muser

Tideland, was suprised I hadn't heard of this before I watched it because its fairly recent and a Terry Gilliam film who i'm a fan of. Its a really well thought out look/portrayal into how a childs imagination works put onto a back drop of some very disturbing surroundings, really beautifully acted/filmed/constructed, absolutely loved it, some bits are very hard to watch though..

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Les Espions by Henri-Georges Clouzot"
Wow, that sounds good, straight to the top of the want-to-see list.

I've been ill these last few days and I watched a load of films while convalescing. Probably the pick of the bunch were: The Fall of The House of Usher, a silent and suitably gothic adaptation from the twenties by Jean Epstein, also Assault on Precinct 13 which you've all seen anyway and the adaptation of The Saragossa Manuscript which has just been released on dvd - inevitably it cut a lot out of the book but the first half was very faithful at least in capturing the spirit.
In one of the other film threads there was debate of films which are really nothing more than an mtv video and I was reminded of that when I watched Paranoid Park.

tox

Factory Girl
Caught the full three hour version of Grindhouse last night. I'd already seen the two on divx as separate entities, but the cinema experience gave another dimension to the films. Originally I thought Planet Terror was the better of the two movies, but the big screen really brought out the detail in Death Proof and the cinema setting was much more appropriate for a film with such a relaxed pace.

The fake trailers and adverts are also pretty amusing and the whole experience of sitting in a packed theatre for three hours watching these gruesome flicks was pretty immersive, to the extent that the end raised a round-of-applause.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Don-Rickles-Mad-Max.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just watched Battle Royal (again). First time around I must have missed the final scene with the teacher and the three surviving kids - thought that formed a nice (probably not quite the right word there!) epilogue to an hour and a half of frenzied slaughter. I also really like the way their interactions in this insane life-and-death - well, mostly death - situation are totally dominated by their hysterical teenage crushes.

elgato

I just dont know
no joke man, its obvious, but that film is killer. even though it gets so much hype i wasn't ready. we got an amazing Hitchcock dvd boxset which has been providing much entertainment

James Stewart is such a g

IdleRich

IdleRich
"speaking of which, has anyone seen Harvey? that is a film i would unreservedly recommend for sure"
I went to see my friend in a village hall kind of production of that - the guy did a pretty good Jimmy Stewart I thought.

Townley

I'd like to unreservedly recommend the film Heartbeat Detector which I saw the other night and thought was great.

It's hard work to watch - it's long, you have to figure out a lot of stuff for yourself, and it's very bleak - but I really liked it and it has made me think.

It stars the guy from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly as a company psychologist for a French-based German chemical firm who's tasked to secretly assess the mental health of the company's MD. To get access to the boss without causing suspicion he uses the cover of researching a string quartet which the boss used to play in alongside some other employees: the company has recently gone through a huge restructuring process that involved massive layoffs and part of the guy's duties as company psychologist is to devise team-building and morale-boosting activities - so he wants to see if the string quartet could be revived, although he eventually ends up organising a corporate 'rave' event instead.

As he pursues his investigation he discovers that the characters he meets are in various ways exploring their parents' Nazi pasts. It's comparable to that Michael Haneke film, Hidden, in that it addresses atrocities a generation hence, as past events echo through the generations, with their effects overlooked or concealed.

It makes explicit parallels between the mentality that produced Nazi crimes and the characters' modern world view and corporate mentality, for example, at one point a character coldly refers to sacked people as 'units'; and this connection is developed in different directions as the film progresses. At first I wondered if the comparison seemed a bit inappropriate: the Nazi atrocities can seem incomprehensibly inhuman and as such, beyond comparison. But it was precisely this disconnect that the characters were struggling with: how could their own fathers have committed such acts? It's only by seeing their parents' actions as the extreme end of a continuum of inhuman behaviour that they could understand it, and the film uses that insight to construct a polemic against the ways this inhuman behaviour permeates our lives in sometimes subtle and overlooked ways.

Anyone else seen this?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wow, that sounds good, straight to the top of the want-to-see list.

I wish I was still smoking so I could have been stoned when watching it, it's deeply, deeply paranoid, let me know what you think. He was Hitchcock's rival and it really shows, apparently Hitchcock and him battled for the rights to Les Diaboliques and Hitch was just pipped by a few hours. He's becoming my favourite director, for now.

I really, really liked 'Deathproof' and I don't like Tarantino really, but I thought Deathproof was the film he always wanted to make, it's so lovingly done, and I love the fact he wrote the film for the stuntwoman. Plus it makes unwanted appearances in my memory if I'm in hairy situations in cars, thanks a bunch Quentin.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just watched Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai. Really enjoyed it for the most part - a nice, understated and occasionally funny mob/hood film that managed (generally) to steer clear of cliché with respect to the overall 'samurai' theme. Apart from possibly a few moments here and there that actually added to the humour, rather than detracted from the mainly serious tone, I thought.

On a side note: I'm an almost total ignoramus as regards hip-hop, but I loved the soundtrack, which I gather was mostly by RZA, who played a cameo role in the film. Is the s/t available somewhere, or is there anything in the same vein by RZA or Wu-Tang more generally I should check out? Cheers in advance everyone.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A good weekend for films for me. Saw The Day The Earth Caught Fire which really was good - a very taut study of the end of the world (which has been slightly implausibly blown out of its orbit by nuclear testing) seen developing by the journalists of the Daily Express (but no Desmond in sight). All the stuff like weird weather patterns and water rationing seemed a little bit too close to home for comfort. Anyway, highly recommended and the ending was ace as well.
Also watched So Long At The Fair - a brother and sister stay in a Parisian hotel during the fair of 1889 - when the sister wakes up she discovers that the room were her brother was staying has disappeared and so has he - and all the staff deny that he was ever there.
Then I watched Spirits of The Dead (may not be the original title) which is a three part adaptation of some Edgar Allen Poe stories, one part is directed by Roger Vadim and has Jane and Peter Fonda, one part is directed by Louis Malle and has Alain Delon and Brigitte Bardot and the final (and best?) is directed by Fellini and stars Terence Stamp. This last one is very surreal and looks gorgeous.

crackerjack

Just watched Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai. Really enjoyed it for the most part - a nice, understated and occasionally funny mob/hood film that managed (generally) to steer clear of cliché with respect to the overall 'samurai' theme. Apart from possibly a few moments here and there that actually added to the humour, rather than detracted from the mainly serious tone, I thought.

On a side note: I'm an almost total ignoramus as regards hip-hop, but I loved the soundtrack, which I gather was mostly by RZA, who played a cameo role in the film. Is the s/t available somewhere, or is there anything in the same vein by RZA or Wu-Tang more generally I should check out? Cheers in advance everyone.

Ghost Dog is the bollocks, every last inch of it. Can't work out why Jarmusch fans seem to have a problem with it.

The soundtrack came out at the time so must be available 2nd hand on www. somewhere. Don't recall RZA doing any other instrumental albums.

Btw, there are US and Japanese versions of this - the latter is the mainly instrumental one.

Last edited:

luka

nah, rzas done a few things for film, plus he done that afrosamurai not that ive seen it though