The New World

Simon silverdollarcircle

This makes me sad. Midwestern fields have the kind of beauty that just saturates you, fills you up so contented.
I wasn't being entirely serious but perhaps that's part of this issue. I think in britain people tend not to have that contented sense of beauty. There's always a but.

And often that but is expressed in self deprecation or sarcasm, or sometimes in a wilful embrace of ugliness.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's the one that made his reputation and had a-listers queuing up to in his increasingly disappointing follow ups.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Badlands could fit in with the Easy Rider, Raging Bull crowd, albeit more ethereal, no? Good heart, rough skin, against the world.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Especially Thin Red Line which was his first for a hundred years... in that film every single extra or cameo is super famous, the interest fell off bit by bit as his films became less rare and less good.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Delicates a good word for it. I do get the sense that Martin Sheens character is, in a way, just a little boy who has gone this far without adjusting, however noble or pathetic that may seem.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Malick is actually on screen for a sec, he stepped in to be a door to door salesman cos the actor dropped out. He planned to re-film it but Sheen refused so as to trap him on screen.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Forgot about Thin Red Line. I think we can mark that as the point in his filmography where plot began dissolving, no? For better or worse. Knight of Cups got blasted for lack of discernible plot, and the same could be charged for Song to Song, To the Wonder, and Tree of Life, it seems.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Forgot about Thin Red Line. I think we can mark that as the point in his filmography where plot began dissolving, no? For better or worse. Knight of Cups got blasted for lack of discernible plot, and the same could be charged for Song to Song, To the Wonder, and Tree of Life, it seems.
Definitely a kind of fulcrum in his career.