with todays vaccine news there's a lot of very boring smug classist craic on social media laughing at anti-vax 'karens', a kind of victim-blaming in a way

luka

the sheer level of human incompetence and inefficiency in any large-scale operation also works against lots of conspiracy theories. the larger the scale and the more organizations involved, real life tells you it's less likely it will be to pull off what's required.

Large scale operations are notable for how competent they are. They're brilliant at logistics .

luka

If you look at, like, walmarts distribution systems or whatever. Absolutely astonishing. Not remotely incompetent.

luka

that's certainly not true. the more technical the topic, the more difficult it is for a non-expert to arrive at an informed opinion, but most things are pretty easily the grasp of anyone who wants to put in the time and effort. the better documented something is - which generally coincides with how popular conspiracy theorizing about it is - the easier it is to track down to track down original claims. the difference is in learning about something to try to arrive at an informed opinion, or at least trying to be aware of your preconceptions about it, and to put it in your words, looking for information to bolster a position.
it's true.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
with todays vaccine news there's a lot of very boring smug classist craic on social media laughing at anti-vax 'karens', a kind of victim-blaming in a way
What are they victims of, though? Besides a delusion?

I can't see that it's "classist", either. Rates of vaccine skepticism, in the USA at least, correlate positively with education level. The stereotypical "Karen" is solidly middle-class.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Large scale operations are notable for how competent they are. They're brilliant at logistics .
Like the UK's "world-beating" test, track and trace system, that's cost 12 billion quid and has been almost a complete failure?

luka

Like the UK's "world-beating" test, track and trace system, that's cost 12 billion quid and has been almost a complete failure?

Ok tea you're right that means every large organisation is incapable of delivering results and is inherently incompetent

luka

It's not at all a feature of having free money shovelled at you by the government and being invited to piss it up the wall

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
As an aside, re. JFK the only thing I've ever read on it is a little book by Robin Ramsey, who is a JFK expert, and actually has read all the literature. He thinks LBJ dunnit and identifies the shooter etc. His hypothesis fits perfectly with the idea you describe - it's the inverse in fact. He points to a very small number of people around LBJ as being responsible, a classic small style conspiracy.
I'd have to actually read it, but as a person who knows a fair bit about the ppl around JFK and LBJ - who, let's be clear, were the same ppl (there was a gradual exodus of Kennedy loyalists and as time went on, Vietnam doubters, but the key ppl all remained until at least 66 or 67) - I would be curious to know who exactly he points to, and more importantly, how they achieved it. even with a small group of actual conspirators both getting it done and especially covering it up would be so difficult and require the collusion of so many people that it's difficult to believe better evidence of it would not have been produced by now. these are the same people that back the country into Vietnam in the most incompetent and self-delusional way possible. (also anyone who knows anything about LBJ will have a hard time believing that, even with his many flaws, he would have ordered the assassination of JFK - for one thing he didn't have those kinds of guts)

every JFK conspiracy theorist is an expert on the JFK assassination. Jim Garrison - protagonist of Oliver Stone's entertaining but extremely irresponsible movie - produced a tidal wave of information. So did Mark Lane, or any other major conspiracist figure that could be named. pretty much invariably their claims can be debunked but it takes an a great deal of time and effort to track them down and investigate them point by point. In the case of JFK, Vincent Bugliosi (and Gerald Posner before him) actually did just that.

this is as you say an aside but it's also indicative of the way conspiracist thinking becomes normalized

padraig (u.s.)

You've missed the point I was making
I did not. I understood it perfectly. I disagree with it wholeheartedly.

there is a difference between saying there is no received wisdom vs in the kingdom of no certainties all claims are equally meaningless.

luka

Large scale organisations put men on the fucking moon (allegedly!) People are amazing and brilliant when they want to be.

padraig (u.s.)

there's a difference in the kinds of competency large organizations do and don't achieve

the U.S. govt of the 60s was literally the best in the world at rapidly delivering huge numbers of men and material to a given location

it was extremely bad at maintaining secrecy about policy decisions, which it very much wanted to

being good at logistics is very different from being good at controlling information

luka

there's a difference in the kinds of competency large organizations do and don't achieve

the U.S. govt of the 60s was literally the best in the world at rapidly delivering huge numbers of men and material to a given location

it was extremely bad at maintaining secrecy about policy decisions, which it very much wanted to

being good at logistics is very different from being good at controlling information

This is something you can choose to believe but the nature of secrecy means it's not something you can know.

padraig (u.s.)

and yr style of conspiracy promotion is actively harmful

I'm sorry but it is what it is. you're actively part of the problem. a very small part, granted.

left-wing politics are as rife as anything with conspiracist nonsense, it doesn't need more of it

luka

Good I'm glad. I want it to be harmful. I really really want to do serious malicious damage 'bro'.

padraig (u.s.)

This is something you can choose to believe but the nature of secrecy means it's not something you can know.
no one ever ultimately "knows" anything. everything in life is something you choose to believe based on yr own critical faculties

no one can definitively prove the absence of something. handwaving secrecy is the same as religious ppl handwaving God.

there's plenty of information you or I or anyone can use to apply our critical faculties to making judgments

what you do with that information is your choice

[I edited out this last part bc what's the point, but I'll just generally say conspiracy thinking makes me sad rather than angry]