Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
It is....

I thought 'Hip Hop Is Dead' was the mooted name for Nas' Def Jam release, no? Mebbe that was a rumour.

Oh no idea what that beat is either Stelfox, sorry.

Yeah, it is....he's naming the album that in response to those idiots claiming that "hip hop is dead" as well. YouSendIt, Stelfox...I don't listen to F.A.B.'s mixtapes, but I bet you I know the beat he used. One.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Yeah, it is....he's naming the album that in response to those idiots claiming that "hip hop is dead" as well. YouSendIt, Stelfox...I don't listen to F.A.B.'s mixtapes, but I bet you I know the beat he used. One.

will ysi tonight. it's driving me fucking nuts because i actually own the original, i just can't remember for the life of me what it is!!!
it's reasonably well known, i think.
this ever happen to anyone else?
it's like having a person's name on the tip of your tongue but not being able to say it.
proof that i'm getting old and going dotty.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i have the same problem listening to lots of mixtapes. theres one beat on one of the clipses mixtapes that i think is by swizz beats but i cant remember which one itr is at all (i think its a lox track from their second album but not sure). my musical memory retention has gotten pretty bad in the last few years, i cant even remember track titles anymore.

hint

party record with a siren
I haven't heard the mixtape yet (only heard Ghost Ride It and Brush 'Em Off so far), but is it the same version of I Don't Know that appeared on his EP a while back?

CLIP HERE: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF217915-01-02-01.mp3

Where did you get the FAB mixtape from Stelfox? and the Backwudz album too... I really need to check that.

gumdrops

xxxxxxxxpost - i was wrong about the outkast album. after you get over the problem that its not a proper outkast album, its gets to be really good. its mostly an album of solo tracks from each member, but its hard to deny that theres some really good stuff on this. surprisingly, i thought they would be doing more 'arent we wacky' production but quite a lot of the beats remind me of atliens/aquemini. :)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I haven't heard the mixtape yet (only heard Ghost Ride It and Brush 'Em Off so far), but is it the same version of I Don't Know that appeared on his EP a while back?

Where did you get the FAB mixtape from Stelfox? and the Backwudz album too... I really need to check that.

with my snazzy new pc, i'm able to embrace torrents for the first time. there are tons around. i can also do ysi for the 1st time, so you can have them both from me if you want. i dunno re the EP as I can't see juno at work. will check it later. i already have 1 vinyl ep and it could even be on that!

some of the outkast album is good. i love idlewild blue, peaches and buggface but it really is pretty patchy on the whole. the film is an absolute shocker too, unfortunately. shame as i've been liking dre as an actor more than a musician lately (i would say rapper but he doesn't seem to want to be one any more).

Guybrush

Dittohead
"the undisputed truth" posted this link in the blissblogger-thread, but I think the song is worthy of a second mention here since it's really good.

PNC - Just Roll (Video)

It's an old skool (as in fun skool) sounding up-tempo hip hop tune from New Zealand-rapper PNC (his debut album is due later this month), the beat's swing is vaguely reminiscent of Strafe's Set It Off (a lazy reference - I know), in other words: it's brilliant!

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Arrrgghhh!!!!!

I have NEVER heard that beat before in my life...until now. I hope this rest of the mixtape was better than that one song because if that's a standout track I should stick to what I currently listen to. One.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
that is exactly the track and i know it from the EP.
what an idiot.
dart, it's is a fantastic beat. you need to see how this hyphy stuff works in clubs before you get all antsy about it. people really do love it and i actually think there's something great about people "going dumb".
it's fun music and there's not enough of that around these days.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yes and No...

that is exactly the track and i know it from the EP.
what an idiot.
dart, it's is a fantastic beat. you need to see how this hyphy stuff works in clubs before you get all antsy about it. people really do love it and i actually think there's something great about people "going dumb".
it's fun music and there's not enough of that around these days.

