Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ballard is a good example of that, isn't he? He looked at the world around him and extrapolated paranoiacally from it (although this was complicated by him relishing the possibilities in these apparently terrible things happening).

luka

The general attitude on dissensus and in the radio 4 listening guardian reading population at large is that all events are random and meaningless and any pattern detected is either coincidental or is imposed by the observer.

It involves a complete rejection of any search for meaning or purpose. In that sense it's of a piece with scientific atheism, ie, the modern enlightened viewpoint.

It's incurious and breeds complacency even if it's correct. The paranoiac says if the world is this way there are probably people who want it this way and are invested in keeping it this way.

john eden

male pale and stale
The problem is not that paranoics see more patterns than other people. Seeing patterns is great. Imagination and poetry is great.

The problem is that paranoics are infamous for their inability to reason or develop an analysis.

There is a reason that the Qanon stuff in the UK is a lash up between crystal healers and EDL types.

luka

The problem is not that paranoics see more patterns than other people. Seeing patterns is great. Imagination and poetry is great.

The problem is that paranoics are infamous for their inability to reason or develop an analysis.

There is a reason that the Qanon stuff in the UK is a lash up between crystal healers and EDL types.

Yeah we know that's what biscuits was saying

john eden

male pale and stale
I was refuting "the general attitude on Dissensus" bit above, but OK that's cool if me and biscuits are on the same page.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I think the trick involves thinking/navigating beyond rationality without disavowing rationality. Understanding that a rational, consistent framework has benefits but also limits. Rather than just exiting rationality to set up camp somewhere in the woods where you are free to voice whatever half-baked and pathetic theories you want.

That said, perhaps certain useful lessons can be learned from things that would otherwise be disregarded as half-baked and pathetic.

luka

I think the trick involves thinking/navigating beyond rationality without disavowing rationality. Understanding that a rational, consistent framework has benefits but also limits. Rather than just exiting rationality to set up camp somewhere in the woods where you are free to voice whatever half-baked and pathetic theories you want.

That said, perhaps certain useful lessons can be learned from things that would otherwise be disregarded as half-baked and pathetic.

I think it's going out as far as possible and then running the material through some kind of rational faculty later on. Similar to the need to send the material to the heart to see if the feeling faculties have any objections

luka

but as you say it's actually all useful in some way or other, the rational mind itself doesnt create it only judges material you bring to it according to its own criteria

luka

Yeah exactly we cant all be scared of shadows and I've been playing this game for a long time. If I don't operate this way I will die anyway. Im completely dependent on it. it's the only thing that makes life meaningful and joyful (for me).