crackerjack

Big Trouble in Little China

Being a child of the 90s I missed out on a lot B-movie schlock but I watched BTLC the other day and honestly thought it was one of the best movies ever made. I haven't laughed like that for a while. It treads the fine line between irony and earnestness with comic book dialogue and cheapo effects. I highly recommend it!

interesting. someone was telling me the exact same thing the other day. you're not called martin and wearing a twattish grin cos of the Rangers result by any chance?

The thread strays into increasingly suspect territory...

You should all watch more french gauloise movies. Get down to your local Picturehouse and sit through something middlebrow and european about a university professor having an affair with one of his students.

Dial 747-Creepozoid. Here's a present for you UFO.

gh2.jpg

UFO over easy

online mahjong
brilliant!!

I didn't realise he was so successful..

that film was seriously amazing. everyone except one guy is dead for the last twenty minutes, and the majority of that time is taken up with that one guy fighting that demon baby - five minutes of silence and walking around, a brief baby fight, throw the baby away into the shadows, lather rinse repeat 10 times until the baby dies... final scene.. baby OPENS EYES! it's like they made the film and realised it only lasted 45 minutes. desperate measures.

oh and LOL - beverely hills corpse!!!!!! I have to find that.

Last edited:
It's been a good while, but i seem to remember a lot of Linnea Quigley holding crappy animatronic puppets at arm's length and screaming. And a uh, shower scene. Shower scenes seem to have fallen out of fashion since their late 80s peak, but they always give a film a little zing. Just ask Ingmar Bergman.

The mutant baby scene was "an homage" to Rick Bakers' sterling "doll on a string" F/X work on the first "It's Alive!"

No shit....:D

straight

wings cru
Big Trouble in Little China

Being a child of the 90s I missed out on a lot B-movie schlock but I watched BTLC the other day and honestly thought it was one of the best movies ever made. I haven't laughed like that for a while. It treads the fine line between irony and earnestness with comic book dialogue and cheapo effects. I highly recommend it!

go and see iron man on the biggest loudest screen you can, you will not be dissapointed

UFO over easy

online mahjong
And a uh, shower scene. Shower scenes seem to have fallen out of fashion since their late 80s peak, but they always give a film a little zing. Just ask Ingmar Bergman.

haha.. yes. some phenomenally unsexy dialogue beforehand as well - along the lines of "you think you can handle it?" "oh, I can handle it" "no, but can you really handle it?" "it's a lot to handle, but I can handle it" *quigley reveals breasts and looks bored*

synthesized slap bass soundtrack is a big look as well

there's a huge amount of trailers on the dvd as well for similar titles, watching those I feel I can really get a handle on where Garth Marenghi's Darkplace comes from. definitely starts to feel rather seedy after a time though, especially when you get to the more modern voyeuristic low budget slasher things

Last edited:

Pestario

tell your friends
interesting. someone was telling me the exact same thing the other day. you're not called martin and wearing a twattish grin cos of the Rangers result by any chance?

Hehe, no. It was on Film4 recently so maybe it sparked simultaneous UK-wide discussion by 20 something nerds.

straight said:
go and see iron man on the biggest loudest screen you can, you will not be dissapointed

Oh I plan to :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw a very good (and fairly strange) film yesterday called The Committee. It was made in the sixties, filmed in black and white with a strong Antonioni influence and starring the bloke out of Manfred Mann. The first scene has him as a hitch-hiker picked up by this annoying guy who keeps banging on about boring stuff until he becomes concerned when his car starts making funny noises. He stops the car and looks under the bonnet, all the time continuing a boring monologue until eventually the hitcher snaps and slams the bonnet on the bloke's neck, cutting off his head. Paul Jones ponces around carrying the head for a bit and then repents and sews it back on to the guy's neck, slaps him around a bit until he wakes up and then sends him on his way. After that he gets drawn into this kind of Kafkaesque world of bureaucracy when he is summoned to take part in a committee. There are several nice surreal touches (including when Arthur Brown turns up and performs Nightmare for no reason whatsoever and a scene where someone spends ages telling this man how he looks exactly like his wife) and some interesting debates with excellent background music - apparently done by Pink Floyd but one bit sounds like a sixties precursor to Assualt On Precinct 13 (kinda) and the short bit of music at the start reminds me of some of the Morricone moog freakouts (kinda).
Fascinating film anyway and the dvd I watched came with very good interviews with the director and the guy who wrote the short story on which the film was based. The only problem for me was that the interviews were a bit too good and explained the film too well and took some of the mystery out of it. Oh yeah, the film is very short and I wished it was longer but there you go. Some info here courtesy of google.

