IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched the Maltese Falcon with Bogart and Lorre the other day - a bit cheesier than the Big Sleep and Casablanca, and with a less smouldering female lead, but still definitely unreservedly recommendable

Lorre as a camp stereotypical furner is uninspiring but Sydney Greenstreet is epicly weird

These films are just great and I think they will always stand up and a lot of people will enjoy them. The Big Sleep is definitely darker and grittier, it has a real atmosphere of menaces even if it's acknowledged that it literally doesn't make sense. I suppose the mental health angle is just a dark topic.

But you know what, I've never seen the original of The Maltese Falcon, it's been totally superseded by the Bogey one of course, but I understand that because it was made before the Hayes Code came in (strange to say that, you often hear it had more freedom cos it was after the HC was removed) it's actually a bit tougher and harder. Has anyone seen it? @DLaurent maybe?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
key largo was going to be my next one. i remember treasure of sierra madre was pretty boring. im fairly confident all marilyn monroe films will be terrible.
Yeah Monroe isn't someone I'v ever been particularly impressed by, beyond her sheer sex appeal.

I love Some Like it Hot, though, one of my favorite comedies.

For classic Hollywood comedies I'd recommend My Man Godfrey, Ball of Fire, and His Girl Friday.

DLaurent

These films are just great and I think they will always stand up and a lot of people will enjoy them. The Big Sleep is definitely darker and grittier, it has a real atmosphere of menaces even if it's acknowledged that it literally doesn't make sense. I suppose the mental health angle is just a dark topic.

But you know what, I've never seen the original of The Maltese Falcon, it's been totally superseded by the Bogey one of course, but I understand that because it was made before the Hayes Code came in (strange to say that, you often hear it had more freedom cos it was after the HC was removed) it's actually a bit tougher and harder. Has anyone seen it? @DLaurent maybe?

I haven't seen it and to be honest, even though it pains me to admit it, not seen the Bogart The Maltese Falcon for a while either... I watch 99% of films on YouTube or Archive.org and if it's not free on there I don't bother.

haji

lala
I haven't seen it and to be honest, even though it pains me to admit it, not seen the Bogart The Maltese Falcon for a while either... I watch 99% of films on YouTube or Archive.org and if it's not free on there I don't bother.
i searched up the bogart version and found this skethchy site https://ww1.m4uhd.tv/search/maltese-falcon.html whcich seems to has both and was ok quality at least on the one i watched :cool:

mixed_biscuits

The original Perry Mason's pretty good. I remember one episode with an escaped undercover Nazi scientist. Also, Raymond Burr, the actor who played Mason, allegedly fabricated huge chunks of his biography and claimed to have had wives and children there's no evidence of ever having existed.
This seems to be an especially American thing: no matter how successful they are they always seem compelled to puff up various things about their past to meet some sort of imagined standard. Even the Presidents do it. Is it cos, given high social mobility, failure to have achieved is automatically connected to personal deficiencies rather than contextual obstacles.

rubberdingyrapids

how to have sex. one of the best british films of recent times. better than after sun. better than joanna hogs recent biographical bore fests about being at film school (how did these get funded?). better than old powell and pressberger. also one of the best performances by any actress so far this decade. somehow steers clear of arthouse cliche (no dead space or longeurs) or trying to milk any kind of gratuitous sad vibes, which i was very thankful for. i saw it at shithole cineworld in a screen which lacked bass response which made it a bit weird but it didnt ruin it for me.
Actually one thing it does do which is pretty common these days is portray girls lives as being one of unhappiness, or at least sexual experiences, as being like that. I guess it often IS, and to its credit, it doesnt overplay it, but its fairly on trend in that sense

shakahislop

Actually one thing it does do which is pretty common these days is portray girls lives as being one of unhappiness, or at least sexual experiences, as being like that. I guess it often IS, and to its credit, it doesnt overplay it, but its fairly on trend in that sense
haven't seen the film but this is a bubbling trend in a lot of things at the moment I think. a kind of critique of how sex is working these days. a sort of millennial backlash against their own experiences. really interesting cultural current I think.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I watched this last night on BFI player, first proper film i've watched for a long time.

I'm vaguely aware of Antonioni but never seen anything by him, the reviews suggested this was much more accessible than his later films and indeed it is. But it's really fucking good, too.

Tightly plotted, brilliantly directed, peppered with moments of authentic existential despair (with a bleak bleak ending), starring one of the most beautiful actresses I've ever seen wearing (and I'm not the sort to notice this) some INCREDIBLE dresses.

Not sure how @craner will feel about this one. It's Italian for sure but it has a sort of intellectual, frenchified feel to it that might make his fulsome aristocratic lip curl

version

He likes that one. He told me to watch that instead when I was going on about The Passenger.