thankful for. i saw it at shithole cineworld in a screen which lacked bass response which made it a bit weird but it didnt ruin it for me.
What is it? I've not heard of it, I guess I could look it up but I'd rather hear from dissensus.

rubberdingyrapids

Synopsis. Three British teenage girls go on a rites-of-passage holiday, drinking, clubbing and hooking up in what should be the best summer of their lives. As they dance their way across the sun-drenched streets of Malia, they find themselves navigating the complexities of sex, consent and self-discovery.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It reminds me of going on a stag do one time. It was a wholesome one where the stag had a mate who worked for this kinda outdoor place in East London and so we all got in canoes and went down the canal. There was this one guy - I don't even know who he was in fact and I knew everyone else pretty well - who said "oh and then I bet we'll get dragged to a strip club cos there are so many round here" and through the whole day he kept going on about how much he hated strip clubs and the way that stag do's so often ended up in one.

And after canoeing finally finished he said "oh I suppose now someone is gonna suggest a strip club" and he dropped more and more hints until finally he realised we weren't going to a strip club and he stormed off in a mood. Then we all went to a strip club... no I'm joking but I bet he did.

haji

lala
I still maintain Claude Rains is the best part of this, as much as I love Bogart and Lorre.
I watched the Maltese Falcon with Bogart and Lorre the other day - a bit cheesier than the Big Sleep and Casablanca, and with a less smouldering female lead, but still definitely unreservedly recommendable

Lorre as a camp stereotypical furner is uninspiring but Sydney Greenstreet is epicly weird

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I watched the Maltese Falcon with Bogart and Lorre the other day - a bit cheesier than the Big Sleep and Casablanca, and with a less smouldering female lead, but still definitely unreservedly recommendable

Lorre as a camp stereotypical furner is uninspiring but Sydney Greenstreet is epicly weird
It’s been a while since I’ve seen that, but I’ve been wanting to rewatch it.

luka

key largo was going to be my next one. i remember treasure of sierra madre was pretty boring. im fairly confident all marilyn monroe films will be terrible.

rubberdingyrapids

Some like it hot is good. billy wilder films are more interesting than howard hawks ones. Though much as i like sunset blvd, gloria Swanson is a bit hammy.