http://www.thecommitteethemovie.com/reviews.htm

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
:D No, haven't seen it. Been staying in mostly, going for country walks, slaving away at a novel (write the one you've always wanted to read, someone once said, so I am...;)). I think I'll watch it on DVD now. No pressure! I'll let you know what I think of The Committee, though. Not a great Floyd fan but very interested in the question of individual identity, social control etc.

Unreservedly recommend Godard's Two Or Three Things I Know About Her, which I watched again recently.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Not a great Floyd fan but very interested in the question of individual identity, social control etc."
Me neither but I wouldn't have guessed it was them so don't let it put you off.

crackerjack

Gone Baby Gone.

This is the Ben Affleck flick whose release over here was delayed cos of the Maddie parallels. Written by Dennis Lehane and has elements of Mystic River, as well as Richard Price's Freedomland. Starts brilliantly, then got a bit twisty for my liking, but redeemed itself in the last couple of scenes. Great acting (Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman (with some vicious bloodspots under his eyes), Affleck's brother Casey).

Best of all is Amy Ryan as the feckless cokehead mother. Who knew the cute cop from the docks in The Wire season 2 could swear like that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched They Call Her One-Eye at the weekend. Not sure that I can say I recommend it without reservations - because it really is a sordid and nasty film - but I liked it. I think that when it was finally passed by the censors for the first time (according to some versions of events it was the first film ever banned in Sweden) there were twenty minutes cut out of it and really I'm not surprised. Apparently the scene that gives the film its title was made using the eye and face of an actual dead body for extra realism and the sex scenes are by far the most explicit I've ever seen and they are very grim indeed. The whole story in general is nasty and sometimes deliberately and probably unnecesarily so but it's also stylish and well told and has loads of good scenes, moments of greatly atmospheric music and good action set in very bleak but beautiful landscapes - and yet more depressing Swedish rooms.
The story itself is a kind of rape-revenge type thing where the main character, mute due to the trauma of being raped as a child is captured by a pimp, forcibly addicted to heroin and then kept as a sex slave. Then she is forced to write letters to her parents telling them how much she hates them which leads to their suicide. This is the final straw and she learns karate, shooting and (strangely) rally driving in a quest for revenge. Tarantino was a big fan I guess and I think that's why the one character in Kill Bil has an eye-patch and it's also influential on the structure of Kill Bill.

tox

Factory Girl
Persepolis was quality. Found very little to fault along the way. Mesmerising visuals, great story, visuals and humour. Highly recommended.

Happy-Go-Lucky is done a great disservice by its shocking trailers. A lovely panacea to the relentless negativity of UK life, and no Lily Allen in sight!

Didn't enjoy Iron Man. I'd be interested to see what people thought it did well as I found not a single redeeming feature in it (except Gwyneth Paltrow, and I don't mean her acting). Even the action scenes were weak. A particularly poor example of a superhero film. I fully expect Batman to kick its arse later in the summer.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Les Espions by Henri-Georges Clouzot, very weird noir about a doctor who accepts money to house a prisoner in his psychiatric institute for a few days, no questions asked. It all gets very weird, very interior, and ends up as a rumination on madness. Quite a few things ideas that Burroughs seems to have nicked from, disturbing film.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ikiru (Directed by Kurosawa)

The one about the civil servant who is diagnosed with cancer and changes his attitude towards life in his final year.

Great stuff, although the funeral sequence does drag a little the first hour or so is consistently fantastic and the two scenes in which Watanabe sings 'Life is Brief' are very moving.

Probably the best film I've seen since Wild Strawberries, which had a similar theme but was a lot less light hearted.

I'd also recommend Almost Famous for slightly syrupy feelgood fun... and Ratatouille which I saw quite a while ago but I really should watch again to help me get over my latest post-binge comedown hell.