"Going Dumb" and "Getting Stupid/Retarded" makes perfect sense to me...I USED TO DO IT WHEN IT FIRST STARTED!!!! (1984-1989). The energy of the music is a breath of fresh air to me..."Tell Me When To Go" was a banger. "Vans" is crazy. "Super Hyphy" I like....THAT beat is ass..straight up. One.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Stelfox, think you could YouSendIt that F.A.B mixtape to me?

I'm assuming it's Recess with Dow Jones.
Either way I'd really appreciate it.

I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

Cheers.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Oh man

Hip Hop/rap album sales are in the toilet (Method Man, The Roots, OutKast, etc.) and here comes Lupe Fiasco, the Great Lyrical Hope...I pray he does well (given the heavy bootlegging that his project has gone through). His album is a damn classic already...besides if he moves around 200,000 that means that people will ACTUALLY STILL BUY QUALITY HIP HOP ALBUMS. I'm afraid that it will take for Nas and Jay Z's albums to drop before any hip hop artist moves any considerable units again...I bet Lupe opens at between 100,000-150,000 units....I hope he REALLY does 200,000-250,000....but I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT WILL HAPPEN. Go Lupe! One.

hint

party record with a siren
Yeah... would be great to see Lupe make some kind of impact sales-wise but, like you, I'm not confident that it will happen.

It's insane to think that the inital leak was back in April. Perhaps the best course of action would have been to push the album to retail back in May or whatever, and get to work on the follow-up straight away?

Instead they've gone down the route of throwing together extra tracks to add on, which perhaps sends out the wrong signals - "the original material wasn't good enough to sell on its own". Why bother? The extra tracks leak one at a time anyway and in the meantime the original tracks get older.

Something has to change, I think. Either labels, artists and studios realise that they are where the buck stops with leaks and do something about it, or they work out how to adapt their schedules to take advantage of leaks. Letting everyone live with the leaked album for nearly 6 months clearly hasn't helped Lupe and that's sad to see.

To end on a positive note, the cover art is FANTASTIC!

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yeah... would be great to see Lupe make some kind of impact sales-wise but, like you, I'm not confident that it will happen.

It's insane to think that the inital leak was back in April. Perhaps the best course of action would have been to push the album to retail back in May or whatever, and get to work on the follow-up straight away?

Instead they've gone down the route of throwing together extra tracks to add on, which perhaps sends out the wrong signals - "the original material wasn't good enough to sell on its own". Why bother? The extra tracks leak one at a time anyway and in the meantime the original tracks get older.

Something has to change, I think. Either labels, artists and studios realise that they are where the buck stops with leaks and do something about it, or they work out how to adapt their schedules to take advantage of leaks. Letting everyone live with the leaked album for nearly 6 months clearly hasn't helped Lupe and that's sad to see.

And the album is GREAT!

Poisonous Dart: I must say that I'm a little surprised that you, as an underground fan, are worried about mainstream hip hop albums not selling, don't you think something good can come out of that (e.g. less business people tampering with the songs, less pressure to produce hit-singles)?

petergunn

plywood violin
LupeFiascoFood%26Liquor.jpg

?????????????????????

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Naaah, man.

And the album is GREAT!

Poisonous Dart: I must say that I'm a little surprised that you, as an underground fan, are worried about mainstream hip hop albums not selling, don't you think something good can come out of that (e.g. less business people tampering with the songs, less pressure to produce hit-singles)?

I don't give a damn about the Young Dro or Rick Ross' of the world...I AM concerned that when QUALITY HIP HOP ARTISTS that happen to have major deals (such as The Clipse, Jay Z, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, The Roots, Method Man, etc.) come out release albums and they fail to move 100,000 units within the first two weeks of release...There is only one place to go when that happens either sign to Koch or form an independent/start up label yourself (Nature Sounds, Babygrande, Stone's Throw, BBE, Think Differently, Shaman Work, etc. are always an option as well). I want to see Lupe do well...it SUCKS to be cynical and have little to no confidence that people wll respond well to certain things. One.

Status
Not open for further replies.